Quantcast Top 10 Greatest TV Shows - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

M*A*S*H

#1 in my book!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmj18 View Post
    M*A*S*H

#1 in my book!

Years ago this show used to show up on these types of lists in the top 5.

These lists are always changing, but they are interesting to read!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

My top 10 (no order, other then #1)

Supernatural
    CSI
    Survivor
    Simpsons
    Seinfeld
    ER
    Friday Night Lights
    Ghost Hunters
    Wonder Years
    My So Called Life

My favorite newer show is Duck Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Cindy, I am a huge Dark Shadows fan....Did it make the cut?
    I am watching the old Dark Shadows shows on Netflix.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    My top 10 (no order, other then #1)

Supernatural
    CSI
    Survivor
    Simpsons
    Seinfeld
    ER
    Friday Night Lights
    Ghost Hunters
    Wonder Years
    My So Called Life

My favorite newer show is Duck Dynasty

I am watching the old Dark Shadows shows on Netflix.

Seinfeld is my all time favorite. It's funny because I remember when it first came on and my younger sister told me to watch it because it was so funny. Well, I hated it. lol But since I was living at home at the time and she watched every week, so did I, and it grew on me.

Supernatural I watch almost every morning on TNT. That show is so well written and the plots are so interesting. It's a hidden gem and it doesn't hurt that Sam and Dean are so cute. Love the rock music they play on the show. I had read that Sam was only supposed to be a limited character but the chemistry between the two was so good they made him permanent.

Friday Night Lights...well I was depressed when it ended. I'm not at all interested in football but loved the characters. The man wrote created the series was from Philly and that's why they ended the show in Philly, filming at Temple.

I was a huge ER fan up until maybe the last 5 years. They got too preachy for me and felt a lot of what was written was bashing America.

Ghost Hunters. I watched this show for years also but lost interest for some reason.

Dark Shadows I have on DVD. I get a new season every Christmas.

If you like Dark Shadows there is a really good book called "Angelique's Descent" (Bogart's may have it). It tells the back story of how she became a witch and how she met Barnabas. It was written by the person (her name escapes me right now) who played Angelique on the TV show. I have read other Dark Shadows books, but they are not very good.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Friday Night Lights...well I was depressed when it ended. I'm not at all interested in football but loved the characters. The man wrote created the series was from Philly and that's why they ended the show in Philly, filming at Temple.

H.G. Bissinger
    I am a big high school football fan (Millville Thunderbolts season ticket holder ) and have read Bissinger's book of the same name that the movie and series were based.
    Great characters in the series. Same with Supernatural.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    From the sound of it, The Wire sounds like a very good show and well-written, but without a significant audience and the ratings that go along with that. In that sense, it's hard to imagine that it deserved to be the #1 show on the list, but once again, that's my interpretation. You do have me intrigued though; I may have to check it out. Is it offered on Netflix?
    Netfilx has it, with a 5 star rating, and the first line of the description is "Widely considered one of the finest-written dramas ever to appear on television..."
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of hard for me to respect a list that doesn't have M*A*S*H in its top 10 but has Buffy.

The finale to MASH aired 30 years ago, yet still remains the top watched episode of all time, only surpassed by a Superbowl viewing in 2010.

I would argue that Dallas should be in the top 10 as well, as it really changed prime time viewing for more than a decade, not only by creating other family prime time soaps/dramas (Knott's Landing, Falcon Crest, Dynasty) but it really established the cliffhanger as a season ending mechanic. I still recall looking at the tv guide the week after the "who shot JR" episode only to find a rerun!!

I wouldn't mind seeing Cheers in the top 10, but while it ruled tv for a decent period (and I think holds the record for the only show to open last in the ratings, yet still reach #1) it didn't really change tv.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    Kind of hard for me to respect a list that doesn't have M*A*S*H in its top 10 but has Buffy.

Last week's EW had Joss Whedon on the cover and a huge article about his new show, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . BUffy might have hit the top 10 because there is so much Joss love right now in the entertainment field.

I agree on MASH. It should have been higher. Dallas did make the list but at 61.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Cheers in the top 10, but while it ruled tv for a decent period (and I think holds the record for the only show to open last in the ratings, yet still reach #1) it didn't really change tv.
    I don't think that's true at all. The concept for Cheers was truly original, with the TV audience invited in as a "regular" at the bar. Every week people took a break from all their worries and went where "everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came" (shameless theme-song promoting). That theme was carried on right to the final show, where the audience walks down the steps to the entrance of Cheers, only to be told by Sam "Sorry, we're closed." I read that the show is also credited with serializing storylines from one episode to another, something that was wasn't done on sitcoms up until that time.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

So, this thread got me to thinking what other "greatest TV shows" list might be out there. Found a recent article from TV Guide that has the Writers Guild of America's 101 Best Written TV Series of All Time. I can relate more to the shows in the top ten on this list, although I must note that The Wire is on it too, just not in the #1 spot:

1. The Sopranos
    2. Seinfeld
    3. The Twilight Zone (1959)
    4. All in the Family
    5. M*A*S*H
    6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    7. Mad Men
    8. Cheers
    9. The Wire
    10. The West Wing
    11. The Simpsons
    12. I Love Lucy
    13. Breaking Bad
    14. The Dick Van Dyke Show
    15. Hill Street Blues
    16. Arrested Development
    17. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
    18. Six Feet Under
    19. Taxi
    20. The Larry Sanders Show
    21. 30 Rock
    22. Friday Night Lights
    23. Frasier
    24. Friends
    25. Saturday Night Live
    26. The X-Files
    27. Lost
    28. ER
    29. The Cosby Show
    30. Curb Your Enthusiasm
    31. The Honeymooners
    32. Deadwood
    33. Star Trek
    34. Modern Family
    35. Twin Peaks
    36. NYPD Blue
    37. The Carol Burnett Show
    38. Battlestar Galactica (2005)
    39. Sex & The City
    40. Game of Thrones
    41. (tie) The Bob Newhart Show; Your Show of Shows
    43. (tie) Downton Abbey; Law & Order; Thirtysomething
    46. (tie) Homicide: Life on the Street; St. Elsewhere
    48. Homeland
    49. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    50. (tie) The Colbert Report; The Good Wife; The Office (UK)
    53. Northern Exposure
    54. The Wonder Years
    55. L.A. Law
    56. Sesame Street
    57. Columbo
    58. (tie) Fawlty Towers; The Rockford Files
    60. (tie) Freaks and Geeks; Moonlighting
    62. Roots
    63. (tie) Everybody Loves Raymond; South Park
    65. Playhouse 90
    66. (tie) Dexter; The Office (US)
    68. My So-Called Life
    69. Golden Girls
    70. The Andy Griffith Show
    71. (tie) 24; Roseanne; The Shield
    74. (tie) House; Murphy Brown
    76. (tie) Barney Miller; I, Claudius
    78. The Odd Couple
    79. (tie) Alfred Hitchcock Presents; Monty Python's Flying Circus; Star Trek: The Next Generation; Upstairs, Downstairs
    83. Get Smart
    84. (tie) The Defenders; Gunsmoke
    86. (tie) Justified; Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show)
    88. Band of Brothers
    89. Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
    90. The Prisoner
    91. (tie) Absolutely Fabulous (UK); The Muppet Show
    93. Boardwalk Empire
    94. Will & Grace
    95. Family Ties
    96. (tie) Lonesome Dove; Soap
    98. (tie) The Fugitive; Late Night with David Letterman; Louie
    101. Oz
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Beth ... that's a pretty good list in my opinion.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Like that list (especially West Wing at #10) but how is Law and Order tied for 43? I loved Sex in the City, but don't see how it can be seen as a better written show than Law and Order (or Downton Abbey which is also 43).
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the Dallas post. That show did change how a series ended their season each year. Who Shot JR was all over the place. TV, songs on the radio, Tee Shirts.....It was ground breaking.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Like that list (especially West Wing at #10) but how is Law and Order tied for 43? I loved Sex in the City, but don't see how it can be seen as a better written show than Law and Order (or Downton Abbey which is also 43).
    I agree, Law and Order was very witty and well-written and should have been higher on the list. As for Downtown Abbey--you know I love that show for the characters and as a period drama, but I don't think it always has stellar writing. More soap-opera-ish than anything, but that's kind of what pulls me in every week (when it's on, anyway).
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

M*A*S*H's last few seasons really dropped in quality to me, and the number of years it lasted longer than the real Korean War got a little ridiculous. That would keep it lower on a list I would make.
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    Last week's EW had Joss Whedon on the cover and a huge article about his new show, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. . BUffy might have hit the top 10 because there is so much Joss love right now in the entertainment field.

I agree on MASH. It should have been higher. Dallas did make the list but at 61.
    I don't know much about Josh Wheedon, but I do really like his short lived series with Nathan Fillion, Firefly. That show died a premature death. Its easy to see how trending sentiments can impact a list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I don't think that's true at all. The concept for Cheers was truly original, with the TV audience invited in as a "regular" at the bar. Every week people took a break from all their worries and went where "everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came" (shameless theme-song promoting). That theme was carried on right to the final show, where the audience walks down the steps to the entrance of Cheers, only to be told by Sam "Sorry, we're closed." I read that the show is also credited with serializing storylines from one episode to another, something that was wasn't done on sitcoms up until that time.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved Cheers, the two part "Woody's Wedding" especially part 1 is still one of my favorite episodes of all time. I think Cheers gets bumped down a bit because it came at a time when the sitcom was riding its peak, with NBC's must see tv, with Cheers, Cosby, Family Ties, Night Court etc. NBC owned Thursday nights.

I guess I don't recall Cheers serializing story arcs as such, at least not in what I would think of as the traditional sense. They had the Sam-Diane will they won't they arc go on (beyond its shelf life imo) but for the most part the episodes were written as one-off stories.

Like MASH, Cheers survived addition by subtraction when Shelly Long left and Kirstie Alley came on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJDad View Post
    M*A*S*H's last few seasons really dropped in quality to me, and the number of years it lasted longer than the real Korean War got a little ridiculous. That would keep it lower on a list I would make.
    I would agree that the more screen credits that Alan Alda got as the years went on was symptomatic of when the show started its decline.

But its hard to argue about the early years and how well the show was written. Almost any list that talks about tv's top 10 most memorable moments, almost always has the death of Henry Blake right there in the top 10, usually near the top. It had never been done before, at least not like that, and how it was aired, even the cast was unaware of it as it was filmed. No show killed off a character like that. Add to that losing another star, Wayne Rogers, and a couple years later Larry Linville, and it shows how good a show it was to survive major changes like that.

I agree the last couple of years were getting harder to watch, but I can still sit down and watch and laugh at a season 1 or 2 episode as if it were airing for the first time.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: