Quantcast Bates Motel

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Bates Motel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bates Motel

So, first of all, I have come to realize that I may watch entirely wayyyy too much tv....

But any who, did anyone watch the season premiere of Bates Motel on A&E?

It's basically based on the character Norman Bates from psycho.

Not to be critical, but I'm a stickler for details sometimes. For example, when someone sets off a sprinkler head in the movies, the whole building sprinkler system goes off, it doesn't work that way in real life...but anyway, in one aspect they are trying to establish a foundation of how Norman bates started, prior to the movie psycho, so then why in this show is there so much technology? Am I just being picky? Like his mother has a cell phone, kids have iPods, etc...maybe I'm just being picky. With that said though its a good show so far.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm too chicken to actually watch it (heard it's very gory and I can't take it) but I'm so intrigued by the concept of this show. I am a fan of Psycho and Hitchcock, and from the previews I saw on A&E during a Criminal Minds marathon the other day it looks to me like they set it in modern day. A featurette that aired with the producers and cast explained that they used the film as source material but it's not supposed to be a chronological prequel to Psycho. I actually think one of the awful sequels from the early 90's was a prequel and had Olivia Hussey in it as the mother. Anyway, they include some references and images fans of the original will appreciate, but they wanted it to be a stand alone show. The original is set in Arizona but this series takes place in Oregon, for example. I've never read the book, which the original movie is based on, but that may go into more detail on Norman's back story they used for this series. Has anyone read it?
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

They do mention in the first episode that they moved from Arizona to this new small town, in Oregon maybe? I forget where. But they do show them moving into the the hotel and some cops come by and the mother explains that they moved from Arizona. I'll interested to see what they do with the show. I was under the understanding it was a "prequel" I guess. It's tough to have a standalone show that basically has all the same facts pieced together from the original movie. I will have to check out the documentary that A&E has about the making and see what they say. Thanks for the info.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Well after going to A&E' s website this is literally the first line they have about the show : "“Bates Motel,” serves as a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film, “Psycho,” and promises to give viewers an intimate portrayal of how Norman Bates’ psyche unravels through his teenage years." So, they are basically portraying it as the prequel to psycho which makes me even more confused...lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

That is what you call taking liberties with the source material... LOL...

Missed the premiere.. Have to catch it on ON DEMAND...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched it. Not sure if I will watch any more. It seems too scary for me. Especially that scene at the end. Not sure what that was about!
    I was confused about the setting too! It seems like a prequel and all the clothes and some of the scenery seem old (their car and house) yet they all have iPhones and the cops were in an SUV. Very weird. Love Hitchcock and psycho but not sure I'm going to stick with this one.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's a technically a prequel but not set in the same era as the original. There was a really uncomfortable scene in the premiere. Between this, The Walking Dead, and The Following I'm not sure I can take it. Overall I did think it was very suspenseful, but I prefer suspense to gore. We will watch the 2nd episode and see how it goes.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I read that althought it is a prequel to the Psycho movie, they purposely set it in modern times hence the ipods, iphones, computers, etc, but the house and hotel are supposed to look old and like the original. They wanted a modern feel to an old classic without being a redo of the original story. It's an explanation of how Norman Bates evolves into the man in Psycho.

I agree that there was one scene that was much too intense for my taste and my 13 yo daughter was watching at the time. I screamed for her to leave the room, although she knew what was happening, at least she didn't view the worst of it.

I liked the suspense, didn't think the gore was actually that bad, but that one scene almost was bad enough that I didn't watch the rest of it. I'll watch episode 2 and decide from there if I'm going to keep watching.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    I liked the suspense, didn't think the gore was actually that bad, but that one scene almost was bad enough that I didn't watch the rest of it. I'll watch episode 2 and decide from there if I'm going to keep watching.
    Exactly. Most of the show did center around the suspense element which is why I'll give it a try. A "shock" scene here and there is, I guess, expected, but if it gets too over the top, I'll likely be out.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bates Motel

If I had a TV, I don't, I don't know whether I watch this or not, but enough people must be watching it, as A&E has renewed it for a second season, which will begin sometime in 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched the show every week so far, and I actually really like it. I agree with some scenes being a little too much, but the storylines have been so intriguing!
    VMK: DaffyD
    Trips to WDW
    June 2001on my B-Day!Off Prop.
    August 2005 Off Prop.
    August 2006 ASMov.
    August 2008- Pop Century
    August 2009-ASMu
    April 2010-ASMu w/marching band
    Aug. 2011 ASMu
    Aug. 2012 Off Prop.
    Aug 2013 Off prop.
    Next:Aug 2014??

Post Thanks / Like

While the subject matter is a bit dark, I have to admit the acting is outstanding. Mom & Norm, despite their creepiness and the Oedipus overtone, are very natural.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: