Quantcast Aug 21 - Aug 28

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Aug 21 - Aug 28

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Aug 21 - Aug 28

Last week I finally booked a trip to WDW. My son (13 yrs old) picked POR. Is this a busy time or should the crowds be a bit less? The reason I am asking is when trying booking out table meals I found that I could not get any of the times or days I wanted available. I checked Disney website and all the standard rooms are booked, only garden view and better are available. Please note my son has aspergers, PDD, ADHD, and other issues. Should I change the date? Or should I keep this time (and stop worrying about crowds)?

PS thank you in advance!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll be there at the same time!

It is a decent time to go, crowds are moderate, not crazy (since some schools have started to go back) at all.

Restaurants are getting booked, since it has been the start of "free dining" for the past number of years, and many people are booking in hopes and anticiapation of it being offered again. Even with free dining, which does bump up crowds a bit, it isn't insane, and the restaurants get the biggest hit.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We've booked that same week for several years now. It's our FAVORITE time to go. The weather is warm but be ready for rain!!! It's not terribly crowded but for some reason it's always hard to book ADRs. I imagine it is because people are anticipating free dining during that time frame. Keep trying on your ADRs. I've also found that sometimes if I call instead of using the online system, I've had better luck. Have a great trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default August

We are going from 8/19-8/28, just booked our airfare last night. We have a our ressie from a bounce back offer and did make a few table service ressies. With the new Disney website, however, having some issues. Calling may be better. Crowds are moderate, it seems every year around this time, it gets more crowded. HOT, yes, actually welcome the rain occasionally. Can't wait!!

Post Thanks / Like

We'll be there then too! I've been getting some strange responses for dining at times. One day in August only had Victoria and Albert's available! With the new system I've been calling more than I use to.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

We will also be there then too, it is our favourite time to go. The weather is hot with regular rainfall but the crowds are low
    Sequoia Lodge @ DLP 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 & 2015
    Hotel New York @ DLP 2007,2008 & 2010
    Newport Bay @ DLP 2014
    All Star Movies @ WDW 2006
    Pop Century @ WDW 2007
    Port Orleans FQ @ WDW 2009, 2011, 2013 & 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't even bother making ADRs ahead of time. I'm sure you know very well the challenges your son has, but I have two boys with very similar issues and we can't really make ADRs because our vacations are never "predictable."

We've visited WDW with them twice, and are going back again in August as well. The first visit, we had an ADR for every day. I ended up canceling all of them. We did much better just making same day ADRs once we had a better idea of how the day was going to progress. It's easy to do on Disney's mobile site.

I will warn you that August at WDW is notorious for "pop up", sometimes severe thunderstorms. I don't know if your son has any sensory issues, but if he doesn't like to get wet or hear thunder, be well prepared every day with an umbrella, or poncho, or both. Also, start prepping him for the possibility that a thunderstorm might necessitate a change in plan/schedule. We have to watch the weather like a hawk because one of our sons is terrified of thunder. He had a really severe anxiety attack when we were caught outdoors during a very fast moving and loud storm last August while we were out at the pool.

POR is a beautiful resort, but it is very big. I would probably be hesitant to stay there in the summer if there are no more preferred rooms left. It is a lot of walking to get to the main building. However, if your son picked it, that's probably where you have to stay.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

When I went in 2008, the only thing really crowded was the waterparks. The parks had moderate crowds that were manageable. Be careful of the humidity and the thunderstorms.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

We go just about every year at this time. The crowds are very manageable.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be a downer but I have to go against what others are saying. We've gone that week 3 times over the course of about 6-7 years and I have found it increasingly crowded. Last year we went from August 17-27 and I thought the crowds were insane. Now I do think it may have been a matter of going to the wrong park on the wrong day since others don't seem to share my experience but I'm not sure. During the week of our trip deep resort discounts and free dining overlapped so that no doubt had a lot to do with it. Me and hubby agreed we would never do that again. Also the first time we got almost no rain, the second time it rained almost every day all day and last year was a mix, clear most of the day, rain for a couple of hours every afternoon so just be prepared.
    1974-off site w/mom, dad and family
    1999-All Star Movies
    2001-All Star Movies
    2002-Port Orlean Riverside
    2003-Contemporary
    2004-Wilderness Lodge
    Coming soon-Feb 2007 FW Cabins!

Post Thanks / Like

.....been at WDW the past 3 times in late August and the crowd level is definitely "down" during the week. All the kids in the southern states go back to school in early-mid August ...so that faction of the 'crowd' is missing.

....if you're there on a weekend, however, the 'day-trippers' will boost the crowd levels, particularly Fri & Sat nights at EPCOT (big dinner and drinking days)

....we did, however, catch some of hurricane Irene in 2011 (during our travel to WDW), and 1/2 day of hurricane Issac in 2012. But ...that's why there are ponchos!! And what better way to lose weight than walking around in your own personal sauna in Florida
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP