Quantcast AVATAR Project Details & New Nighttime Entertainment Announced for Animal Kingdom - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I've never seen Avatar, so I can't say one way or the other whether or not I like the film.

I can say that I've never read a single Harry Potter book nor seen a single Harry Potter film, but that didn't stop me from being blown away by WWoHP when I went last year.

I sort of think this will be the same kind of deal. Unfortunately, from what I've read, it sounds like Disney might be following US instead of doing something groundbreaking.

" ... discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee ... "

Why am I picturing a ripoff of Forbidden Journey?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Trying to keep an open mind since I've never seen Avatar. But I really can't believe that they think this is going to be a huge draw given how long ago the movie came out.

Also, I always thought that the DAK wasn't open at nigh because Ty said it woul be cruel to he animals. So as a previous poster mentioned I'm hoping they will find a way to rotate the safari animals between day and night safari. The DAK is my fav WDW park so I'm glad to see them investing in it but think the original Beastly Kingdom idea would have been better.

And I find it interesting that they saved this announcement for the Japan Expo as opposed to the recent Expo in the US.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea....I'd like to try AK at night time and expanding it. AK for me is a half-day trip so maybe this will make it a whole day trip for my family. Can't wait for the boat ride, show and Banshee attraction.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy View Post
    Trying to keep an open mind since I've never seen Avatar. But I really can't believe that they think this is going to be a huge draw given how long ago the movie came out.
    How long ago did Splash Mountain come out? I bet you 99% of the people who ride it have no idea the ride is based on Song of the South... They just know it as that great log flume in WDW... IP matters not... The theme and the attraction matters the most... And Pandora lends itself to a beautiful theme park land, providing WDI does this right... And the attractions, let's just say they will be VERY popular, despite the Avatar IP...

And I find it interesting that they saved this announcement for the Japan Expo as opposed to the recent Expo in the US.
    They didn't have anything set in stone (green lit) to announce in the U.S. in August... That's why there was no Star Wars announcement either... Was not green lit yet... Plans were still in flux...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so very very very excited about this...my entire family LOVES Avatar! This will make AK a must do park for us which it never has been! We went once years ago and never went back! SO SO SO HAPPY! Avatar is a wonderful addition to Disney World!!!!! YIPPEEEE!
    Disneyland '73 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '81 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '87 off site (Family Home)
    Disney World '92 off site (Family Home)
    DW Oct. '07 WL
    DW Sept '08 POFQ
    DW July '09 Off site (Family Home)
    DW Feb '12 POFQ
    DW Nov '13 Off site (Hilton Parc Soleil, YUCK!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    How long ago did Splash Mountain come out? I bet you 99% of the people who ride it have no idea the ride is based on Song of the South... They just know it as that great log flume in WDW... IP matters not... The theme and the attraction matters the most... And Pandora lends itself to a beautiful theme park land, providing WDI does this right... And the attractions, let's just say they will be VERY popular, despite the Avatar IP...

They didn't have anything set in stone (green lit) to announce in the U.S. in August... That's why there was no Star Wars announcement either... Was not green lit yet... Plans were still in flux...
    We rarely agree disneyfreak but on this we do.

I think Avatar gives them a creative framework for an imaginary land that the more vague beastly kingdom lacked. It really has the perfect conservation message that underlies all of animal kingdom. I don't think knowing avatars characters or details will in anyway be necessary to experience the attractions to their fullest.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

The concept art is beautiful wouldn't mind taking a stroll through Avatar even though I haven't seen the movie. And would really hope they do a great job with the lake show. Although I don't think this will make it any competition for MK or Epoct it may be enough to justify the expense.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post

I think Avatar gives them a creative framework for an imaginary land that the more vague beastly kingdom lacked. It really has the perfect conservation message that underlies all of animal kingdom. I don't think knowing avatars characters or details will in anyway be necessary to experience the attractions to their fullest.
    Exactly! And people also keep pointing out the military aspect of the movie... So far, nothing we have heard about this new land will include any part of the military story in the movie... Everything that made the movie visually stunning will be included... As long as WDI does not screw this up... With Cameron looking over their shoulders (and possibly even playing lead), this should be fantastic... It is Orlando's management team I have no faith in... Good thing the biggies in California are leading this project too...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

If the Beastly Kingdom stuff was completed within the first couple of years that AK was open, I think we would be enjoying the concepts more than we think we would if it was built now. It would have evolved, in some ways, since 1998/2000 certainly as well.

I just hope they make something great that stays that way. No massive Yeti that ends up in strobe mode after making TV specials talking it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm So excited about Avatar in the Animal Kingdom and new Nighttime entertainment is awesome and I can't wait for 2017!
    JEANY SANCHEZ
    January 2022 Polynesian Village Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWdriver View Post
    I don't understand either, Gary. But I think you should know that all the Disney Security people are carrying your photo.
    This made me giggle.

I wasn't a fan of the movie Avatar at all. However looking at the pictures, the sheer beauty of this expansion has really drawn my eye. The boat ride attraction through the beauty really appeals to me.

I'll be looking forward to it!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post

I agree 100% as well. Ak now has more theming for those who don't enjoy watching animals. I love the nature and African/Asian culture of AK, but not so much animal attractions like Rafiki's Planet Watch. This is what AK needs to expand and appeal to a wide-range of people.
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they really do up the boat ride. There's a LOT of potential there to create something truly magical.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to wait only five to six years for this after the Avatar area was announced. I went to the D-23 Expo and feel cheated! Green light/red light, something should of been shown or said here, not all of the early info told in Asia.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Never have been less excited about a Disney World expansion concept. So much more that could of been on the proverbial horizon that will now go by the wayside or be delayed for the foreseeable future.

Don't see that dethroning Harry Potter in any fashion. While I trust that Disney imagineering will give it a good go, and it will turn out visually stunning with a potential for a decent E-ticket, it isn't something I'll be clamoring to be the first in line for.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlueLacheta View Post
    Never have been less excited about a Disney World expansion concept. So much more that could of been on the proverbial horizon that will now go by the wayside or be delayed for the foreseeable future.

Don't see that dethroning Harry Potter in any fashion. While I trust that Disney imagineering will give it a good go, and it will turn out visually stunning with a potential for a decent E-ticket, it isn't something I'll be clamoring to be the first in line for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    Have to wait only five to six years for this after the Avatar area was announced. I went to the D-23 Expo and feel cheated! Green light/red light, something should of been shown or said here, not all of the early info told in Asia.
    How can you show something that isn't green lit yet? Yes, they announced this in 2011... Iger totally jumped the gun on that... He was kicked in the shins because Universal has been beating their brains in with Harry Potter and the current expansions going on... Iger needed to say "Hey, we are doing something too!!!!" Instead of waiting until they have something concrete, he jumped to announce the partnership...

But they cannot show concept art if they have no concept in design... At D23 in Anaheim, they literally had nothing ready to showcase... That is why the theme parks presentations were cancelled... They had nothing official... They now do... That is why we got the concept art released Friday night/Saturday morning...

And they are still debating about the TRUE e-ticket that was to anchor the land.. The Soarin ride isn't that E, but may wind up being it... I don't think people realize how much red tape is involved in the Disney company politics and approval process... Disney Company management is too bloated...

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how people would feel if it wasn't tied to the movie.

In other words, if Disney simply announced that they were creating a new, fantastical imaginary world created in part by James Cameron, set in Animal Kingdom, I wonder if there would be as much negativity. I'm guessing there would be a lot more excitement related to the fantasy aspect of it in AK.

That's kind of how I approach it. Especially after seeing the concept art, I'm looking forward to it. Whether or not you've liked the movie, or even seen it, is I think irrelevant.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fair point Aurora. I've never seen the movie so have no feelings about it one way or another. But I love the concept art and any expansion at WDW gets me excited. It's just a wait and see situation, especially with the opening date so far off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that the announcement being made at the D23 event in JAPAN had everything to do with drumming up international interest in this project, to get them over to WDW to see it, since the overseas, particularly Asian, markets are who really latched onto Avatar. Don't buy at ALL that they "didn't have anything ready" to present at D23 in Anaheim only 2 MONTHS AGO. That stuff doesn't get done up overnight. They had the concept art and models ready. They waited on purpose.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: