Quantcast Never again - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never again

Post Thanks / Like

We were there for nine days at the end of August, leaving on Labor Day. It was great. Not crowded at all, including the water parks. We had a great time (though it was unseasonably cool...bonus!). We've always gone in October/November/December, and even during the Food & Wine Festival it was not too crowded, except on Weekends. During the week it was awesome.

We've also been in April, and never had bad crowds or lines. The next time we go, we're thinking about trying January out. We hear that is the true offseason.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    The next time we go, we're thinking about trying January out. We hear that is the true offseason.
    Not anymore. :/

Post Thanks / Like

I would not recommend January. We went once, never again. While the weather was great - the parks are taken over by the tour groups from Brazil. We too are trying figure out a better time to attend when the crowds are less (if possible). We have done end of Oct. beginning of Nov. and the weather was amazing then. It was crowded but we expected that for Food & Wine (which was great fun). Don't know what time of year to try next, we don't like the super hot times of the year so it narrows it down. Hmm, boils down to luck maybe?
    Dahling!

Post Thanks / Like

I was in WDW Sept 19-25th this year--right up to the day before Epcot Food & Wine started. I found the crowd levels to be fairly low. Although there were still school-age children--regardless of school vacations, some parents seem to not think twice about taking their children out of school at any time.

To some extent whether each visitor considers it "crowded" depends on the individual person--what times they tour the parks, what they expect to get accomplished in one day, etc. Since I go regularly, when I'm visiting at a busy time I dial down my expectations as to how many rides I'll go on and instead focus on the experience and the special goings-on. For example, on a Christmas visit we skipped the parks entirely on Christmas Day and enjoyed a leisurely visit to the MK resorts to see the holiday decor and have a quiet Christmas lunch at Kona Cafe. It was the best Christmas ever! On the other hand, I've braved Epcot for NYE twice and the experience has been amazing--I didn't expect to do a lot of rides but instead just enjoyed the experience: the dancing, the music, peoplewatching, and of course the amazing fireworks.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan1979 View Post
    Although there were still school-age children--regardless of school vacations, some parents seem to not think twice about taking their children out of school at any time.
    We take our kids out. I just don't see how missing one week of school in the 4th grade (or 8th grade, or, quite frankly, high school) is going to affect their life or learning in the long run. But the memories made with family...the fun, the relationship building...will last forever.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

1326 miles from the most magical place on earth
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    We take our kids out. I just don't see how missing one week of school in the 4th grade (or 8th grade, or, quite frankly, high school) is going to affect their life or learning in the long run. But the memories made with family...the fun, the relationship building...will last forever.

July'05 - Offsite
    July '06 - AKl
    April '07 - offsite
    July 08 ~ AKV!
    April 09 - SSR 1st time as DVC Member!
    July 09 - AKL-Kadani Village/SSR...
    Dec.'09- AKV
    May '10- Beach Club
    June '11- AKL
    July '13- AKL
    Feb 14 - Wilderness Lodge/Bay Lake Towers
    October 15-AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tink'72 View Post
    I am the daughter of an elementary school teacher and growing up I saw first hand what a burden it was on the teacher to have to catch up students who miss a whole week of school--hours spent with the child after school, missed tests, and the like. What if a key concept was taught that week?

A day or two tacked on to the beginning or end of a school vacation week or holiday weekend is one thing but I respectfully disagree with those parents who believe it's OK to take their children out of school for a whole week. I had perfectly happy vacations at Disney growing up during the months of July and August with the rest of the crowds. My parents put a priority on school and I'm thankful to them for it.
    DVC Member
    Boston, MA and Celebration, FL

Post Thanks / Like

Why are people complaing about a lack of a slow season? Disney is a comapny just like anyone else. They don't want their assets sitting idle and not earning a return. They key for Disney is to be able to keep people moving so they feel they are getting their moeny's worth and to keep that Disney experience in tact. Maybe FastPass+ will be the key to that? They've said it is just in trail phase, but maybe it would get to a point where you could have up a dozen FastPasses in a day or perhaps be usable at multiple parks. Yes, it's not the Disney that it was 20, 30 or 40 years ago, but they're still the best!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We were there from the 18th to 25th and it was the busiest October I had ever seen.

Also, the free dining offer that we took advantage of began on the 18th.

We're not sure is well do October again...

By the way, AVOID the Magic Kingdom during extra evening hours!!!! Monday was packed! It was very difficult to leave the park after the electric parade. :crowd
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
    We were there from the 18th to 25th and it was the busiest October I had ever seen.

Also, the free dining offer that we took advantage of began on the 18th.

We're not sure is well do October again...

By the way, AVOID the Magic Kingdom during extra evening hours!!!! Monday was packed! It was very difficult to leave the park after the electric parade. :crowd
    I'm another one about to give up on October. We were there 10/15-10/25, for the 6th mid-October in a row. Every year has gotten busier and busier, until this year was virtually impossible. We did all the touring plans, avoiding the "busiest" park and avoiding weekends at the F&W. But it was still unbelievably crowded!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K8screen View Post
    I am currently in line for RnRC on what will be my last EVER trip to WDW. For those of us who cannot afford to stay on property the lines in all the parks without FP+ are horrendous. I have visited many times including July 4th last year and never experienced wait times like this. Today we got into DHS at 8.55 and ran to TSM. The FP return was already 2.45 and standby wait 65 mins. So far we have been in this line for 45 mins and are still not in the building. Epcot and MK were the same.If you are lucky enough to be able to afford on property stays FP + is great. If you can't afford it, then stay at home. I will.
    This is precisely the reason that I'm not loving FPP. My husband, parents and myself went into epcot and at 9:20 the FP for SOARIN were GONE!!!! The test track FP was for 6:55-7:55 that night and it was 9:35! Insane!!!!

98 days!!!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I have no idea if it is a factor but Disney has been doing a ton of TV advertising in FL highlighting you can buy a seasonal pass for $19 a month.
    We were told by a lot of people that these seasonal passes referenced to above, were running out and everybody was flocking to the parks to use them before they expired.
    We love going in October and we were just there from the 15th through the 23rd. It was a LOT more crowded than past trips. We went to a MNSSHP on Thursday, Oct. 17 and it was sold out! That had never happened in the past and I think it's a sign that Disney is just getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Just read that the first Christmas party on Nov. 8 is already sold out. I think crowds are only going to get bigger from here on out, because Disney does a great job marketing and advertising and they've been concentrating on reaching out to Florida residents and filling the parks in what have been somewhat slower months in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epceddie View Post
    We were told by a lot of people that these seasonal passes referenced to above, were running out and everybody was flocking to the parks to use them before they expired.
    We love going in October and we were just there from the 15th through the 23rd. It was a LOT more crowded than past trips. We went to a MNSSHP on Thursday, Oct. 17 and it was sold out! That had never happened in the past and I think it's a sign that Disney is just getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Just read that the first Christmas party on Nov. 8 is already sold out. I think crowds are only going to get bigger from here on out, because Disney does a great job marketing and advertising and they've been concentrating on reaching out to Florida residents and filling the parks in what have been somewhat slower months in the past.
    As far as I know, Florida resident seasonal passes don't have any fall blockout dates, so there's no looming expiration date. The next blockout date period for seasonal passes doesn't start until Dec. 19, so that wouldn't explain the sudden uptick in crowd levels.

More likely is that their marketing is working to draw more Florida residents during the Food and Wine Festival and Halloween parties. And, of course, the economy is slowly getting better, so maybe all those people who postponed Disney trips have enough money to take them now.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    As far as I know, Florida resident seasonal passes don't have any fall blockout dates, so there's no looming expiration date. The next blockout date period for seasonal passes doesn't start until Dec. 19, so that wouldn't explain the sudden uptick in crowd levels.

More likely is that their marketing is working to draw more Florida residents during the Food and Wine Festival and Halloween parties. And, of course, the economy is slowly getting better, so maybe all those people who postponed Disney trips have enough money to take them now.
    You are correct. The seasonal does not have fall block out dates. There are occasionally special FL resident 3-4 day passes that do have an end date but I'm not sure if there have been any recently.

The seasonal FL pass ads have highly the low costs (19/month) and emphasize if you have been to Disney in awhile come see what's new.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

The Christmas party starts on Nov 8th? No wonder the parks are so busy. I think more people than ever know about the special events. I remember when the food and wine festival was shorter in length and less crowded.

I was going to suggest the week or two between the end of the food festival and thanksgiving, but now I don't know.
    Susan A

Post Thanks / Like

you have my sympathies to a point.

I love WDW so will deal with some minor headaches but also understand many more people besides myself want to see and experience it too.

That being said, I STILL have not been able to ride TSM. Something has to be done to fix this ride, either the queue area, making the ride longer to allow for more riders, something. There is no good reason why one ride has to wipe out its fastpass by noon or never have shorter than a 65 minute standby all day. I know there isn't a lot to do in the Studios, but the other rides and attractions seem to cope.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post

That being said, I STILL have not been able to ride TSM. Something has to be done to fix this ride, either the queue area, making the ride longer to allow for more riders, something. There is no good reason why one ride has to wipe out its fastpass by noon or never have shorter than a 65 minute standby all day. I know there isn't a lot to do in the Studios, but the other rides and attractions seem to cope.
    Toy Story Mania is very doable with a little planning. Be at the park at opening (earlier, if you want to beat the long lines at the turnstiles) and head straight to TSM. Pick up a Fastpass first, then get in the standby line (which should be only 5-15 minutes at this point). That way you'll be able to ride it twice.

I understand your frustration, but TSM is just a very popular ride, especially given the fact that there is no height restriction as there is with many of the other rides at DHS. If you've never been on it, it's well-worth the effort of getting there early.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crowds

Another issue I think that is impacting crowding at the parks during off season are the special parties at MK like MNSSHP. It was closed early 3 nights during the week we were there which forced other guests to the only park open which was generally EPCOT. Sadly, the park hours may say the park is open until midnight or 1 am but it was also a special event night. One a week is tolerable but when on a one week vacation, it is annoying to be excluded unless you pay extra for an already expensive vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Toy Story Mania is very doable with a little planning. Be at the park at opening (earlier, if you want to beat the long lines at the turnstiles) and head straight to TSM. Pick up a Fastpass first, then get in the standby line (which should be only 5-15 minutes at this point). That way you'll be able to ride it twice.

I understand your frustration, but TSM is just a very popular ride, especially given the fact that there is no height restriction as there is with many of the other rides at DHS. If you've never been on it, it's well-worth the effort of getting there early.
    I think the fact that you have to set an alarm on vacation just to be able to experience a ride is a bit crazy. For me and the rest of my family, one of the joys of any vacation is NOT having to set an alarm like we have to do every day for work. We are not morning people! That isn't any better to me than having to schedule a Fastpass using FP+. At least with FP+, I can choose to get the fastpass for later in the day. The few times I've ridden TSMM has been in the last hour of Evening EMH.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

agreed!

I think that the fact that one has to do any legwork to ride/experience something shows a very big flaw. only Everest and soarin come close to this, and even then pretty much anyone can see these without much effort. Everyone should get the chance to experience TSM, not just the ones who show up hours early and race straight to it once the gates open...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)