Quantcast Need Your Opinion on What to do

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Your Opinion on What to do

My DH and I have a week off work in October and want to go to the World. He has not been there for over 2 years and we are going through withdrawals.

Here is our problem, Disney has always been a vacation we take with our daughters, it has always been the 4 of us and we have the best memories. Our girls are now 20 and 17 and the 20 year old has just moved out on her own. They love, love, love disney and want to go back so badly. I am feeling guilty because we just don't have the money to pay for them to go this time and besides that they both want their boyfriends to go with. They all have jobs but now with rent and car payments they really cannot afford to pay for themselves.

We have received a pin code for free dining during the week we have off work and really want to use it. How do you explain to your kids that they can't go with and then have a good time knowing they are home and upset with you. Has anyone else had a similar situation and what did you end up doing?
    OFFSITE 1975
    OFFSITE 1989
    CBR JUNE 2006
    CBR MAY 2007
    CBR OCT 2008-MNSSHP
    AS MOVIE APRIL 2009
    WILDERNESS LODGE DEC 2010-MVMCP
    CBR NOV 2011
    CBR OCT 2013-FREE DINING PIN!

CBR NOV 2014-FREE DINING
    CBR SEPT 2015
    CBR OCT 2016-FREE DINING BOUNCE BACK OFFER

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice is, don't tell them! They're old enough to pay their own way if they want to go, and what they don't know won't hurt them. Tell them you're going on a Bed & Breakfast tour of New England or something, and then go have fun! You don't owe your children anything. If they should happen to be upset, just remind them of the hours of lost sleep, the countless dirty diapers, all of the money for food and clothing, and the endless ferrying from place to place that you've given up for them.

Have a magical trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Tell them it is a 2nd honeymoon! Besides, if it wasn't for the two of you, there wouldn't be the two of them!
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Our first couples trip to the World occurred right after our daughter moved into her college dorm!! We stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort which was relatively inexpensive and had a wonderful time!!

Since then, we've had many wonderful trips as a couple to Disney World. We also took a trip with our daughter and her husband (our treat) and a mother/daughter trip two years ago (my treat).

While my daughter was growing up, we went to Disney World a number of times and, at least twice, also brought a friend of my daughter's with us.

I don't think you owe any more of an explanation other than you're going and can't afford to take them and boyfriends at the moment. Then, put the guilt away, and go and have a good time!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We went to WDW in 2004 for our 25th anniversary without our three adult children. They were 17, 20 and 23 at the time. They were a little miffed, but we felt we really didn't need to explain ourselves. This was something we were paying for for ourselves, and they were not included this time. We did go again in 2008 and were able to take the three of them.
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

I always grew up knowing if I wanted to go somewhere and I was old enough to have a job that i would be required to pay for it myself. I think it teaches the girls they have to work for what they want. Plus if the girls want to bring their boy friends then that means you have to get two rooms because of the 6 people. Which definitely would not be fair to the parents. If they cannot go then you will have a blast and can make it something special for the two of you!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband & I went together in Dec 2011 without the kids (I have 4 kids they were 18, 15,14 & 9 at the time) & as much as they love Disney they didn't complain at all it was the 1st time my husband & I had gone away without them. So it wasa bit hard for me but they were great. They knew that we would go again together as a family & that was good enough for them.
    Last edited by DisneyWFan; 05-25-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Go without them. I have no problem leaving our boys behind. I do feel a little bad for our youngest, but he gets over it.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everybody else, you should be able to take a trip without the kids (they are not really kids anymore). Mom & Dad need a little time alone, say its a second honeymoon or whatever. They'll get over it, they may even encourage you.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Bus Driver View Post
    I agree with everybody else, you should be able to take a trip without the kids (they are not really kids anymore). Mom & Dad need a little time alone, say its a second honeymoon or whatever. They'll get over it, they may even encourage you.
    Sounds quite reasonable to do it this way! I'm sure you are paying rent and bills, too. The truth is the way to go--just can't afford it. Perhaps it would soften things to say that you would love to start planning a big family vacation that would be affordable for each of the couples, and you're open to suggestions on when and where they would like to stay on that trip. Mention how much you would be looking forward to that vacation together! Pick a date, figure out when it would need to be booked, paid for, etc. Have a blast!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P