Quantcast Poly Refurb- anyone there this week, next (10/21)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poly Refurb- anyone there this week, next (10/21)

Trying to get "real-time" Intel on the Poly refurb. Anyone there this week or planning in being there next week?

Talked to Poly front desk. Not looking good for Tahiti and Hawaii TP views, Was told the refurb is a "major undertaking" and would not be what we are used to (at Poly TP view prices). Trying to decide if we change resorts . Would love to hear from anyone at Poly this week or next, photos would be great too.
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were there last week, Hawaii bldg, Theme park view. We had a perfect view of the lagoon, castle, nothing lessened our experience with the theme park view. To the right of us, was a green fence blocking sunset point, and you really had to go out of your way to be bothered by it, it blended into the landscape. We heard nothing, nothing lessened our Poly experience. It was as lovely and magical as ever. I would have no worries, I would simply go and enjoy the Poly.
    Lisa
    Multiple visits over Multiple years
    30 plus stays at Disney's Polynesian resort

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa - You are a life saver and I am so encouraged by your reply, thank you. We really do not want to change resorts. We always stay in Tahiti bldg room 2027 but because the beach is closed in front of the building we were also researching the Hawaii bldg, in which we have never stayed.

Would you mind sharing your room number so that we can get a feel for where in the long house you were staying? Did you happen to get a glimpse of work around the Tahiti bldg? Sounds like you were not disturbed by cranes, backhoes and the like -- which is great to hear.

The CM I s/w yesterday really gave the indication that the refurb would be very obtrusive and we would be disappointed. This will be our first trip back to the Poly in five years (after many at the Boardwalk) and we are so looking forward to it.

Thank you again!

Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't a refurb. This is DVC construction with Tahiti and Rapa Nui being converted to DVC with new bungalows around Sunset Point. Both those buildings will be unavailable during the construction. If they still are available they won't be for long. I will be there Saturday and have a better idea after that.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your response PD. We check in on 10/25 and I was told by Poly front desk yesterday that Tahiti is currently open...though, they did not indicate as to if it would be open during our stay (guess I should have been more specific).

Tahiti/Moorea is our favorite but it sounds like if we want less disruption we might be better off trying to upgrade to the Hawaii building as the beach is closed in front of Tahiti (though, we do love the access to the TTC).

Would that be your take as well? Any recommendations on room location/number in Hawaii? We like a balcony and I understand that second floor rooms do not have balconies and first floor rooms in Hawaii are now being offered at standard room prices because of the obstructed view/fencing.

With your long history at Poly we would welcome any guidance you could provide as we will be returning "home" to the Poly after five years at Boardwalk and are looking forward to the magic.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be sure, Hawaii is all CL. All of third floor is TPV except for one lagoon room right at the end. Second floor rooms do not have balconies so first or third is the best choice, personally we love the third floor and midway down the hall around 3507 tends to be the a good choice.

There are pictures around appearing to show some of the ground floor Tahiti rooms having some of the view blocked so you try to move. Wish I could find them again but so far no luck. I believe it's those that are being sold as standard not Hawaii. No Hawaii rooms are being obstructed by the fencing that's up now.

We're there til the 26th so maybe will run into you. If you upgrade you may not be able to not do CL in the future. That's what happened to us.

Post Thanks / Like

We are here right now staying at the Katatonga building...it is beautiful! Not sure if this is updated or not?? We booked a standard room and we are on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the pool Not sure if this is an upgrade or what a regular room is but we are pretty happy right now This is our first time staying at the poly
    2 TRIPS AS A CHILD!
    00-CBR 1st trip with now husband!
    05 ASM
    07 CR & 1st MNSSHP
    08 POFQ MNSSHP
    09 BW MNSSHP
    10 AKL MNSSHP
    11 CS MNSSHP!
    12 Two DL Trips & MNSSHP
    13 POLY MNSSHP
    14 WL MNSSHP
    15 POLY MNSSHP
    16 CS & 10th MNSSHP
    17 POR & MNSSHP
    18 AKL 1st MVMCP
    19 POR MNSSHP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    This isn't a refurb. This is DVC construction with Tahiti and Rapa Nui being converted to DVC with new bungalows around Sunset Point. Both those buildings will be unavailable during the construction. If they still are available they won't be for long. I will be there Saturday and have a better idea after that.
    Not so sure about "not a refurb" because, though rumors can't be trusted, the Great Ceremonial House is "supposedly" on the list for some major revamping during the DVC additions. Of course, we've been hearing that kind of thing for years and it could be more talk. But it seems like if it was ever in the plan, now would be the time to take it on. Or, as rumored, in 2014.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Garth. Can you comment on what kind of construction/equipment/blocked theme park view there us from the Tahiti building (east side in beach)? Have a great time.

Lol, Poly Dweller- once bitten by the CL bug? called today and no CL/Hawaii available during our stay. Called as not sure we want to take chance on Tahiti but now no option. Thank you for all your feedback- truly helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Not so sure about "not a refurb" because, though rumors can't be trusted, the Great Ceremonial House is "supposedly" on the list for some major revamping during the DVC additions. Of course, we've been hearing that kind of thing for years and it could be more talk. But it seems like if it was ever in the plan, now would be the time to take it on. Or, as rumored, in 2014.
    I know about that rumor and there are a few others that aren't anywhere near confirmed yet. I never talk about them until there's something that seems solid. Over 55 years being around Disney Parks I've learned that rumors and even plans change and even disappear frequently.

But the "not a refurb" comment was about what's actively happening right now and that is the DVC construction which is beyond a refurb.

Post Thanks / Like

Garthbarth1,
    You mean Rarotonga? Nice location but not an upgrade. Did you get a king bed room?

As for construction progress they had some earthmovers in the other day moving around some dirt and reports say that yesterday they put markers out in the water. Eventually because of where the bungalows are going about half of the views from Hawaii will start to be affected because they are in line of the view from the room to the castle. Major work has not even started out there yet. Most of the work has been marking off the area with the walls and work to rip up the parking lot next to Rapa Nui. I expect to see Tahiti and Rapa Nui to close very soon. Staff that I know at the resort are very surprised that it is not closed yet.

Major work to the main pool will not start until next year and the last statement from people working on the project say it can take from 8 months to a year. I am very surprised it will take that long but they would be the ones who know. Also I believe GCH work will wait until next year.

Just FYI that when you call the resort you will never be actually talking to the front desk. Their phones are not even capable of taking outside calls and you will not be forwarded to someone there. Most of the time you will not even be talking to someone at the resort. This is way often wrong or out of date information is given out when you call the resort number. I know this because I just had a discussion with someone who works at the Polynesian and knows how the whole system works. In fact when you call the front desk from your resort room you don’t even talk to someone at the resort. It is someone at a call center that will direct your call to the appropriate department.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Tikiman. I only just discovered your site and it has been a really big help in regards to how we may want to shift our Poly stay, checking in on 10/25. As discussed, we love the Tahiti building and always have had room 2027 with a TPV but it now sounds like even as early as next week that Tahiti might be closed. Called yesterday to see if we could get a TPV in Hawaii and pay the CL upgrade and there are no rooms available. Based on what you say here sounds like as early as next week there could be limited view from Tahiti -- do you agree? Seems crazy to pay these prices and have a crane in front of the Castle - so disappointed. Made a couple of rounds of calls yesterday -- two CM's were in the call center. One told me that SP and Tahiti beach work would be done by 10/20 (this Sunday?) and that Tahiti is open. The other said that the work would continue to at least the end of the year and Tahiti was open. Finally, I asked to be connected to the Poly itself so they forwarded me to Bell Services who transferred me to Casey at the front desk. She said that buildings 5, 9,10 and 11 are all affected and that this is a "big undertaking" with noise during the day and cranes out there now. She also said that only half of Hawaii is affected. Based on your experience and updates - any recs? Take a chance on Tahiti or move to another resort? We really would rather not be in the marina area. So disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

So club level is booked? I would have suggested that you spend the same money on garden club level as you would for TPV non-club level. That way your view will not be disrupted and you can enjoy the view from the lounge. All of the lagoon side of Tahiti has had walls up for a while now. I have been posting photos every few days that people send me from the resort to track progress. The walls at Tahiti are a few feet off the patios and totally block the views. The Cast members at the resort are surprised Tahiti is not already closed and I know back I September someone working on the project thought it would be closed in a matter of days. I don’t see Tahiti remaining open much longer and even if it was it would be the last place I would suggest. It is in very bad shape, the rooms were not refurbished and it is surrounded by walls. Samoa, Niue and even Rarotonga should be good locations but you are not going to have a lagoon or TPV room. They reduced the number of TPV rooms in Aotearoa and Tuvalu only has so many so it is going to be hard to get one once Tahiti closes. I hear some of the Hawaii rooms on the lagoon side might be re-categorized garden view and remain that way after the bungalows block their view of the castle.

To be honest, for the next 2 years, if you want to avoid major construction than I would pick Beach Club myself or Contemporary if you want to remain on the monorail.

Post Thanks / Like

Also for the same price as TPV in Hawaii the Honeymoon suite in Tonga is nice but it is a king bed. They just remodeled the whole lounge in Tonga and have more offerings.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Tahiti/Moorea is a mess even if the walls only cover the patio room views (we usually like second or third floor). Appreciate the suggestion of the garden view Hawaii and then the lounge but mostly we do our fireworks etc in the parks and then like to come back to the room and sit on the balcony after my DD goes to sleep. What a mess -- I want to give Poly a try but fear that we will be greatly disappointed, which is such a shame as we were returning after five years at the Boardwalk. THanks for all the insight, sharing with family this eve.

Post Thanks / Like

Tikiman - Do you have pictures of the construction around Tahiti? I have seen the fences around SP and the parking lot but not Tahiti -- probably shouldn't even look

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wiltsan View Post
    Tikiman - Do you have pictures of the construction around Tahiti? I have seen the fences around SP and the parking lot but not Tahiti -- probably shouldn't even look
    I pust updates and photos on my Facebook almost every day. I can't get to it at work but if you search Tikiman on Facebook you will find it. I have some in my news section of my site but I don't post that daily.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: