Quantcast 24 Hour Event - A Late Night Mess!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 Hour Event - A Late Night Mess!

Our family attended the 24 Hour MK event last night and we will never go again.

We were aware that the park was open from 6AM on Friday (yesterday) until 6AM today (Saturday). We are in town for the entire Memorial Day weekend and yes, we are aware that the crowds are heavy for this weekend from attending at this time of the year in the past.

That said, here is what we experienced when we arrived last night:

We arrived at MK and parked at about 10:45PM. The crowds seemed large but not unlike what we had seen in the past. We got into the park and started walking up Main Street and we got to Casey's Corner and then we were directed by CM's to go backstage to the left near the first aid/baby station. As we got backstage, we were directed back towards the front of the park by the fire station! Throughout the process, we explained to CM's that we were not trying to exit the park, but they didn't care. They just told everyone to keep moving. This took an hour to get from the gates to Casey's and back to where we started. At this point, we looked at the crowds on Main Street and they were even larger.

There were so many guests packed into the park that no one was able to move. Had there been an emergency situation, any first responders would have had great difficulty attending to such a situation. At this point, our family gave up on trying to get into the park. It was the first time in my 43 years of going to WDW that we literally were not able to get into the park because it was overcrowded.

Upon exiting through the front of MK, there were many upset guests voicing their frustrations at CMs. They were telling them basically that they had just experienced perhaps one of the worst trips ever to MK. One CM was heard replying back to guests, "I just work on the Monorail! What do you want me to do?" Upon hearing this, I was very surprised, because guest service has always been so good at these parks. I cannot recall any CM EVER telling our family or another guest that essentially, "That is not my problem."

This entire event experience, from our family's point of view, demonstrated to us that whomever planned and/or promoted the 24 Hour event has a fundamental lack of understanding that you simply cannot herd an infinite amount of people into a theme park and expect them to enjoy themselves. I was thinking that it was almost as if WDW was trying to go for a world record of people in a theme park at one time.

Did anyone else have the same experience?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I had a feeling this might happened given my experience at New Years in Epcot a number of years back.

Can't say I'd ever go again when the parks are at capacity. There is no joy to be found then...
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That stinks. Well, I can say that is definitely different than what we experienced last year during the 24 hour event. It was crowded, but we had no issues getting in. I do recall they detoured us backstage in Town Square by Tony's and we came out by the Plaza Restaurant. But other than that, it was fine. By 1 or 2am, the place was pretty empty. I think the difference might have been that last year's event was during the week and not on a holiday weekend.

I saw that there were parking issues last night, and I think it was right around the time you said you arrived. We had some INTERCOTees there, and she said it was indeed quite crowded early on, but again, the park cleared out by 2am or so.

Was it just the Main St. area that was so crowded? That's sad, but not entirely surprising, the response you got from the CMs. Well, at least you can say you've done it.

If they do it again, they should definitely have at least 2 parks open, like they did in California this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I was watching the live feed last night around 10PM and I was actually thinking it didn't look that crowded.

I will say, though, that in recent trips I've been really amazed at just how POORLY Disney does handling crowds anymore. Even at times when it's just moderately crowded getting out of the park after parade and fireworks has become an absolute nightmare.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a lot of the live feed around that time, and had friends and family there. Main Street was still pretty jam-packed with people leaving after the parade and fireworks, and people waiting to see the next Celebrate the Magic show. I screen capped my in-laws at 11:15 and Main St. was wall to wall. It stinks about being redirected the wrong way, and I can imagine how frustrated you felt. Apparently once you got past Main St. it got better. I think you just arrived at the worst possible time
    I haven't talked about any specifics with my in-laws but I know they didn't leave until sometime between 4-5, so I'd imagine that they were having a good time.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

My sister in law was there with her mother, her 3 year old daughter, and her 1 year old son. She said it was horrible and she would never, ever do it again. At one point they took shelter in the baby care center because it was so crowded, you could hardly move, and people were jumping over her strollers scaring her kids. Once her kiddos started crying they took cover in the care center until they decided to leave th park. Nothing fun about that!!!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. Taking that event off the ol' bucket list.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 hour event

does Disney have a live feed at all times in any of the worlds? It would be fun next week for us to wave to our family back here in Missouri.
    Justice11

Post Thanks / Like

Even the first time they did it, I looked at DW and said, I have absolutely no interest in this event. We have been in Epcot and MK on NYE, and it was no fun. I don't mind a normally crowded day at WDW but not the super-crowded.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Even the first time they did it, I looked at DW and said, I have absolutely no interest in this event.
    But it was not that crowded last year.

I'm anxious for Cindy and Christine to chime in on this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Unfortunately, I had a feeling this might happened given my experience at New Years in Epcot a number of years back.

Can't say I'd ever go again when the parks are at capacity. There is no joy to be found then...
    I agree, We did July 4th one year as well as New Year's Eve a few years back and vowed to never again go when parks are at capacity. We just didn't enjoy it one bit. If I am spending my hard earned vacation money to go I don't want to be miserable.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I was there last night and last year (leap day) & while it was crowded (especially at parade time) we just sat off to the side and let it fizzle out.

Sorry you had a bad experience. We really had a good time, did what we could, sat and chilled out when we couldn't. I was pleased with how much they had available for food and entertainment.

I'd do it again.

I also don't mind New Years and July 4th. The key is to not expect to do attractions. And not expect to be in the front row. We pop into Epcot on NYE around 11:30 and we hang at the edges. It's so much less stressful for us.

Again, really sorry about your bad experience.
    Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised at people saying it wasn't crowded... The live cam sure made it look like it was wall to wall people... And a friend was there yesterday, and she said it was packed...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I think events like this are great for AP's, locals and frequent disney travelers. The same as NYE and July 4th...for first timers who are clueless, or once-in-a-lifetime visitor it probably is an awful experience...even with research, etc. I would have LOVED it. But, I would have known more what to expect (you'll usually find me enjoying the sights and sounds of animal kingdom on NYE and at the Poly beach on the 4th)
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

I just heard from my sister-in-law. They stayed until 5 and had a good time overall. The only negatives were the crowds did not thin out as much as they expected (they've done EMH before where the park was open until 3am), and rides were closing down in a rotation (Ex: "Peter Pan is closed but will open again at 4am") but as Christine said, I think the key to these events is just enjoying the atmosphere of the event, like the dance party, character spots etc. I would love to do it once and just enjoy the experience.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuteduck223 View Post
    I think events like this are great for AP's, locals and frequent disney travelers. The same as NYE and July 4th...for first timers who are clueless, or once-in-a-lifetime visitor it probably is an awful experience...even with research, etc. I would have LOVED it. But, I would have known more what to expect (you'll usually find me enjoying the sights and sounds of animal kingdom on NYE and at the Poly beach on the 4th)
    I was thinking this same thing... if you don't know what to expect or plan to try to get on rides and get overwhelmed by the crowds, you will probably be miserable at such an event.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    I am surprised at people saying it wasn't crowded... The live cam sure made it look like it was wall to wall people... And a friend was there yesterday, and she said it was packed...
    Well, I can see where Christine is coming from, being local. But I can see where someone on vacation would think the opposite.

ETA: Didn't refresh and respond before Maryanne and cuteduck responded. My thoughts exactly. I can't even recall doing many rides last year when we were there. It was all about BEING there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to brief for now ( and yes to those who knew me I can be brief occasionally )

We are at Downtown Disney right now. I will post more later today.

We arrived around 9:15-9:30. The first parade has ended. Crowds were gathered for Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. Yeah Main Street was one huge traffic jam but I have seen at that bad before on a non event night so maybe I was not as surprised as some.

Once we got to Tomorrowland crowds were heavy but doable.

At midnight we got front row seats for the final castle show without a problem. By 2ish it really started to thin out.

I will post later with my thoughts about the madhouse from 9-11.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 hour event

how come only about 6 posts come up on my new posts, I was wondering if there are ever any live feeds running from the worlds
    Justice11

Post Thanks / Like

Justice11, they do not have them anymore. The one that was up yesterday used to be up year round but they stopped it in the early 2000's.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: