Quantcast Very far in advanced planning

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very far in advanced planning

Hello everyone! My fiance and I are planning our wedding for June of 2014 and we are starting to try to iron out some details for our guests. My big question is, what are the normal discounts offered around the first week of June? We went in May the last two years and have the 20% room discount on value resorts, but are now going a few weeks later due to a few different situations with some of our wedding guests that forced us to push our annual vacation back a few weeks. Everything we are planning so far is really coming together nicely, but the room discounts is a make or break for many of our guests.

Also, would it be worth it for one of us to get a Disney Visa to book the vacation part of our trip? I know you get a ton of rewards back if you're using the card, but I'm not sure if either of us would be approved. Her credit score is awesome, but she's a student and is currently waiting tables, mine on the other hand, *****.

Any help would be very well received and welcomed!

Thanks!
    First Disney Trip 1994
    Shades of Green 1999
    All Star Movies 2001
    Shades of Green 2009
    Pop Century 2011
    Bay Lake Tower 2012
    All Star Movies 2012 (Engagement Trip)
    All Star Music 2013
    Pop Century 2014 (Wedding Trip!)
    & Many More to Come!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Often the spring discounts run out before Memorial Day. We the first week of June 2012, and there were no discounts at all offered. Plus, it's the beginning of hurricane season and the end of Florida's school year. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but the week before (if it'd work out) has much better crowd levels and weather, typically. We spent multiple days under umbrellas and wading water.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes discounts are sometimes offered to Disney visa holders first. Also, you get 6 months free financing if you charge your package on the Disney visa.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney Visa gives some advantages but if your credit is less than good, you won't get it. I advise working on your credit (which you probably are and did not ask for advice on it) because once you're married, your credit will count for things like getting a mortgage. Even if hers is stellar, it will bring you both down. But if she has great credit and income, it might work for her now and that could help you with discounts and offers.

But of course, any time you request credit and are denied, it can count against you, so you will both need to decide if it's worth it for you. Congratulations and best wishes for your future together! I hope it all comes together as you plan.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney Visa Rewards card only makes sense if you pay the balance off in full every month (exception being the 6 months free financing on Disney packages purchased with the card). If you ever make a minimum payment or make a late payment you'll cost yourself more in interest than you'll gain in rewards. You say that your credit is poor so I'm guessing your track record of paying on time isn't the greatest? If that's why your credit score is low I'm not sure that getting a new credit card for the rewards is a smart move.

Re Discounts: At that point in the summer they need to discount less because more schools are out. In addition, Disney has been pretty clear that as the economy slooooooooooowly improves they intend to, and have been, offering fewer discounts. I would plan on paying rack rate and if a discount comes out consider that gravy. I wouldn't make plans for a trip that needs a discount to come out in the future in order to be affordable because there's simply no way to know if a discount will come out or how substantial it will be.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't terribly worried about getting a discount as I've already priced everything for our wedding guests at rack rate, just curious/hopeful for a discount. We are booking several rooms, so I'm going to call the different resorts we are looking at staying at to try to get a group room discount as I've been told by our wedding planner that with as many rooms as we are booking we would qualify for the group room rates.

Unfortunately, we have no other option to hold the wedding other than during the Summer so the prices for the vacation are going to be high for a few of our guests, but this is where my fiance wants her wedding so I intend to get her what she wants.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I know which route to go with booking now and what to tell my guests that have been asking!
    First Disney Trip 1994
    Shades of Green 1999
    All Star Movies 2001
    Shades of Green 2009
    Pop Century 2011
    Bay Lake Tower 2012
    All Star Movies 2012 (Engagement Trip)
    All Star Music 2013
    Pop Century 2014 (Wedding Trip!)
    & Many More to Come!

Post Thanks / Like

As someone previously stated, with the Disney VISA card you can get your trip with no interest for up to 6 months...but make sure that you pay it off by then. Also, I use my card for EVERYTHING in order to rack up the Disney dollars. Groceries, gasoline, car repairs, movies, dinner, etc. and pay it off every month because I'm using it like a debit card. If you put a trip on the card and have other charges you will be charged interest on the other charges. But, you can make some great spending money for your trip that way too.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on more than 10 rooms you may want to check-out the WDW Group site.

Happy planning
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: