Quantcast Planning a Solo Trip

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning a Solo Trip

I am thinking that my next trip to WDW may be a solo trip...my first so its scary and exciting. For those of you who have done these or know others that have, what suggestions do you have? I'm thinking of going during the Flower and Garden Festival (new time of year for me too) but I'm still debating on where to stay, exactly when to go, where to make ADRs, etc. so any advice would be great! Thanks!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When to go... Anytime school is in session.

Where to stay... If you can afford it, Boardwalk area. Swan and Dolphin usually have decent rates.

See as many Eat to the Beat concerts as possible. I can't tell you how many times I was like, "Eh, I guess I'll see them", and it is always great.

I never make ADR's so can't help you there, but I recommend to eat at the bar of any restaurant that has one. If it's not busy, you can talk to the bartender, and if it is busy, you can talk to the person/people sitting next to you.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I had a blast last year on my 1st solo trip! I was there during the F & G Festival. It was a great time to go. I NEVER felt awkward or alone! I ate at both counter and table restaurants. Take advantage of single rider lines. It was so nice to be able to slow down and do what I wanted to do or not do! I even took the KTTKT~fantastic! Don't be afraid to talk to people. Everyone's friendlier at the Happiest place on earth. Most were a little jealous that I was solo. Some even invited me to join their families on rides! Relax and have fun. I would do it again in a heartbeat!!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Opus X Guest

Done it solo two times....NO idea what you mean by "scary"..Nothing scary about traveling to WDW!! It is incredibly fantastic to go alone and take it all in. Slow down. Smell the roses.
    I would recommend going when school is in also.
    The flower and garden festival is great and Early May is the BEST time to goto WDW.
    Low crowds...nice hot but not too humid weather.
    Ride al the attractions you want..see the shows. I wouldnt stress about ADR's
    When you are alone....its not too difficult getting a seat.
    At least it wasn't for me.

Post Thanks / Like

According to my Android countdown widget I have just 14 days until my first solo trip! Yeah, I'm not worried at all.

I read Scar's "Eat at the bar" thread a couple of years ago and I'm going to give it a go. I have no ADRs. Social aspects aside, I like eating at the bar because you are served quickly and you can eat and leave at your own pace. There's always room for 1 at the bar.

I'd say the Epcot area would be a good location, but I just stayed there so I'm going with the WL.

I don't have too much to offer right now, but I enjoy composing trip reports, so I should have one out in about 3 weeks.

Happy planning!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    According to my Android countdown widget I have just 14 days until my first solo trip! Yeah, I'm not worried at all.

I read Scar's "Eat at the bar" thread a couple of years ago and I'm going to give it a go. I have no ADRs. Social aspects aside, I like eating at the bar because you are served quickly and you can eat and leave at your own pace. There's always room for 1 at the bar.

I'd say the Epcot area would be a good location, but I just stayed there so I'm going with the WL.

I don't have too much to offer right now, but I enjoy composing trip reports, so I should have one out in about 3 weeks.

Happy planning!
    Yep...I ate at the bar EVERY place...NO wait and no planing...Except when i got a fast pass...and planned around the return time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDINK View Post
    Happy planning!
    Yeah... while not "solo" we did the "eat at the bar" thing a number of times on our Apr/May 2013 trip. Lots of great choices, never crowded, cool atmosphere. Although the full menu from the connected restaurant isn't usually available, what is available is wonderful, and it comes from the same kitchen.
    "Hey look... its the Incredibles parade!"

Post Thanks / Like

I love going solo. It is soooo relaxing. Not what I think of in a disney trip. No one to please but yourself, aaahhh.

May is a great time to go. You will miss the spring breakers. Weather is great. Flower and garden festival has a lot of great things to do.

When I go alone, I eat quick service or strike up conversations with the people in line, sitting around me, looking lost, sitting at the bar or by the pool. Its very easy. The only time i felt odd was getting ready for bed. I would miss the clamour of my family.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the "bar thread" for anyone interested.
    Jeff

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! My mom and sister are still up in the air about going this trip and I'm starting to feel a little guilty after reading this hoping that they might NOT go! Either way I will just be glad to get back! I think if I don't do a long solo trip this time I am going to treat myself to a mini-trip in the next year or so and go solo for that.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

ive done this a few times. u can go where u want wen u want
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from my 3rd solo trip! Sometimes it was a little lonely, but definitely not scary. Occasionally a little awkward saying "just one" for every ride and sit-down restaurant, but it was also nice and relaxing and got to be as selfish as I wanted, doing what I wanted when I wanted.

I ate at 6 table service restaurants, and never once sat at the bar. 3 were buffets so I didn't have any idle time, and at the 3 others I just read on my phone while I waited for my food. I saw someone else eating solo at one place, too. At the Flying Fish they asked if I wanted to sit at the bar, but I wanted a table, and that was fine.

I stayed at the Beach Club and it was a great resort! But I've also gone solo at Pop and POR.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

Hope to go during that time as my first solo trip too. Not made any definite plans though
    Stormi

2003 All star Sports
    2006 Pop Century

June 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2011 Pop Century
    Aug 2012 All Star Music
    June 2014 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I did a few solo trips in my early years of visiting the parks. On a least a couple of trips I went to Universal as well. It's been more than a decade since I've done solo trips to WDW, but I always had a good time. I would always split my stays between 2 resorts, and I believe on one trip I stayed at 3 different resorts ... A lot easier to move when you are by yourself, and it makes the trip more interesting getting to explore the different resorts as well.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

i also did a short solo trip in the past... definitely fun! no one's schedule to appease but your own! several rides the cast members let me have the ride to myself... splash mountain being the most memorable! i'd love to do it again in the future!!
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

Default enjoy the flexibility !

I think that the Food & Wine Festival or the Flower & Garden Show times of year would be great for a solo. You can enjoy the demonstrations & concerts and go/stay for as long as you want. Also, walking around AK, the trails, the trek, the bird show, all great for solo.
    Don't be shy about saying"1" to the ride attendants, for all they know, you split up from a group/family who went to ride something else.
    Take the time to chat with CMs.
    At your hotel/resort, sit by the pool or a random table/bench and people watch or read a book.
    On the plane or at the airport, there are tons of solo travelers, so you won't stick out there unless you bring up the topic that you're alone.
    Enjoy !!
    12/97 ASM
    12/99 Caribe Royale
    12/01 Best W.
    08/03 BC
    05/04 ASM
    08/04 POFQ
    04/05 PPH
    07/05 POFQ
    11/06 Pop
    03/08 POR
    05/08 POFQ