Quantcast Boundaries at Work

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boundaries at Work

Feeling frustrated. I work out of several offices within a company but am a business partner to those offices, meaning I don't directly report to the managers of those offices however I rely on the office staff of each for my job (sales).
    My direct manager works out of another location. There are several employees in the company that do the same job as me, covering various offices.

Lately, the manager of one of my branches has become increasly intrusive and has begun to treat me as though I am her direct report. My job requires me to go outside and make connections, attend meetings, travel to various locations etc. So although my physical desk is at this location, I am not always there and in fact SHOULD NOT always be there if I am conducting my job properly. My other office location partners have no issue, it's just this one.

I am receiving many calls from her on my personal cell phone just to follow up with leads she has sent me, especially when I am not working out of her office. Almost as though she is " checking up" to see if I am really working or not. Now, I contact everyone promplty and notate the system we all use to state when I called, what happened etc. She has access and can easily look this up. And I work- I am not going out shopping or goofing off. I am compensated for the work I produce so there would be no benefit to me to good off. She also will walk into my office at the end of the day just as she does with her employees (they have desks, I have an actual office) and again asks what happened with this lead or that for a status check.

Now I have no history past or present of not calling people back, not being timely, blowing anything off, not showing up to work or lying anbout my whereabouts, etc. I am a professional. There are no customer complaints and I have received awards for my job performance. To me it seems more of a control thing and her needing to micromanage. I don't report to her for my job.

Yesterday, she walked into my office and actually interrupted a meeting with an outside business connection just to say she sent me an email about a customer. Actually walked in without knocking (door was open but you could see I had someone in there) and interrupted my guest who was speaking at the time. A quick glance at the email revealed it was just a regualr lead who wanted a call back. NO emergency, no special situation. I apologozed to my guest for the interruption. At the end of the day, she again stood inside my office while I was on the phone with a client, waited until I hung up, to ask if I called those people. I had called them hours before and updated system notes.

I am not sure how to proceed since I do need to maintain a positive relationship with her. I don't want to put her off or create a rift. However, I feel she needs to take a step back. If I wasnt' doing my job properly that would be one thing, but I do it and do it well. It is not her place to check up me, call me repeatedly and interrupt my business meetings. Any advice? Directly discuss or discuss with my actual job manager? I feel it is beginning to get out of hand.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...not sure how I would really proceed in this situation, but I would probably start by NOT answering her calls when she calls you on your personal cell phone. If she questions it, just mention that you do not answer your personal phone while you are conducting business unless it is a family member with an emergent situation.

Do you have a work phone? Does she call that?

Who is HER supervisor? I'd go to that person first, I think.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

This does seem like a tough situation. I understand your frustration. I'd feel the same way! Barging in unannounced and Interrupting your meeting is very unprofessional. I would speak to your supervisor about it and see what he/she has to say about the situation.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion, speak to the manager who you have the issue with first. In my experience complete, honest and open communication with your co-workers is best. If that doesn't work or if the manager takes a disrespectful tone with you then it might be time to move it up the food chain. But, I would try to speak to the individule first in a respectful manor and address the points you have made.
    -- .. -.-. -.- . --.- -- --- ..-- ... .

83' off property
    00' OKW
    06' 09' AS Sport
    13' Contemporary
    15' POP
    18' POP

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop... Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyL4 View Post
    My opinion, speak to the manager who you have the issue with first. In my experience complete, honest and open communication with your co-workers is best. If that doesn't work or if the manager takes a disrespectful tone with you then it might be time to move it up the food chain. But, I would try to speak to the individule first in a respectful manor and address the points you have made.
    Normally I would agree, however I know a few people who have been burned doing this. The problem person turned the tables and reported them after the convo, leading to an HR nightmare. Variations of this situation have actually happened to three people I know. Conversely, another friend had major issues with a co-worker. This person had such a bad attitude that they wouldn't even speak to my friend. Granted, it wasn't a boss, but finally my friend told the manager who spoke with the problem worker and the work atmosphere improved. That's what makes it a tough call for an outsider to make. You have to have a good read on the person to figure out if they are really approachable and will understand the situation, or if it will just make things worse.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I think.

Don't act like an employee, act like a partner. If it were a support person (which I guess she really is), what would you have done? She is obviously feeling some sense of responsibility for you. Free her from it. Treat her with the same respect but make sure you let her know she is not your supervisor. ie. " thank you for xyz. I appreciate your willingness to support me, but I can take it from here. I hope our shareing support staff does not create a burden for you.........

She may also be receiving some secondary gain from your success. Riding on anothers coat tail is so common in the work space. I think the nonconfrontational approach above would help either issue.

If she is just a micromanager and keeps it up after this, i would take it up with my direct supervisor in a , "i am conerned I may be a burden" Sort of way.

Let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. No, I don't have a work cell phone, I use my personal when I have to but I typically don't give too many customers that number. My office partners have it and I have told them they can try to reach me on it if something is urgent. Again, everyone respects that except her.

Yes, she does get some financial incentive for closed sales sent to me, which certainly can be another reason.

I am going to try a combination of a couple things you all suggested. 1, I did bring in up in passing as something I need to discuss with my manager next time we meet. My direct manager has worked with this person in the past and is very much aware how she can be. She was very receptive and said she would love to discuss with me. Iwill see what she thinks or suggests about it. 2, I am going try using the approach of "thank you, I will take it from here" and stop reporting back to her, let the calls go to voicemail etc. There's not much I can do about her barging into my office I guess or hovering when I am on the phone. I am hoping that may make her take a step back (though knowing her she will probably not) or at least set the tone. Again, it's not as though I am not reporting on status as she can track it in our leads system.

I spoke with another co worker who also holds more of a partner role here (not same job as me but does not work for her directly) and she asks for her to make weekly reports to her on things she has sent that department. Again, she has access to all of this info herself. She had tried to make me do that as well, and I just didn't. Sometimes she asks still and I have told her I am too busy. She also has been trying to get people to commit to outside of work activities on weekends like joining cahrity walks and festivals and has been very pushy with that as well (calling and texting employees on personal phones). So it sounds like this not just my issue.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. No, I don't have a work cell phone, I use my personal when I have to but I typically don't give too many customers that number. My office partners have it and I have told them they can try to reach me on it if something is urgent. Again, everyone respects that except her.

Yes, she does get some financial incentive for closed sales sent to me, which certainly can be another reason.

I am going to try a combination of a couple things you all suggested. 1, I did bring in up in passing as something I need to discuss with my manager next time we meet. My direct manager has worked with this person in the past and is very much aware how she can be. She was very receptive and said she would love to discuss with me. 2, I am going try using the approach of "thank you, I will take it from here" and stop reporting back to her. I am hoping that may make her take a step back (though knowing her she will probably not) or at least set the tone. Again, it's not as though I am not reporting on status as she can track it in our leads system.

I spoke with another co worker who also holds more of a partner role here (not same job as me but does not work for her directly) and she asks for her to make weekly reports to her on things she has sent that department. Again, she has access to all of this info herself. She had tried to make me do that as well, and I just didn't. Sometimes she asks still and I have told her I am too busy. She also has been trying to get people to commit to outside of work activities on weekends like joining charity walks and festivals and has been very pushy with that as well (calling and texting employees on personal phones). When she attends those she is pushing her employees to pretty much be in sales mode and go promote the business the whole time. So it sounds like this not just my issue.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: