Quantcast Magic band pics surface

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Magic band pics surface

I didn't see a thread started on this yet. This weekend some pictures started surfacing of the magic bands. For those that were concerned about being removable and or adjustable, they will be. Picture the snaps on the back of a baseball cap. There are also supposedly going to be customizable, where you can pick from an assortment of colors and characters, I'm sure those will be pricey. And there is rumor they are working on a jewelry line for those that don't like bracelets, they will have watches, necklaces, keychains, etc.

My first thought is mainly about the jewlery line, a) I'm sure that will be rather pricey
    B) seeing they will be charged for, I can't imagine someone buying a watch or necklace that can only be used once, so if that's the case, how can it be used for future trips? I'm wondering how that's going to work. I picture a SIM card type being exchangeable. But that's all speculation.

Thought I'd share the news, don't know how to attach photos.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    And there is rumor they are working on a jewelry line for those that don't like bracelets, they will have watches, necklaces, keychains, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Who says RFID needs to be a one tine use thing?

RFID is just a unique token, that, in Disney's case, would be attached to a profile with entitlements etc. That profile could technically be updated for future trips, etc. Now, if they don't want to allow that is Disney's call. I suspect they will opt for buy a new one each trip/stay though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Just my way of saying, I think this is getting even more out of hand. A jewelry line? More choices? More characters? More everything? I just want to ride Soarin'.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Just my way of saying, I think this is getting even more out of hand. A jewelry line? More choices? More characters? More everything? I just want to ride Soarin'.
    Oh lol I was like oh geez what did I say! lol It's a Monday and haven't finished my coffee yet....lol

Yea, definitely out of control, I think too. But it's rumor right now, but apparently that's their solution for people not liking or wanting a "band" around their wrist all day, that don't like the feel or whatever.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Who says RFID needs to be a one tine use thing?

RFID is just a unique token, that, in Disney's case, would be attached to a profile with entitlements etc. That profile could technically be updated for future trips, etc. Now, if they don't want to allow that is Disney's call. I suspect they will opt for buy a new one each trip/stay though.
    So would they just reset the RFID remotely if permanently installed in one of these things? Or I am picturing a insert-able sim card like older cell phones....which I am sure is totally off base, but I am technically challenged with some of these things...lol I personally think this whole RFID is completely out of control lol. But, some people like it, so to each their own.

I would like to know how they plan on getting this whole thing to work seamlessly when they cannot even get their own website to work, and websites have been around for how long? They can't even get that right, never mind a system that will be in charge of millions of guests.

If Disney has proved anything, it would be get every dime they can, and if they can sell a watch or necklace or key chain once a year to regulars (making it a one time use feature), I am sure they will at least try and see if it sticks. Personally? Nope, thanks, I will not give you another penny for something like that to use once a year....the bands themselves? Eh, I am sure they can only charge so much for those where it would just be ridiculous to over charge for, but I would do one of the character ones because it would be a good memento in the scrap book if it is a once a year thing. But, all speculation right now anyway.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

So would they just reset the RFID remotely if permanently installed in one of these things? Or I am picturing a insert-able sim card like older cell phones....which I am sure is totally off base, but I am technically challenged with some of these things...
    RFID chips can be easily reprogrammed. It's not a removable chip.

I cannot even fathom spending money on a piece of RFID jewelry, though. That is ridiculous. Extra jewelry is the last thing I want to wear at a theme park...I don't even wear a watch most of the time anymore. Unless they can find a way to RFID tag my wedding rings, no thank you!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Oh lol I was like oh geez what did I say! lol It's a Monday and haven't finished my coffee yet....lol

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

I cannot even fathom spending money on a piece of RFID jewelry, though. That is ridiculous. Extra jewelry is the last thing I want to wear at a theme park...I don't even wear a watch most of the time anymore. Unless they can find a way to RFID tag my wedding rings, no thank you!

Now that it appears to be removable I can assure you it will spend most of it's time in my pocket or clipped to my lanyard.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post

Now that it appears to be removable I can assure you it will spend most of it's time in my pocket or clipped to my lanyard.
    Keep in mind if don't want the bands you don't have to get them. Just have everything on your room key which will also have RFID. I think everyone is too hung up on the bands.

I for one wear watches and collect them. So if they happen to make a watch that I like and it happens to have RFID in it then I think that would be pretty cool.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

So far, the long awaited "NextGen" has really underwhelmed. I'm hoping it pays off in some big way for the guest side of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    So far, the long awaited "NextGen" has really underwhelmed. I'm hoping it pays off in some big way for the guest side of things.
    I'm pretty sure the pay off isn't for the guests...

Post Thanks / Like

This is so rediculously silly I cannot find the words!
    This weekend I spent the day in resorts and downtown. I was finishing a project of buying postcards from every resort we've stayed in. (Ones I stayed in before I started the project)

Anyhow- I'm there trying to buy a .92 cent postcard. And not ONE line I was in out if 5 resorts did I NOT witness a problem with the new RFID system. Ppl forgot their pins. The swiper "wouldn't read" the card. One insanely long wait after another.

At CSR, I waited as the cashier battled the guest's before me room key. When it was my turn she said "I'm SO sorry for the wait- we have a new system now" to which I replied, "yeah I know- how's THAT workin' out for ya?"
    She smiled and rolled her eyes and said "don't ask!!"

So it's beyond frustrating that the guests and CMs alike are not at enjoying this or benefitting from this. So what's the point!?

Arrrrgh!

As for the wristbands- UNbelievable that they are actually proposing a jewelry line! Are you kidding me!?

Maybe folks that don't like wearing ANYTHING will be able to get a chip implanted like what my dogs have?!

Sorry. I no likey the RFID
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I'm pretty sure the pay off isn't for the guests...
    At this point, pay off for anyone might be a pleasant surprise. However, I would be stunned if they sunk all this money into this project without the goal of improving the guest experience. From all the information available to this point, they've not helped themselves or the guests very much.

I heard from a friend with an AP that they're waiting in longer lines these days because Disney has reduced the number of queues to enter the parks that accept the old media. What a clever way to reduce that value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I heard from a friend with an AP that they're waiting in longer lines these days because Disney has reduced the number of queues to enter the parks that accept the old media. What a clever way to reduce that value.

That is 100% true. I posted pics on INTERCOT's twitter page of the 5-6 ppl on the RFID ticket gate, and the 500-600 ppl on long ques for the regular gate. Rediculous.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

A quick technical aside (sorry, can't help myself, I'm an engineer and it comes out every once in a while)... the only information that's on an RFID is essentially an ID#. So when they scan your RFID bracelet / tickets / room key /etc, they are just reading your ID#, which they then use to look you up in their system and find whatever information they need. The actual meaningful information itself (what resort you're staying at, your DOB, what kind of passes you have, your credit card #, etc) is not in any sense "on" the RFID device (bracelet, etc). Its still in the Disney reservation system, the same as today. They're just using the RFID to identify you so they can look you up. It's no different then them looking at your drivers license and using your name or some other personal information to look you up.

My point being that there's no reason to think that the RFID devices wouldn't be reusable or that they would require any kind of "reprogramming". As long as they don't re-issue ID#s, they should be able to simply assign your existing ID# from your existing RFID device to a new reservation.

Apologize in advance if this seems like an unimportant subtlety. I get the impression that a lot of people are picturing that their information is somehow going to be stored in a memory on the RFID bracelet and that's really not at all how the technology works.
    Bay Lake Tower - 2014, 2015
    Polynesian Resort - 2013
    Wilderness Lodge - 2011
    Port Orleans - 2003
    Hotel Plaza - 2002
    Coronado Springs - 1998
    Disneyland - 1997
    All Star Music - 1995, 1997
    Offsite - 1980, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously. As if there aren't enough decisions to make on a Disney trip.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Maybe folks that don't like wearing ANYTHING will be able to get a chip implanted like what my dogs have?!
    Please don't give them anymore new ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    That is 100% true. I posted pics on INTERCOT's twitter page of the 5-6 ppl on the RFID ticket gate, and the 500-600 ppl on long ques for the regular gate. Rediculous.
    They really need to get their act together! This sounds like one big mess.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

"What? A wristband? But I don't like wristbands! I don't want to wear a wristband!"

You don't like wristbands? Okay well, how about we implement a variety so that people can have a choice of what they would like to wear/use?

"What? Choices? I don't like choices! WDW is getting too complicated!"

You know you're free to not use any of this right?

Another choice?! NOooooooooooOOOOooo!!!

There's plenty of things to be wary about with this new system. The ability to choose what type of RFID device you get is not one of them.

But seriously, there's definitely a lot of "this is more trouble than it's worth" floating around this whole RFID system. I really can't imagine how any of this would enhance my trip at all. Key to the World card with a linked credit card works perfectly imo.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    But seriously, there's definitely a lot of "this is more trouble than it's worth" floating around this whole RFID system. I really can't imagine how any of this would enhance my trip at all. Key to the World card with a linked credit card works perfectly imo.

When I hear or read "RFID", I immediately think about work. By the time of my next trip, I'll be celebrating my retirement from Federal Service. So, as a present to myself, I'm going to overlook all threads about RFID and will deal with it only if it ever applies to me. It's the Key to the World card with a linked credit card for me.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: