Quantcast One person dead in a crash involving a Magical Express Bus

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magical Express Crash!

I just heard on Iocal news that an ME bus and a car were involved in an accident on Epcot Drive. One person has died. Such sadness. May God ease the pain that this has caused.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One person dead in a crash involving a Magical Express Bus

BAY LAKE --

One person is dead after a crash on Walt Disney World property involving a Disney's Magical Express bus and another car Friday near Epcot.

The crash happened just before 4 p.m. on Epcot Center Drive, near Overpass Road. Epcot Center Drive is completely blocked in that area.

One person, who was in the car, was pronounced dead at Celebration Hospital, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Reedy Creek fire officials said two other people on the bus, including a child, were also transported as a non-emergency precaution.

Disney officials confirmed the crash, saying the Magical Express is a Mears Transportation-owned and operated bus service that runs between Orlando International Airport to Walt Disney World.

One woman on the bus said on Twitter that her children were traumatized by the crash.

The woman, who asked not to be identified, said they were just arriving at Disney World when the crash happened. She said Mears told passengers they were waiting for clearance from FHP to move them off the bus.
    Not sure if the link is allowed but for updates go to http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...injuries_.html
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

How awful!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

A tragedy - for sure.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I have to say ... the roads in and around WDW are very, very hazardous. The signage just isn't that great and people are constantly in the wrong lane, switching at the last minute, weaving in and out of cars, and driving too fast.

I'm always nervous when I drive down there and I'm not one to ever be nervous about anything.

A tragedy to be sure, though. To be headed to your happy place and have this happen ... very, very sad.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Aw, how sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have to say ... the roads in and around WDW are very, very hazardous. The signage just isn't that great and people are constantly in the wrong lane, switching at the last minute, weaving in and out of cars, and driving too fast.
    I agree. Driving at Disney World doesn't bother me except for the unpredictability of the other drivers. You never know what they're going to do.

I have to admit something--when I read about the woman that tweeted that her children were traumatized by the accident, a tiny little cynical part of me saw a lawsuit being set up. Of course the children were traumatized, I would be traumatized as an adult, but I can't help being suspicious of these things.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, just read the article and saw that the poor passengers on the bus waited for two hours before being allowed to get on another bus and leave the scene. That's terrible. :\
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad, my heart goes out to the family of the driver that lost their life.

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I have to admit something--when I read about the woman that tweeted that her children were traumatized by the accident, a tiny little cynical part of me saw a lawsuit being set up. Of course the children were traumatized, I would be traumatized as an adult, but I can't help being suspicious of these things.
    Absolutely, that was the first thing I said to my kids.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

They were probably held that long because there was a fatality.
    Luckily we have cameras on our buses, including DME and DCL.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Very sad, my heart goes out to the family of the driver that lost their life.

Absolutely, that was the first thing I said to my kids.
    Ditto. I would bet that someone (a very uninjured someone) will take this tragedy and try to capitalize on it.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Opus X Guest

Condolenses..to all involved that were injured.
    knock on wood....We have never had any close calls while driving. Always...went smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! What a horrible thing to happen anywhere, but especially at Disney.

Driving is always a bit crazy at Disney, a bunch of people who have little to no clue where they are going.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

From the news report: "Investigators said witnesses told they [sic] the woman’s car stopped in the travel lane and the bus wasn’t able to stop in time."

Total speculation on my part, but if this turns out to be true, and guessing from the photo attached to the story, the woman may have become confused and stopped or slowed down just after the crest of a hill. It also looks like it had just rained.

Just tragic for all involved. My heart goes out to all the victims.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

They need to improve the signage. How very sad for all involved.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

This is such an example of driving anywhere in this area. I have never been so scared to drive as I am here. When you have such a huge popilation of folks from all over the PLANET driving in a small area, often for the first time, it is scary!
    I have seen tourists (out of state licenses so I knew that) drive backwards on an exit ramp on I-4 because they didn't mean to take that exit!
    I have seen folks stop in the traffic lane like this looking at their GPS and causing folks to slam on brakes & swerve.
    Could the signage be better? Yes. But it's also just a high risk in this area (wdw and te surrounding area).

This is a tragedy indeed. Horrible. And I'm grateful there weren't more fatalities or injuries than there were. My heartfelt condolences to those involved.

And bless the ME & WDW bus drivers that deal with this traffic daily and so such a good job keeping guests safe.
    Should anyone dishonestly decide to cash in on this horrible event - may God have mercy on their soul.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for the family of the person who died.
    My sympathies for the bus driver, having been a bus driver I can tell you that it doesn't matter if the accident wasn't their fault they will still be going over it in their mind wondering if there was anything they could have done to avoid it. I hope this isn't to hard on them.
    As for lawsuits I find it silly to worry about it, people do what they do. Both Mears and Disney have lawyers to take care of things like this and just because someone mentions that their kids are traumatized doesn't mean they are going to sue. I know I'd be pretty traumatized after someone dies and I have to stay on the very bus for 2 hours, I might tell a few people to.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased and for the bus driver and bus passengers.
    Haunted Mansion Girl
    1990 & 1992 Off Site
    2002 & 2003 Fort Wilderness
    2004 Disney Wonder & Fort Wilderness
    2005, 2008, 2011 & 2013 Riverside
    2006 & 2008 Pop
    2009 Disneyland
    2011, 2013 & 2014 Coronado Springs
    2012 CB Pirate Room
    2015 POR
    2016 June & Oct Off Site
    2017 Sept Coronado!

Post Thanks / Like

So sad

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is a tragedy for everyone involved and that driving in the area is hazardous and tregerous. And yes, the signs can be improved on. But that still doesn't excuse you from using common sense. You don't stop in the middle of the road on a busy road. People need to be more responsible and accountable for their actions.

Post Thanks / Like

New information: The woman was a Disney Cast Member. More from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5038252.story

Of particular interest: "Investigators interviewed passengers on the bus and drivers who witnessed the crash and will examine the Buick to see whether there was a mechanical problem that caused the driver to stop, Montes said. They'll also try to determine how fast the bus was going.

"There's a crest in the road near where the accident happened, and it's possible that the bus driver may not have seen the car until the last moment, she said."
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: