Quantcast Airfare

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airfare

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airfare

Is airfare terrible this year or what? We fly out of Chicago and because of where we live, we actually can do Ohare Airport, Midway, or Milwaukee. Typically we fly Airtran out of Chicago for 4 , it usually is about $650- $750 total the past few trips. Going back I know it was even less but I am trying to just look at the last 2 -3 trips to Orlando since 2011. We are looking for a shor trip in October and even with "sale fares" on Airtran/Southwest the lowest I can find is $145 each way for $1159 total. Geez! I am wondering if I should still hold off. Used to be October was an off season time. Driving isn't an option for us this time because we are short on vacation time. I guess if we are going we don't have too much of a choice.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've found airfares have increased considerably over the last 5-7 years - and that's even before I speak about add-on fees for luggage etc!! We used to be able to think about doing a long weekend fairly inexpensively - I don't even try to plan such a thing unless it's to a drivable location!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The Southwest flight I want in October out of Midway is $303.00 each one way - praying for it to go down.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

It has gone up in 09 i took delta and it was only 300 both ways now if i took delta its be nearly 600 im going jet blue which is only 400 with tax you take what you can get.... but south west and jet blue seem to have the most deal options.
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

It is terrible IMO this year. From Philly we usually paid $200 to $220 for round trip to Orlando......This year I paid over $400 per person round trip. That's crazy for a two hour trip.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Flying out of Buffalo used to save us a bunch. Lately its approaching $400pp. Oh for the good old days when you could get return fares for under $200 taxes in.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny because I have made 2 round trip flights this year and the planes are completely full! And then yes, add bag fees etc. We're trying to extend it out our stay a little longer so we can justify the price for a 5 night stay...
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Higher fares. less flights and/or smaller planes, baggage charges, paying for "special seats" and food .... that is the present and future .....
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

What seems to be happening is that there are not as many fare sales or discounted fares anymore. I've seen fares stay the same across the board on all airlines for months, and they're all costing about the same. Apparently no one is hurting for competition, or lack thereof. Even Spirit and Southwest Airlines are charging the same as the big boys.

I don't know about October. It's big convention season. I'd wait another week or two, but if you start to see fares go up even more, you may have to bite the bullet.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Having the same issue here.. It's crazy! Our trip is in November so I'm hoping to book by latest end of September. I would rather book now but the prices are unreal.
    Lisa
    November 2013 GF
    September /October 2012 AoA
    August 2012 Pop
    November 2011 PORFQ
    May 2010 WL
    October / November 2008 PORFQ
    August 2007 PORFQ
    July 2006 WL
    October 2005 Pop
    August 2004 POR FQ
    October 2003 ASM
    June 2000 CS
    July 1999 CB
    May 1997 Off site
    June 1996 POR FQ

Post Thanks / Like

Last October was pretty nuts too. Flew SWA out of Midway and it was ALMOST $450 first flight in Sunday, last flight out the following Sunday with a significantly purchased advanced ticket. Kept checking all carriers but they never did lower the cost. I was shocked, to say the least! All considered, your rates aren't bad. I'd grab them while you can!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    Last October was pretty nuts too. Flew SWA out of Midway and it was ALMOST $450 first flight in Sunday, last flight out the following Sunday with a significantly purchased advanced ticket. Kept checking all carriers but they never did lower the cost. I was shocked, to say the least! All considered, your rates aren't bad. I'd grab them while you can!
    That's pretty much what I'm looking at - not sure how much longer I can hold out for October flights. Last September we paid $302.00 round trip.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

I just booked on Southwest out of Providence for the beginning of November, non-stop both ways and it was only $208 round trip. I was gonna try for the last week or two of October but the rates just weren't going down. So when I saw this rate, I jumped on it before it too could go up.
    And even car rentals were outrageous and I need a car since I have time share off property. Finally got that at around $220 for the week.
    Let the countdown begin!
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This just reminded me to set the countdown calendar. 84 days!
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I know Southwest flights have gone up since their great fuel deal ended and they had to renegotiate fuel prices, but they are still the cheapest from my area (Fly out of BWI [Baltimore-Washington International, which I still refer to as Friendship Airport])

For my December trip, I was able to take advantage of one of their special deals and got my flights for $98 each way! The flight I am taking down is currently listed at $290 (guess that one will be packed!!) and the return flight at $132!!!!!!

If you are signed up for their emails, there are often "private" sales that they offer. The booking times are limited, but if you hit one of them, you can save a lot!!!
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Man they were/are expensive - I registered for Southwest fare alerts here as even they were $400 each and I thought they cannot go up much more if I wait until 1-2 months out (we fly often). Anyway I got an alert and purchased the tix for a total of (after taxes for 4 people) $671.20.

So I would say sign up for fare warnings and check regularly as they change with each minute. Hang in there and get em!

Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I am also very frustrated by the airfares I'm seeing! I flew from OH to CA last year for less than what it's looking like from OH to FL this year! I missed the boat last week when fares were a bit more reasonable, so I am hoping they at least get back to that level (right now they are ridiculous!). Would be awesome to fly for what I did a few years ago - Columbus to Orlando for 665 round trip for 4 people!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

In the past I've been able to fly round-trip from NYC to MCO for around $200-$250. This year it was $400.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

I checked a few times since I booked Friday night, it went to $250 on Saturday, $340 on Monday and $435 on Tuesday for the exact same flights and times! It went back down to $385 today. That is still almost double what I paid on Friday night. I think the key is to check back often, even multiple times the same day.
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post

That's weird because last year was the cheapest I ever paid. Round trip from Philly to Orlando including taxes was $195 each.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: