Quantcast Which restaurant at Hollywood Studios?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Which restaurant at Hollywood Studios?

Which restaurant would you recommend at Hollywood Studios? I've read mixed reviews about most of the restaurants and from my own experience, the food at Hollywood and Vine is okay but not spectacular. We have a reservation there for the character meal for my son's birthday -- he loves Jake -- but I need to make a reservation for another day that we plan to be at HS. Thanks.
    Port Orleans Riverside Oct. 2010
    Port Orleans French Quarter Oct. 2009
    Port Orleans French Quarter Oct. 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter Sept. 2007
    First Visit: Pop Century June 2006

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our family (with 3 kids) has really enjoyed the 50's Prime Time Cafe, especially when you really get an interactive waitress. The food is pretty good and I think most people enjoy the 50's decor. It can feel a bit "crowded" at times with the layout, but we've always enjoyed it.

We've done Momma Melrose twice and have liked it both times. I like the ambiance and both times the food has been really good. But, if you read various message boards, MM generally gets as many thumbs up as thumbs down. Some compare it to an over-hyped Olive Garden.

We've never done H&V or Sc-Fi Diner, but frankly neither has given me much cause to eat there, from what I've seen and heard, nothing exceptional. We did Hollywood Brown Derby once while on the DDP and as part of a Fantasmic Dinner package. While it was good, I didn't necessarily think it warrants the 2TS that is required by the dining plan.

Options for sit down restaurants are limited at DHS, but as you can tell 50's Prime Time would be my first choice and Momma Melrose my second.

Another option, the Boardwalk is just a short boat ride from DHS, so depending on your schedule and times, that could open up other options for you.

Post Thanks / Like

in 2011 my family did the sci fi drive in and mama melrose of the two options sci fi was far better .. tho i have heard that mama melrose has gotten better Im not sure i would go back...
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiking Ghost View Post
    We've done Momma Melrose twice and have liked it both times. I like the ambiance and both times the food has been really good. But, if you read various message boards, MM generally gets as many thumbs up as thumbs down. Some compare it to an over-hyped Olive Garden.
    me and dw completely agree we went to Mamma Melrose 2x for dinner and it so bad that we vowed never to go back, i mean if i want to eat nothing but garlic i'll go to olive garden. about 2 trips ago we decided to give it a shot for lunch as it seemed that the menu had changed. well i can happily say that we will now be hitting Mamma Melrose on every trip it's that good (again 4 lunch) we haven't gone back 4 dinner yet, this also gets you into fantasmic if u decide to do the fantasmic pkg, there s no extra charge u just have to put down a credit card at time of reservation.

Hope this helps

Victor
    95-97,99(dixie landings)
    06/06(asmo- mighty ducks)
    06/07(asmu - jazz inn)
    12/07(asmu - broadway)
    06/08(asmu - calypso)
    12/08(asmu - rock inn)
    09/09(asmu - broadway)
    03/10(boardwalk)free upgrade
    09/10-(asmu- rock inn)
    10/11-(asmu-country+7 day west carib cruise)
    3/12- (okw resort dvc)

Post Thanks / Like

yeah go with sci fi
    Last edited by Hammer; 07-29-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
    YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TO PASS THIS VAY, NOR SHALL YOU BE THE LAST.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm not crazy about DHS Table service, although we love Starring rolls for counter service. If I could I would leave and go to a nearby resort, maybe take a boat to one of the Epcot resorts? If I couldn't leave I'd take my chances with Mama Melrose's or Prime time

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood Studios is probably 3rd just in front of Animal Kingdom and at least AK has the park hours as somewhat of an excuse. Hollywood and Vine was one of our most dismal experiences anywhere in the world the one time we went there.

In my opinion if you can spare the extra 20-25 minutes of round trip travel to either walk or quick boat or car ride to the Boardwalk area and you have a plethora of better options there for table service.
    "Those Who Stay Will Be Champions"

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am in the minority here, but although DHS is my least fave park overall for TS food, we really liked SciFi. I guess it's all in what you like, and what you're looking for.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Sci-Fi dine in is great entertainment and atmosphere for the kids and 50 Prime time cafe is also a hit with families. If you're looking for counter service, the Backlot Express is my all time favorite (they have the best chicken salad there).
    "I want to be apart of your world."

All Star Music 2000-present & future

Post Thanks / Like

Are you on the DDP? If so, I wouldn't use a TS credit at DHS. Instead, I'd eat at Starring Rolls for lunch and visit a resort for dinner.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    Are you on the DDP? If so, I wouldn't use a TS credit at DHS. Instead, I'd eat at Starring Rolls for lunch and visit a resort for dinner.
    Pretty good idea -especially with the Boardwalk a boat ride away. Only negative would if the plan was to stay in the park. Sci-Fi has a great atmosphere and is good for a burger/sandwich/salad(I wouldn't get anything more sophisticated than that). 50's PT can be a lot of fun and the food is pretty good -fried chicken, meatloaf, etc..
    Hi Neighbor! Have a 'Gansett.

Post Thanks / Like

We eat at Mama Melrose's every time!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ADR at 50's Prime Time for my upcoming trip, and ate there once about five years ago. I really like it! Fun theme and good food. It may be home style comfort food, but it's food I actually don't ever get to eat (I never have meatloaf, fried chicken, and pot roast at home). When I went last time, the service was super friendly and the food really good.
    *Cindy

Sep20 - Yacht Club
    Sep19 - WL Villas
    Sep18 - Contemporary
    Oct17 - Offsite
    Sep16 - POFQ
    Sep15 - Poly
    Sep14 - Disneyland
    Sep13 - Beach Club
    Oct11 - POR
    Sep10 - CBR
    Sep09 - POP
    Sep08 - WL Villas
    Sep07 - POR
    Feb95 - WL
    Jun90 - GF
    Aug86 - Big Red Boat

Plus Disneyland (x3) and Offsite (x5)

Post Thanks / Like

50's prime time is our favorite. The food is good, great atmosphere, fun times and the bar is amazing too. We are going with a group of 10 this year and we can't wait for the antics to go down! Just remember the color of the soap if you go to the restroom and no elbows on the table or you may get teased a little.

Sci Fi Diner is good, nothing special food-wise however cool space. Brown Derby we find overrated and it takes two dining credits. 50's is where it's at for us. Hope this helps.
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Dad of two boys. Back in the day when they were not teens the boys loved sci-fi. Many will say the food isnt special and thats true for adults. For kids however......

50s has great food and can be fun with the right CM. the tune in lounge next door is one of the top 5 bars on property.

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't had good success with Sci-Fi Dine-in; long waits for average food. I've enjoyed Hollywood & Vine and 50's Prime Time Cafe. I'd recommend taking a look at 50's Prime Time Cafe since you are already eating at Hollywood & Vine. My favorite place at Hollywood Studios is actually Backlot Express; we try to eat there every trip.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

The Sci-Fi has good food and a fun atmosphere. We have eaten lunch there several times, although there are only 2 of us so we've always been able to walk up to get a table, even if we had to wait a little. Reservations there seem to be a must for more than 2 people. We like Mama Melrose's but have had our issues with their poor service. The food is very good, though we have not been in 2 years and are going back in the Fall so we'll see if service has improved. 50's Prime Time is very fun, and the food is good. We've never gone without a reservation. The variety and amount of QS and TS places are lacking at DHS compared to the other parks.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, Sci-Fi has the best atmosphere and is really unique. However, the food is pretty average so only go if you're in the mood for a burger and fries kind of dinner. If you're not expecting a unique menu, you won't be disappointed. Good desserts, too!

50s Prime Time has consistently had the freshest food and also has fantastic theming. The details are really adorable and the waitstaff is very entertaining. The food options are of the comfort food variety (very 1950s!) and we have never been disappointed here.

I'd stay away from Mama Melrose. It is not authentic Italian food despite the prices and we have had absolutely ABHORRENT experiences here with service and cleanliness.
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdricks View Post

50s has great food and can be fun with the right CM. the tune in lounge next door is one of the top 5 bars on property.

Oh yes! Great point! Really, really good bar
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

We've always like Sci-Fi Dine-In for the cool, campy atmosphere. Sometimes it gets poor reviews for food, but that's usually regarding the "dinner" type entrees. We've always ordered burgers, onion rings and milk shakes, and all of those things are very good, especially the rings and shakes. Always had a fun time there.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: