Quantcast Reliable used car? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the input. My family has always had a Buick or Ford/Mercury. My first car was a 99 Ford Focus that I had for 2 weeks before the car malfunctioned, steering wheel locked, and I hit a tree (luckily only at about 5mph). It was totaled. I was not held accountable for the accident. Second car was a 94 Taurus which I actually LOVED but my mom got rear-ended in it when someone skidded out during an ice storm. Again, totaled. At one point we had my 2000 Taurus, and a 1999 and 2000 Mercury Sable in the family (Sable is basically the same car). They have all had lots of problems. Must've been a bad few years.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

How much are you looking to spend Maryanne?

Actually hit me up on FB, because I'll probably forget to check back in here!
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    For the record I was not being sexist. A "wife's car" is a vehicle that has very little extra maintenance done to it. Only fix what is broke due to neglect or lack of communication of problems. It can also be the third vehicle in the family that no one really drives. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    I understand what it means. Just because it's a term people use, doesn't mean it doesn't have a less than stellar connotation behind it. Thanks.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Opus X Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post

For the record, I'm a female and a wife and have always had impeccable maintenance, inspection, etc. records on all of my cars - pre and post-marriage. This is the same industry attitude many females receive when shopping for a car - as if they do not know what they are doing or do not properly care for/are informed about autos. Ladies out there - watch out for this when shopping for a new or used car!
    All the girls in my life...need introduced the the oil dipstick. My wife didnt even know where it was untill we met...same with her mom.
    I think engines and ladies go together as much a pampered chef and boys.
    Its funny though. While in the Military my supervisor was a female. She could assemble aany weapon you could show her faster than I could un assemble it. So you just never know!!

Opus X Guest

On the bright side, a lot of Subarus are assembled in America - both of my Legacy cars were 100% assembled in Indiana. Makes me feel a little better about my import
    thats true, my Forester (2012) is 100% Japanese.
    But, the Outback and Legacy are USA made in Indiana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    All the girls in my life...need introduced the the oil dipstick. My wife didnt even know where it was untill we met...same with her mom.
    I think engines and ladies go together as much a pampered chef and boys.
    Its funny though. While in the Military my supervisor was a female. She could assemble aany weapon you could show her faster than I could un assemble it. So you just never know!!
    Many of us "modern day ladies" like to be self-sufficient, well-informed and independent. By high school, I self taught myself to change tires, check oil and know the ins and outs of my cars. If necessary, I can also do so in 6 inch heels and a business suit without getting dirty at 6am.

I have successfully done all the research for my cars, from safety to what is a good purchase price. I can change a tire faster than my father and always can get a better % off the sticker price than he can.

All of the women I know are capable of checking oil, reading the manual included with their car, pumping their own gas, and MOST IMPORTANTLY following the maintenance instructions that come with their vehicle. Contrary to what some men apparently think, caring for a car and doing basic maintenance is not very difficult or something that requires a Y chromosome.

If you buy something that costs quite a bit of money that can be a lethal weapon, you better know the basics - and most women are responsible enough to handle this.

Let's stay away from gross generalizations and terminology that passively suggests that women as a whole are either neglectful, incapable or uninformed regarding vehicles.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Opus X View Post
    thats true, my Forester (2012) is 100% Japanese.
    But, the Outback and Legacy are USA made in Indiana.
    Yes, very true. My husbands STI is 100% from Japan. When he had to replaced a cracked windshield we had to wait quite a bit of time because it had to come from Japan and they had just had the nuclear leak as a result of the tsunami. The windshield had to go through a lot of custom holds and checks. Thankfully, it passed through without any indication of contamination!

Post Thanks / Like

Many of us "modern day ladies" like to be self-sufficient, well-informed and independent. By high school, I self taught myself to change tires, check oil and know the ins and outs of my cars. If necessary, I can also do so in 6 inch heels and a business suit without getting dirty at 6am.

I have successfully done all the research for my cars, from safety to what is a good purchase price. I can change a tire faster than my father and always can get a better % off the sticker price than he can.

All of the women I know are capable of checking oil, reading the manual included with their car, pumping their own gas, and MOST IMPORTANTLY following the maintenance instructions that come with their vehicle. Contrary to what some men apparently think, caring for a car and doing basic maintenance is not very difficult or something that requires a Y chromosome.

If you buy something that costs quite a bit of money that can be a lethal weapon, you better know the basics - and most women are responsible enough to handle this.

Let's stay away from gross generalizations and terminology that passively suggests that women as a whole are either neglectful, incapable or uninformed regarding vehicles.
    Well said!!

My father made sure I knew how to do my research and negotiate for myself when it came to any large purchase, be it a car or a home. He and Mom taught me to not let myself be bullied by a sales person and to know how to walk away.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Many of us "modern day ladies" like to be self-sufficient. . .
    Well, I consider myself modern and self sufficient. I'm a single mom and a registered nurse. I couldn't tell you one thing about my car. I take care of people's bodies. My mechanic takes care of my car. Sure, I could learn, but I have more important things to do with my time.

I didn't perceive it as passively suggesting that women are neglectful, incapable or uninformed. I read it as just another old saying like "shade tree mechanic".

To the OP, thanks for posting this. I'm in a similar situation and was just discussing options with my friends. I hope you find what you like.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post

Well, I consider myself modern and self sufficient. I'm a single mom and a registered nurse. I couldn't tell you one thing about my car. I take care of people's bodies. My mechanic takes care of my car.

I didn't perceive it as passively suggesting that women are neglectful, incapable or uninformed. I read it as just another old saying like "shade tree mechanic".
    There are a lot of old sayings that passively suggest one group as the lesser. It's not a very common term and I've heard it less and less over the years. This often leads to generalizations such as the earlier one that clearly admits that a "wife's car" is simply not well-taken care of by the owner, creating a buyer beware situation. Imagine how an ethnic group would feel if their label was thrown in there instead of "wife's". Just because something is subtle, doesn't mean it doesn't have a negative context.

As a side note, if you bring your car to a mechanic when necessary, you do not fit into this "wife's car" phraseology. This has nothing to do with knowing how to completely fix your car yourself. Rather, it has to do with defending the idea that women are responsible car owners. By going to a mechanic, you are caring for your car. If you're referring to these trips for regular, necessary maintenance like oil changes you have proven my point that the gender is capable of taking care of such matters.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of old sayings that passively suggest one group as the lesser. It's not a very common term and I've heard it less and less over the years. This often leads to generalizations such as the earlier one that clearly admits that a "wife's car" is simply not well-taken care of by the owner, creating a buyer beware situation. Imagine how an ethnic group would feel if their label was thrown in there instead of "wife's". Just because something is subtle, doesn't mean it doesn't have a negative context.

As a side note, if you bring your car to a mechanic when necessary, you do not fit into this "wife's car" phraseology. This has nothing to do with knowing how to completely fix your car yourself. Rather, it has to do with defending the idea that women are responsible car owners. By going to a mechanic, you are caring for your car. If you're referring to these trips for regular, necessary maintenance like oil changes you have proven my point that the gender is capable of taking care of such matters.
    Actually, I took it as the husband neglected the wife's car, since he didn't drive it, not that she neglected it. Either way, I didn't feel it was derogatory. Then again, I don't give much credence to stereotypes and rarely pay attention to that kind of stuff anyway. One can say all of the politically correct terms in such a way that it still carries disdain for whomever you want to talk down to or you can say things that aren't considered politically correct and not mean anything by them.

I think I really shook my head and gave up on it when government officials were no longer allowed to "brown bag" their lunch.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: