Quantcast Abandoned zones in disney - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    1- Germany, from ABOVE.

2- Japan, from ABOVE.
    There's been arguments over the validity of those photos. I'd agree that the Germany building is pretty good sized, but there are other plans that have shown the little grassy areas with the trailers was also to be part of the ride structure. I had a friend that worked the Germany pavillion for a few years (he's German), and he said that whole building is nothing but storage space for F&W kiosks now. I'd gather the same for the Japan building as well.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

for me it be the stitch ride. well it's an abandoned area to me.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    I'm gonna agree with this. The Germany pavilion did indeed have a boat ride planned, but, Japan, I'm not so sure about. I have never heard anything about any ride, other than some "blue sky" (ideas) stuff thrown around - for instance, the big one I can remember was a Matterhorn-like bobsled type ride based on Mount Fuji, and sponsored by FujiFilm. However, since Kodak was the "official film and cameras of Walt Disney World", the idea was scrapped. I don't think a show building for the ride was ever built; but, I'm not sure what the building is at the back of the pavilion shown in the link above. I know at least the middle third of that building between the front (labeled as "restaurant/bar") and the larger, rear part, is part of the Mitsukoshi department store.
    This seems to be the argreed upon blue sky story from lots of people. Whether or not it's true....it's still good story telling!

Two totally different locations - sort of. The *original* Swan Boat dock was the Plaza Landing, down in front of the Plaza Restaurant just off of Main Street. It's just a seating/smoking area now. The Swan Boat loading/unloading dock then moved to the Rose Garden - the green covered "pavilion" down near the water, opposite Cosmic Ray's.
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm not up on my Swam Boat history. I always thought they should bring those back. A simple relaxing ride in the hub is cool.

El Pirata y el Perrico - "The Pirate and the Parrot" - I *believe* is now Tortuga Tavern or something? When El Pirata *was* open, they had some *goooooood* taco salads.
    My Mom still raves about those taco salads!

Odyssey - I agree with y'all. When I last was in there, in about 2010, it was still *very* clean inside, and (for guests) was being used for Food/Wine and Flower/Garden. I *believe* the restrooms are still accessible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    The bathrooms are accessible. And they're very often empty as most people don't know they're open or there. A great way to get around the main path to WS, and head right to the Mexico Pavillion.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcjaco View Post
    There's been arguments over the validity of those photos.

I'd agree that the Germany building is pretty good sized, but there are other plans that have shown the little grassy areas with the trailers was also to be part of the ride structure. I had a friend that worked the Germany pavillion for a few years (he's German), and he said that whole building is nothing but storage space for F&W kiosks now. I'd gather the same for the Japan building as well.
    "Validity" of the photos?
    Maybe you mean validity of the rough outlines drawn on them. I just indicated to which buildings, in general, I am referring.
    Exactly what sections of them were or were not designated for "rides" are not specific.

Regardless, yes, what these large cavernous buildings are NOW used for is some storage and some rehearsal hall and/or "green room" space that performers (contract players, CM's and visiting bands, etc.) can utilize.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    "Validity" of the photos?
    Maybe you mean validity of the rough outlines drawn on them. I just indicated to which buildings, in general, I am referring.
    Exactly what sections of them were or were not designated for "rides" are not specific.

Regardless, yes, what these large cavernous buildings are NOW used for is some storage and some rehearsal hall and/or "green room" space that performers (contract players, CM's and visiting bands, etc.) can utilize.
    Yes, I meant validity of the outlines.

No need to get uppity. It's all good.
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

skyway to tommorowland/fantasyland are 2 abandoned areas
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Kungaloosh! I would rather see The Adventurers Club return than anything. It would break my heart to see something else pop up in that spot.
    Sao Feng... He's alot like me, absent my merciful nature and sense of fair play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parrothed26 View Post
    Kungaloosh! I would rather see The Adventurers Club return than anything. It would break my heart to see something else pop up in that spot.
    It was sad to see it closed in 09 it was even sadder to see the lettering removed when i was there in 11
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

I know there's a very serious group of AC fans out there, but I never understood the love.

I went in there once, and just didn't feel the vibe. Then again, I pretty much felt that way about Pleasure Island as a whole. And that was back in my going out clubbin' days. I'd safely wager that if a Disney fanboy like me felt that way, an even better portion of the GP did too.

I'd like Horizons back, but that ain't happening. Best to wait for the next thing to capture your imagination.
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I know that there is already a saturation of Disney Resorts, but I wouldn't mind seeing them build something that's NOT DVC on the monorail line around the lake. There were three other hotels planned, I believe, but the only theme I can remember is "Venetian". That land looks abandoned. I guess you could say that it's "natural" or "undeveloped wetland".
    Agree- but DVC is such a money maker for Disney I don't think this will happen. They make a whole lotta profit so that is why they keep developing DVC resorts as opposed to regular hotel rooms.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    skyway to tommorowland/fantasyland are 2 abandoned areas
    Not any more.

The Fantasyland area was recently refurbished into Rapunzel, and at the Tomorrowland load/unload building, the top floor (storage, load/unload area) was removed. The lower floor once contained a small souvenir shop (Ursa Major Minor Mart, I believe), and there's still restrooms there in that building (between CoP and Space Mountain).

The upper level of Imagination is *still* there - everything is still up there, just "turned off".

As for the Ft. Wilderness Railroad, it was full of problems from the get-go in 1973 when it opened. The tracks were all laid by hand, hence, they were "out of gauge" in some places, and the locomotives often derailed - out in the "middle of nowhere". It would take sometimes *hours* to get Maintenance out there to unload the guests that were on the trains, walk them out to a bus stop, and get the train back onto the tracks. You also had "engineers" who were really just ride operators - kids, really - who had no idea<s> how to keep water in a steam locomotive. They would often run out of water, again, out on the line somewheres, and have to be rescued. Reason they'd run out of water, was because the "engineers" would forget to fill the tender on *every trip* around the campground - they only held 200 gallons (vs 1,836 gallons for the park's trains). Finally, the "last trip" for the FWRR was, allegedly, in 1977, after many guest complaints of train whistles waking them up way too early in the mornings. However, after the trains stopped running, they ran parking-lot trams through the campground - which, it would seem, are just as noisy.

Going back to the 1977 closing, some Cast Members as well as guests have debated that date for quite some time. You used to have to actually purchase a ticket to use the railroad, proving you were staying at the campground. Some old tickets have appeared on eBay and other auction sites dated as late as 1982.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jim. great post.. as always
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow Land Terrace. The last fews years, it's been open, closed, menu changed. Nothing has been consistent. It's a huge waste of space to have a continuous operation going on there. It would be nice to have a CS option other than Casey's that was close to Main Street.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not in a park, but how about Discovery Island in Bay Lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass T-bone View Post
    I know it's not in a park, but how about Discovery Island in Bay Lake?
    When WDW first opened, it was known as "Treasure Island."
    There was some thought, early on, of making it a pirate-themed destination.
    They even placed the rotting hulk of an old wooden shipwreck on the beach (which is still there, today.)

Later, they developed the island as wildlife and bird sanctuary/exhibit for guests, renamed "Discovery Island."

Then, after they built DAK and moved many of the birds and some animals to that park (and even used the name, "Discovery Island" as the central section of the new theme park,) that Bay Lake island is now just sitting there, unloved.

It might be fun to rewaken the original name and idea of a "Treasure Island" attraction of some kind there on that location.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: