Quantcast Laptops- Need Advice

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Laptops- Need Advice

Well, our laptop inexplicably stopped working over the weekend. We can sign in and then it takes a long time but nothing comes up but a blue screen. Husband thinks the RAM is fried. I have no idea. He's going to make a few calls but probably we will have to replace it.

We have always had Dell laptops. We don't watch movies or steam much video. We never listen to music on it. We use it mostly for web surfing and then for school work and a little business here and there.

My husband is thinking about a Mac book. I really am not sure if it's worth the price for what we use it for. Also- and this is ignorant probably but I am not a techie at all- how is it for compatability when you need to use Microsoft programs like Word, Excel,Power Point? Could I open these items, create documents, or does Apple have their own similar programs?

I think for what we use it for we would probably be better off just getting another $500 Dell. We do have an ipad which we love but we can still use that for surfing the web and apps.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post

My husband is thinking about a Mac book. I really am not sure if it's worth the price for what we use it for. Also- and this is ignorant probably but I am not a techie at all- how is it for compatability when you need to use Microsoft programs like Word, Excel,Power Point? Could I open these items, create documents, or does Apple have their own similar programs?
    Microsoft does have Office for MAC, if I remember it was about $135 for the Student/Teacher edition.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Once you go MAC you won't go back! Buy an Apple!
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I love my MacBook Pro, it is user friendly. As previously mentioned you can get a Microsoft office package for Mac.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You can't load your current software onto a Mac, though. You need the Mac versions. But then, say, with Word, you can open and work with documents from any version of Word, Mac or no.

It is pricier, yes, but my Macbook Pro (which I love) has outlasted my three previous Dells, that I went through in rapid succession. The only reason I kept buying Dells is because the husband got a very good workplace discount. Then I had a good year and had money to reinvest in my own business, and I went for the Mac. I will never go back. It does take a short time to learn how to use. There are subtle differences. And I mean, a very short time and you learn as you go, so it's no big stumbling block, but it is something to note if you're torn and thinking of making a change.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    It does take a short time to learn how to use. There are subtle differences. And I mean, a very short time and you learn as you go, so it's no big stumbling block, but it is something to note if you're torn and thinking of making a change.
    IMO it's a lot easier to adjust to Apple than to Windows 8. We're basically an Apple house (1 IMAC, 2 MBPros) but have a windows laptop for some very old programs. I wanted to get a new one, brought it home, tried to work with Windows 8 for a day, returned it. Definitely an operating system for touchscreen IMO.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I like Apple a lot! They have a much better interface than Microsoft. Windows 8 is pretty terrible if you don't have a touch screen. Plus Dell has been making terrible computers for the last 5 years (at least).
    In my opinion it comes down to cost. For what a MacBook cost you may be able to get a touch screen convertible laptop (search Lenovo Yoga Laptop to give you an idea) Unless you get a touchscreen stay away from windows 8.
    A quick upside to apple, there aren't nearly as many viruses out for Apple as there are for Windows.

Family Trips (I was very young):
    80's - 90's Grand Floridian; Polynesian

May 2001 - All Star Sports
    2009; 2010; 2012; 2013 - All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I was always a Windows person until about 6 years ago when I got my first digital camera. Trying to make movies was horrible with windows software so I bought a Macbook and since then I've never looked back. I've upgraded to Macbook Pro and I now use it for work all the time. I find their software very intuitive.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I love my MacBook Pro. I will never buy another Dell. In my experience, both laptop and PC, They work great for about a year, and then strange things start happening. My laptop had something wrong with it all. the. time. My keyboard stopped working out of the blue, the charger burned out 3x, then it was the connector inside the actual laptop. Never again! If you decide against Mac, I would shop around for another bargain brand, not Dell.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. It sounds like we'll go with the Mac. If it can do what I need and will last longer with little or no problems, it must be worth the money. I appreciate all the input.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I always buy at an Apple store and get the Applecare plan. It covers almost anything (except spilling liquids on your laptop) and they will take care of any issues that arise. Also, you can enroll in classes at your Apple store to learn to use various features of your laptop at the optimum level-- but I have been satisfied just winging it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: