Quantcast New Cast Members-Brazil - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest issue with these tour groups how they travel in those huge groups with very little adult supervision. The family groups, sometimes annoying because they don't always follow the expected norms from our culture, are nearly always much better behaved than 500 - 1000 teenagers in a group. When we recently traveled with a group of 90 teenagers, we had high expectations for behavior. It was highly stressed over and over that if a behavior is unacceptable at school, then it's unacceptable on the trip. If they were to be caught misbehaving, then they would spend their trip basically shackled to a chaperone - if that didn't cure the bad behavior, they would be upgraded to being shackled to a teacher - and if that didn't work, they would be sent home at their parents' expense. Any damages caused would be paid by the parents (chaperones inspected each room upon check-in, each night, and at check-out) and if they did something illegal, their parents would be called to come deal with it again at the parents expense. We had the best behaved bunch of kids who still managed to have a great time. I think additional adult supervision and perhaps some similar threats to these tour groups might go along way. It's disappointing to hear that these liaisons are not helping with the situation at large.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe the obnoxious "culture" in question here is large groups of unsupervised teenagers. What you describe with Brazilian groups isn't much different from what we experienced with cheerleaders in Riverside....pushing past us and shoving us off paths, doing cheers complete with backflips in the breakfast line...we were amazed that kids would act that way and disgusted that no adult stepped forward to stop them! (Although I will confess I've never seen a cheerleader go potty in the bushes, LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

Difference is the cheerleading groups aren't nearly as large. Yes, they are annoying too, but I'd choose cheerleaders over the tour groups any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever we'd get these groups at Splash or Space, and I was out in front of the attraction, I'd tell them they'd need to split up into groups of six (Space) or eight (Splash). That way, the loaders would have a *much* easier time getting them on to the ride.

However, whenever *I* was grouping/loading, *NOT* one of my other Cast Members would tell them they needed to split up :/ So, if they got to me, I'd ask "How many?" The response? "A hundred and seventy-three." :P Really?! LOLOLOL

At that point, I'd go back through the line and count 'em off. Made it a LOT easier...
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I met a lady who works in costuming at WDW a few days ago, and she actually mentioned to me how difficult the tour groups, specifically the large Brazilian tour groups, were this summer. She said that they had many issues and that many of the groups had actually been asked to leave.

I don't know how accurate this is, but she told me that the reason that the groups all wear such brightly colored shirts is because Disney requires it. She explained to me that the way that cast members distinguished between groups was based on the colors of their shirts, so that when they had complaints by guests, they would know exactly which group to report it to. She also told me that there is a "three strikes" policy, that if a particular group receives more than three strikes in a day, they can be asked to leave for the day... I wonder where these ambassadors come in here?
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Amen. I can't stand them, and they push all my buttons. I always find myself stepping on their backpacks as they've laid 300 of them in front of the restroom, or the door, or wherever.
    Outside of WDW, Brazil has turned into the Dallas Cowboys. I root for anyone against them in soccer.

The only place I've been where there is anything equally annoying is in Austin. The state HS track meet is there and the crowds cause tons of problems.
    Now that's class!
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was on my CP, one of my roommates was one of these Brazilian ambassadors. He did give me a lot of insight into the Brazilian tour groups and why they come (It's a right of passage for Brazilian teens) and the first night he was with in my apartment he apologized to myself and my roommates on behalf of his fellow countrymen for the behavior we may see from the groups.

Even then, Disney doesn't do a whole lot to help us CM's outside of handing out pocket size English/Portuguese dictionaries. They were first made available on my last day of work, so I didn't get much use out of it.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Our problem with the tour groups is their constant super loud chanting. Other than that, I didn't find them any more rude than the next guy.

We were in the America building in Epcot and in the middle of the Voices of Liberty performance, there was a group outside the building doing their chants. It was SO completely rude. It took a few minutes for the CMs to close the doors to drown them out.

Another time it started to rain hard and a ton of us were stuck under the Spaceship Earth globe covering. There had to have been over a hundred of their tour kids. The chanting plus the echoing, yes I actually felt a bit unsafe. That's when I saw so many security guards come around. Last time I heard a large mob of people that loud was at an NFL game.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

They are loud, rude, and intimidating...and I don't think they should be able to roam the park in groups over 25.
    That would make it more managable for park guests, CMs, security, and their own Chaperones...
    And honestly-if they have a 3 strike rule, I will make sure to find a CM and complain next time in hopes they get kicked out...Yes, I am a meany.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they inform on rules. i had a very rude and ignorant group clap and chant for 30 mins in line at haunted mansion. Then proceeded to scream at the top of their lungs inside the shrinking room. The cast member kept asking them to quiet down and no one would listen. I can't stand these annoying Brazilians.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

I know many others will (and have) disagreed with me, but the chanting just doesn't bother me. They're teenagers and they're happy and excited and, yes, self-focused and sometimes obnoxious. They do know proper behavior and they push it. Just like American cheerleaders ... I mean teenagers.

And, as someone else posted, if it's considered a rite of passage for the Brazil youth, that's even more of an explanation for the brashness.

Line-cutting is a different story, but I've seen videos on YouTube with people's complaints about it when it's clear the kids are just trying to stay with their group. I can see how others might be perturbed by that, though.

I guess I'm just happy to be there, and unless someone is trying to spoil my vacation on purpose, I'm not that ruffled.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently in the airport on he way home after a fantastic 7 day stay at WDW. I can say that there were many Brazilian tour groups there and I have to say in general they were well behaved, well chaperoned and in general behaved in a manor far better than some of the other tourists at the parks. Typically the only times we heard chanting or clapping was when they were on the way out of the park to their busses. I can't comment as to their behaviour at there resort but I had no issue with them in the parks. The only problems I saw was the language barrier when a cast member was trying to direct someone to which spot to stand in.

They were orders of magnitude better than the cheerleaders that I was subjected to in March a few years ago and much better supervised and much more appropriately dressed I might add.

For what it's worth, maybe I just got lucky with the groups that were there but that was my observation.

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a co worker from Brazil- born and raised . She has 2 teenagers. I asked her about this rite of passage.. No it is not. It's a week with no kids fir cheap. No rite of passage. She said the tour groups get such big discounts and the packages can be paid out over months ( just like you or I planning with a tour group) so they send their kids here to get a break at home...
    It is what it is and will continue to be. But it is not some cultural right of passage ... And she said even her family won't go to Disney in July and January because they dont want to deal with these groups in such large numbers

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

It was the consensus from most people around us that they too were bothered by the chanting.

We have our first time visiting in January coming up and I seriously hope there will be none of these groups again or at least more considerate ones. Even as a teenager, I was taught to behave somewhat like locals in a different area/country (to be respectful) and not draw extra attention to myself. There is just no need for a group of 50+ to be chanting and carrying on like that in Disney World. It was a major mob mentality and like I stated above, there were times I actually felt unsafe when being surrounded by these groups. In a crowded store, the closed in walk area to Fantasmic, under Spaceship Earth during a rainstorm.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I've stated in other posts that my problem with large groups is the line jumping. Now these are with teenagers from a tour group. Maybe 15-20 total or more. 1 or 2 would run ahead and get in line, then the rest would show up a little later.

So what happens is that 20+ people try to "catch up" to their group while passing the 10-15 people who are already in line. Why not let the smaller of the two groups pass thru and then you wait for your larger group to catch up. That is courtesy.

I'm not sure what the number of people in one group should be but anything more than 20 would be difficult to handle. Also, what we've done in the past, is just go to a different ride if we see a large contingent of kids with the same color shirt on waiting in a line.

Yes the chanting and clapping can get annoying but what I find troubling is when that group just stops in the middle of a walkway and tries to decide what to do next. It becomes very difficult to maneuver through them, and they won't move out of the way when you try to move past.
    WDW '71-'81(numerous)
    Yearly '98 - '08
    Last Trip July 2014

Next Trip ???
    Keep to the code... If you fall behind, you get left behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's something to keep in mind about the South American tour groups as well.

And, I'll betcha a LOT of "American" tourists didn't, or don't, know this at all.

When it's "winter time" in North America (Dec/Jan/Feb), it's summertime in South America, Australia, and every other country south of the equator. That's their "traveling/vacation seasons". They also know that, even though it *is* winter in Florida, that it's still fairly decent weather for visiting the Disney parks.

This is why you'll see such large groups of "Brazilians" at the parks during those months.

Now, it still doesn't take away the fact that their "behavior" leaves something to be desired, but...just thought I'd post that that's why they're in such large groups during those months.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

So if you live right on the equator what season is it now?
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    So if you live right on the equator what season is it now?
    Wet.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    And, I'll betcha a LOT of "American" tourists didn't, or don't, know this at all.

When it's "winter time" in North America (Dec/Jan/Feb), it's summertime in South America, Australia, and every other country south of the equator. That's their "traveling/vacation seasons". They also know that, even though it *is* winter in Florida, that it's still fairly decent weather for visiting the Disney parks.

This is why you'll see such large groups of "Brazilians" at the parks during those months.

Now, it still doesn't take away the fact that their "behavior" leaves something to be desired, but...just thought I'd post that that's why they're in such large groups during those months.
    Except that doesn't account for the groups that are at WDW in July (their winter). In that case it's because there's a two-week school break in July.

I've also heard it's a common thing for Brazilian parents to send their kids on these trips. A rite of passage? No--just something to do during school breaks, much like American parents send their kids to camp. From what I've heard, it's the size of the groups that accounts for things getting out of hand at times. Smaller groups and a higher (responsible) chaperone-to-teen ratio might help.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last July and are headed back next week. We saw the large groups, but they really weren't a problem. I was expecting much worse, but was surprised to find them pretty well-behaved. Of course, we weren't staying at one of the resorts that housed them, so I'm sure this makes a difference. I would not hesitate to complain if there was line jumping. If my family had been waiting for an attraction and this were to happen, we would not be happy.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: