Quantcast First trip with a 2 1/2 yr old

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First trip with a 2 1/2 yr old

Any tips for a first trip with a 2 and half year old? My DH and I have been many times but this will be the first trip with our daughter. She is for the most part a laid back little girl but not sure what to expect her to be able to do. Any advise is very welcome!

If you've taken your toddlers, what was their favorite things to see, do, look at, etc....

What was the things that took you by surprise?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago we went to Disney with my brother's family which included a 2 year old. It was, in many ways, a wonderful trip but it certainly had its challenges - particularly for my brother and his wife.

Remember, though, that every toddler is different so experiences can vary greatly.

Our little guy loved Disney World! He had a great time with the characters (I was concerned about his as he is really a pretty shy kid) but had not use at all for face characters. My brother made sure they kept to my nephew's schedule (i.e. They didn't force anything or overdo anything). Still, there were a few meltdowns.

With a toddler, you never know what will be a favorite - it could be a flower, a water feature - whatever. Our nephew loved the seagulls outside the Living Seas - we stood out there for quite a long time so he could see them chant "Mine...mine" over and over. He was also a huge fan of the car stunt show in Disney Studios (but he loves cars anyway). Other shows got mixed results.

His favorite ride at that time was the Carousel. He was very upset when we needed to get off.

He also loved the resort pools "Watta" was the word whenever he spied any body of water!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I have taken one of my grand
    daughters when she was 1 yr. old, 18 mo's, and 4 yrs.

When she was 1 she really did not give a darn, but when we took her at 18 months we had dinner at Crystal Palace and she had a ball there and most everywhere else we took her. When I took her for her 4th bday, well we don't have enough computer space to tell all. Basically she had a ball.

She is pretty laid back as well. Have fun.

Hope this helps..
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips! We will have her Grammie (DH Mom) and my SIL and family with us as well. The more the better in this case.

I think we will be booking CRT breakfast, Akershus princess breakfast, Crystal Palace and Donalds Safari Breakfast.

We are talking about Disney, she loves anything Disney already (From Mickey/Minnie to Rapunzel and anything Disney jr.). We are also showing her our vacation pictures and videos.

How did you prepare your lil family members for the trip? Were they ok riding dark rides like Pirates or Haunted Mansion (my fave)? Thanks again for the input, love us some Disney people. Always so helpful!
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't mention when you are going. I would try to make it a time of the year when kids are in school and the parks aren't that busy. I know it's getting harder to do that, but I would try not to go in the summer with a little one. Try to go when the weather is on your side.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Minnie - We are going the second week in November. We normally go that week and it has low crowds. Just a little nervous about her first trip.
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We've taken DS1 at 5 months, 1.5 yr, and 3. And it was different every single time.

Make sure you know where each baby center is and use them!

Chose seating wisely during shows. I always made sure I knew where the exit was in case I had to dart out if he got upset.

Like a previous poster, make sure you take the time for her to decide what she likes. DS seemed to like most of the street performers and that forced us to slow down (which was great).

Don't be surprised if the characters scare her. Some kids love them, some don't. DS was fascinated with them but then freaked at Donald at Chef Mickey's because he thought Donald was going to take his mickey waffles!

Not sure if she's potty trained or in diapers but always bring a change of clothes for her in the parks. Diaper blowouts or pee pants happen just when you don't want them to.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

We took my son the first time at 9 months and the second time at 2 1/2. Both times were wonderful and a challenge. Definitely bring a change of clothes everyday and a bathing suit everyday. The water play areas are a big hit. I suggest a back pack vs. a diaper bag as it makes it easier to grab and throw on you when dealing with a fussy child. Being snacks and a favorite toy as distractions. My son was easy and would fall asleep often in the stroller. Go at the child's pace. It helps prevent meltdowns. My son loved the characters at 9 months and didn't like them at 2. Have fun and take lots of pictures. Some of my favorites pictures of my son at those ages at Disney.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

We took my son when he was a month shy of three. He had the time of his life! He loved all the characters--ran up to everyone for great big hugs--and we really enjoyed breakfast at the Crystal Palace.

The Disney Junior show was a huge hit for him, and he loved Philharmagic as well. Rides he enjoyed included Peter Pan, Pooh, Dumbo, the Barnstormer (the Goofy rollercoaster!), Nemo, the Gran Fiesta Tour...he liked Turtle Talk with Crush and the tanks at the Seas too.
    2004: Honeymoon! All Star Movies!
    2006: All Star Movies
    June 2008: Pop Century
    October-November 2008: Pop Century
    October 2010: Pop Century
    August 2012: AS Movies...my son's first trip!
    August 2013: CBR
    August 2014: Pop
    August 2015: Riverside!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: