Quantcast Teens at Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Teens at Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teens at Disney

Hi all! We're taking a big family trip in Feb. which includes our 13 year old nephew. He's been maybe once before, but that was several years ago. At 13 he's less impressed by Disney World. Any special activities or anything you would specifically recommend for that age? My kids are much younger so I don't have personal experience with teenagers at Disney. Thanks in advance!
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Rent a boat at Bay Lake or Downtown Disney. What about a water park day? Disney Quest? Hope that helps.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Is he into the thrill rides - Test Track, Space Mountain etc?

The arcades located at each resort are often draws for kids this age.

If he's only been to Disney World once before, I'll bet there will be a lot he's impressed with even if he won't admit it to anyone but himself!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

my boys are 16. 18. and 20. they all love being at Disney. they havr no trouble finding things that interest them. we let them spend most of the day on their own.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

They tend to act disinterested at that age, and some are. But most lose the disinterested act and get into it all once there, so I wouldn't worry too much. My teens at that age would have rolled their eyes and scoffed at any suggestion of special "teen" activities. So I recommend just rolling with it, keep your plans and let him join in or opt out as you go.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, some will put up the "Disney World.....pffft" front until they get there and then they are big kids just like the rest of us. In all the many trips we have had to WDW with teenagers included, we have yet to see one not have a great time and get caught up in the magic once there. They usually are talking about "the next time" on the way back home. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sherri about the suggestion of "teen" activities. However, is there any way to incorporate the 13-year-old in the planning process? Maybe allow him to suggest a restaurant?
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with others that I think he will "soften up" over time once you are down there.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    I agree with Sherri about the suggestion of "teen" activities. However, is there any way to incorporate the 13-year-old in the planning process? Maybe allow him to suggest a restaurant?
    Good advice. That tends to help, too. My kids as teens loved all the parks especially thrill rides, Sci-Fi Dine-In, San Angel Inn, Anything in the Japan Pavilion (the store, plus Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining), and counter service over sit down meals, except for the above mentioned, most of the time.

Plus, they wanted some mornings to sleep in and hated being rushed around. Even though you might think it's important to get to x attraction first thing on park opening, a teen isn't likely to share your enthusiasm, even though they might really appreciate getting to ride x without lines when the opportunity presents. So basically, taking a more laid back approach when possible is the key to happier Disney time with teens.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

What are his hobbies or interests? I'm pretty sure there will be something at WDW to fit in with that aspect. That is a tough age but the WORLD has a way of breaking through.
    Have a great vaca.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I agree, some will put up the "Disney World.....pffft" front until they get there and then they are big kids just like the rest of us. In all the many trips we have had to WDW with teenagers included, we have yet to see one not have a great time and get caught up in the magic once there. They usually are talking about "the next time" on the way back home. lol
    I agree from similar experiences when I was a teen.

The thrill rides is a good place for teens. Also, this is an "out in left field" suggestion but if he has to go on kiddie/tame rides or shows, joke about the corniness of the ride/show to get him laughing. Or you some light sarcasm about the show/ride. An example of what I am talking about: if you are at the Country Bears, joke about how funny it would be if they sang gangster rap songs.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Good suggestions above - I just wanted to say that we didn't START going to Disney until my oldest was 14 - and our list trip was when our youngest was 14 (last September). They LOVE Disney - absolutely no teenage "blahs". I'll admit that they do also love a day or two at Universal with the bigger, badder thrill rides- but they'd be happy even without that. My 20 year old still expects us to take her every time....LOL
    ps - did anyone mention DisneyQuest? If he's a video gamer (most 13 year old boys are!) he should like that. I haven't personally been - mine are girls and therefore their most exciting thing to do is go shopping by themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

So this may seem a little weird, but it worked really well for us. My teenage son did not want to take pictures with the characters anymore. We were gathering a ton of pictures of my younger son's, but not my oldest. So I convinced him to start taking pictures with non-character cast members. He totally got into it. He took pictures with cast members from attractions, food servers, store clerks, and even a few willing guests. The cast members acted flattered and really got into it. Some made faces with him, some got groups of cast members together, some posed in specific photo locations, etc.

After a few days of doing this, he decided to take a picture with "country themed" cast members in each country of Epcot (coincidentally all female). So he has this cool, around the world, collage. Honestly, they are some of our favorite Disney World pictures.

Sept. 2019 Disney Dream
    Feb. 2016 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2013 Coronado Springs Resort
    Nov. 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2008 All Star Movies
    Nov. 2007 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Nov. 2004 Port Orleans Riverside
    May. 1999 Off Site
    Sept. 1997 Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thads View Post
    So this may seem a little weird, but it worked really well for us. My teenage son did not want to take pictures with the characters anymore. We were gathering a ton of pictures of my younger son's, but not my oldest. So I convinced him to start taking pictures with non-character cast members. He totally got into it. He took pictures with cast members from attractions, food servers, store clerks, and even a few willing guests. The cast members acted flattered and really got into it. Some made faces with him, some got groups of cast members together, some posed in specific photo locations, etc.

After a few days of doing this, he decided to take a picture with "country themed" cast members in each country of Epcot (coincidentally all female). So he has this cool, around the world, collage. Honestly, they are some of our favorite Disney World pictures.
    Ya know..Im 19 and i honestly might start doing this. Just to make the CM day. I know they have to love it.
    Been to Disney over 20 times...
    Last Trip: September 2014! All Star Sports
    Next Trip: September 2015???

Post Thanks / Like

If you do choose to do Disney Quest, please know that they have recently changed the policy and now anyone under 14 yo has to have a responsible person over age 14 with them. My daughters (13 and 18) did up Disney Quest in June and even with eating lunch, they were done there in just a few hours.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We took my son 18 years ago when he was 17, going on 30...he didn't like it then and doesn't like it now. We paid for his and my daughters family to go two years ago and he and his family left before the week was over. He says now, take the kids if you like but neither him or his wife are interested. Guess not everybody gets bit by the Disney bug.
    On the other hand, my daughter who lives in Georgia is ready to jump in the car with us every time we go. She has the Disney spirit. (But this next trip we're not tellin her we're goin! Is that mean?)

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post

The thrill rides is a good place for teens. Also, this is an "out in left field" suggestion but if he has to go on kiddie/tame rides or shows, joke about the corniness of the ride/show to get him laughing. Or you some light sarcasm about the show/ride. An example of what I am talking about: if you are at the Country Bears, joke about how funny it would be if they sang gangster rap songs.
    ANother "pull" would be for him to "help" his cousins (the younger ones ) on the rides-this way he goes on the kiddie rides not because he "wants" to but because he is being a good cousin and helping out (and he will probably love the rides too but would never say it!)
    2001--First time for DS and me!
    2004--First time for DD!
    2007--First time at Poly!
    2013--Thanksgiving with Mickey & good friends!

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was 15 for our 2004 trip and I loved every second of it. Then again I had been twice before in 2001 and 1998 so I knew what was coming.

I know it's a different age group but in 1998 my parents weren't overly enthused before going to WDW. It was just for the first week of 3 in Florida and "for the kids". When we got here they loved it and we came back several times in our second week and for the last couple of days in our third week. It can surprise people how much they like it once they are actually here!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love going with our teen

It is so much more laid back and relaxed! She, also 13, often brings a friend and they take off for a bit, we all sleep in, no rush anymore to anything. Don't get me wrong going with a young child is a blast and immensely rewarding but going with teens is terrific. Would he/you be OK with him taking the little ones around? My daughter takes her young cousins on rides, just around in the stroller or to shop too. As you can imagine my brother and his wife love the break. The great thing is, unlike when I was young, texting keeps us in immediate contact and teens always wander back once they have run out of money lol. Have a great trip. BTW its very nice of you to be thinking about your nephew and wanting to make sure he has a good time. I'm sure he will.
    Proud Disney Passholder, after all, it's all about the Mouse!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: