Quantcast Loaded Gun Found On Dinosaur attraction at AK

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Loaded Gun Found On Dinosaur attraction at AK

This could have had a very unhappy ending. Anyone care to speculate on how long until we see more thorough weapons checks at the parks now?
    Last edited by Ian; 05-29-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: External links not permitted per TOS

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The gun owner appears to have had no evil intentions, but this incident still shows a glaring lapse in Disney's park entrance security. No telling how many other people may have been able to bring firearms in to the parks. I hope this incident doesn't give anybody who might have bad intentions any ideas. I think most of us have been assuming that security would have prevented anyone from bringing a gun into the parks.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Eek. This does bother me. Thank goodness it was a well meaning adult who found it and not a child who could easily have assumed it was a toy.

To be fair DH is a cop and always carries a weapon off duty, even to locations marked as no weapons. As a police officer, when were in state he can carry even in areas where its posted that no firearms are allowed (excluding federal buildings). However I can't imagine him ever loosing his weapon and not realizing it immediately.

Our last trip he commented how easily it would be for someone carrying a small firearm to walk through the "no bag" line. Now it makes me wonder just how many people do....
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I know after a discussion with security at wdw that unless a police officer is on the clock working they can not carry in the park.
    -- .. -.-. -.- . --.- -- --- ..-- ... .

83' off property
    00' OKW
    06' 09' AS Sport
    13' Contemporary
    15' POP
    18' POP

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop... Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyL4 View Post
    I know after a discussion with security at wdw that unless a police officer is on the clock working they can not carry in the park.
    WDW tends to be fairly strict about it. DH couldn't carry into the parks. He can carry on property although even in resorts they ask that weapons be locked up. It bothered him but he obviously respected being asked not to carry there though with things like this occuring I'd almost rather know off duty cops could carry.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

The gun owner may not have meant harm, but he is far from a responsible gun owner.. a RESPONSIBLE gun owner would 1) not carry it into a theme park full of kids, or 2) had it holstered properly, not just in his pocket...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    The gun owner may not have meant harm, but he is far from a responsible gun owner.. a RESPONSIBLE gun owner would 1) not carry it into a theme park full of kids, or 2) had it holstered properly, not just in his pocket...
    Absolutely correct, he was in fact highly irresponsible, even negligent, if not worse. Still, I think most park guests have expected to be protected from visitors who may have malicious intentions, and even other guests who are negligently irresponsible (which is why glass bottles are a no-no for instance). It is probably unrealistic to expect Disney to be able to protect us from all of these risks, but I'll bet Disney is reviewing their security policies and procedures, now that it is been shown that one can easily walk right through the gates with a gun in a pocket. They can't ignore that risk any longer.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

So now, going to WDW may be like going to the airport. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. Get to the front gates, put bags on conveyors with guards possibly doing spot checks on people (can hear the complaining now) and walk through a metal detector and/or the thing that blasts air on you to detect explosives. Maybe even a K-9 unit nearby?

Upon passing the security check, guests will then proceed to the NextGen sensors and THEN hit the park. Does anyone else envision this? Hey, if it saves lives, I'm for it. Yes, it will make lines longer and you guys who are closer to this than others will likely have some insight.

It's such a shame that this is where some in our society are, mentally. There's always someone who wants to ruin it for the rest of us. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt kids. As a parent of three, it's just a concept that I can't comprehend.

Post Thanks / Like

WESH 2 just read a statement from the gun owner. The reason he brought a loaded gun into the park? He said that in case some "psycho" did something in the park, he wanted to be prepared.

The only psycho is the guy who brought a loaded gun with hollow point bullets into Animal Kingdom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    WESH 2 just read a statement from the gun owner. The reason he brought a loaded gun into the park? He said that in case some "psycho" did something in the park, he wanted to be prepared.

The only psycho is the guy who brought a loaded gun with hollow point bullets into Animal Kingdom.
    So this guy was thinking he needed protection against other WDW guests? That's kinda crazy. The list of things that could go wrong while bringing a loaded hand gun into a packed Theme Park is very, very long. And even if some other psycho did something, i don't believe Disney Security would look kindly at anyone with a gun trying to "help". It's just stupid.

He may not be charged with a crime, but he probably is banned from the Disney Parks for life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    WDW tends to be fairly strict about it. DH couldn't carry into the parks. He can carry on property although even in resorts they ask that weapons be locked up. It bothered him but he obviously respected being asked not to carry there though with things like this occuring I'd almost rather know off duty cops could carry.
    I had my EMT tools confiscated before from my back pack, and that was just large bandage scissors. The security people were extremly profesional about it and as they told me "your on vacation " picked them back up on the way out no problems at all.
    -- .. -.-. -.- . --.- -- --- ..-- ... .

83' off property
    00' OKW
    06' 09' AS Sport
    13' Contemporary
    15' POP
    18' POP

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop... Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

He is just another paranoid freak...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Default loaded gun at AK

We recently returned from WDW and one evening we left MK at around 8:15. I noticed that there were no guards on duty at the tables to check bags. People were swarming into the park to see the castle light show with bags/strollers etc.

I sent an email to Disney and got a call from a CM stating that maybe the security guards were needed elsewhere in the parks. Huh?

I will never go into that park in the evening again and I will certainly check that other parks at that time also. Don't know if it's a cost cutting effort or not but it's scary.

Post Thanks / Like

100% Agree! There is no reason for anyone [other than law enforcement] to bring a gun into the parks. Thank GOD no one was hurt.
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

So now, going to WDW may be like going to the airport. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. Get to the front gates, put bags on conveyors with guards possibly doing spot checks on people (can hear the complaining now) and walk through a metal detector and/or the thing that blasts air on you to detect explosives. Maybe even a K-9 unit nearby?

Upon passing the security check, guests will then proceed to the NextGen sensors and THEN hit the park. Does anyone else envision this? Hey, if it saves lives, I'm for it. Yes, it will make lines longer and you guys who are closer to this than others will likely have some insight.

It's such a shame that this is where some in our society are, mentally. There's always someone who wants to ruin it for the rest of us. I just can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt kids. As a parent of three, it's just a concept that I can't comprehend.
    Maybe Disney Imagineers can put a fun spin on the metal detectors and puffs of air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post
    So this guy was thinking he needed protection against other WDW guests? That's kinda crazy. The list of things that could go wrong while bringing a loaded hand gun into a packed Theme Park is very, very long. And even if some other psycho did something, i don't believe Disney Security would look kindly at anyone with a gun trying to "help". It's just stupid.

He may not be charged with a crime, but he probably is banned from the Disney Parks for life.
    Yes and Yes!!

For crying out loud we don't live in the wild west anymore. I realize anything can happen anywhere, but it does make me a bit more hesitant as a parent.
    He is just another paranoid freak...

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    100% Agree! There is no reason for anyone [other than law enforcement] to bring a gun into the parks. Thank GOD no one was hurt.
    Believe it or not, there are plain clothed undercover sheriffs in each WDW theme park... Of course they cannot keep their eyes on everything and everyone but they are already there...

This incident shall pass... Disney may now have to be more strict with baggage checks... I'm fine with that... Just thankful no one was hurt, especially any children.. If this "responsible" gun owner caused his own demise for his stupidity, I'd probably laugh honestly... Harsh, I know... But hey, I laugh at stupid...

Funny thing is, you are safer in a Six Flags theme park (oh my the WDW fans may have a heart attack I just said that!!!)... They not only pat ya down (at least last time I was at my local Six Flags they did), but they also run a hand held metal detector scanner over your body... One trip, I remember, I had to empty my pockets because the security felt my wallet and cell phone... Not a problem, took all of 10 seconds and did not ruin my day...

Post Thanks / Like

Just read about this. There are no civil words to express what I think of it. What kind of a headcase brings a loaded gun to a theme park? I hope they do tighten security and I hope they did ban this loser for life.

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last week and three strollers went in the no bag check point and had tons of stuff in the underneath baskets. I asked the guards...what is the deal and pointed out the bags...two of them went running after the last two strollers, but the first one got away cause there were only two guards....GO FIGURE!!!
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, there are plain clothed undercover sheriffs in each WDW theme park... Of course they cannot keep their eyes on everything and everyone but they are already there...

This incident shall pass... Disney may now have to be more strict with baggage checks... I'm fine with that... Just thankful no one was hurt, especially any children.. If this "responsible" gun owner caused his own demise for his stupidity, I'd probably laugh honestly... Harsh, I know... But hey, I laugh at stupid...

Funny thing is, you are safer in a Six Flags theme park (oh my the WDW fans may have a heart attack I just said that!!!)... They not only pat ya down (at least last time I was at my local Six Flags they did), but they also run a hand held metal detector scanner over your body... One trip, I remember, I had to empty my pockets because the security felt my wallet and cell phone... Not a problem, took all of 10 seconds and did not ruin my day...
    True! It wouldn't ruin my day either. If it means increased safety for my family, you better believe I'm in!
    But hey, I'm still going to MK on Sunday!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: