Quantcast St Augustine.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: St Augustine.

Post Thanks / Like

Default St Augustine.

We are going to be in St. Augustine in October for 3 days and I need some help as I haven't been there in 16 years--& I was only 12! We would like a clean, cheaper hotel in a good area. The main things we would like to do are: Golf Hall of Fame, beach, & the gator farm. Open to more suggestions, but really looking for hotel ideas. I saw another post about st Augustine, but they were looking for suggestions on a deluxe hotel. Thanks !!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just this past December, we stayed at Best Western Historical Inn (2010 N Ponce De Leon Blvd St Augustine)

Not fancy, but it was clean, comfy bed and staff was helpful. We used a coupon out of one of those books you pick up at rest stops.. I think it was around 69.00 with the coupon.

We were there on Christmas day and I thought it would be deserted, but the town was packed with tourist. We will go back when we have more time, the History is amazing. Aside from the obvious Castillo de San Marcos, we were blown away by The Cathedral Basilica and Flagler College (formerly Hotel Ponce de Leon).

Just. Wow.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Fort Mantanzas National Monument 14 miles south on A1A. Free admission includes ferry ride over to fort. Don't know how budget problems will affect this.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your responses! I will definitely look into that hotel and those attractions. Is there an area you would suggest staying away from?

Post Thanks / Like

My goodness...

You NEED to go eat at the Santa Maria ask for a table by the window. They give you a loaf of cheap bread to drop down to the hungry catfish below...it's so wild watching them climb over one another to get tot he food. The water is totally alive. People food is pretty good too.

We enjoyed touring thru one of the forts. I can't remember the name of it though. But it was supposed to be the OLDEST Fort in the US. Castillo...something I think. It was cool because the walls were made of a caliche (however you spell it). A "soft" material. When the enemy fired on it...the cannon balls would stick in the walls rather than tear them down. Occupants would collect the balls at night and fire them back at the enemy in the morning.

They also had Ponce de Leon tour. Kinda quirky but you could drink a small drink from the fountian of youth...

I would have liked to go to the beach. It's supposedly powder white sand. That would have been neat to see. All of Florida's waters are nice.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been, but I hear the pirate museum is nice too! It was originally in key west and moved to St Augustine.

Hope you have fun! I really want to try to get away to St Augustine some time.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I will second Best Western Historical Inn. It was very clean and a good location to do the things you want to do. We got a great AAA rate. We haven't seen it in awhile but the St. George Inn is actually in the old city and has always been very nice and reasonably priced. With the St. George Inn you can walk the entire old city and never move your car. Make sure you walk the old city at dusk and take a ghost tour (starts beside St.George Inn). Pizzalley is one of our favorite places to eat in the world. Its in the heart of the old city.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for that info! Not having to use a car much would be great!

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

A few years, we spent a week in St Augustine and had a wonderful time. The history is amazing.

We stayed at the Bayfront Inn on Avenida Menendez; our room was in the historic section of the Inn - the Rodriguez House, which was a First Spanish Period building built by Royal Decree of the King of Spain.

We were able to walk to many sites, including the Castillo de San Marcos (the oldest fort in the US), the Lightner Museum, and the shops and restaurants of historic St. George Street. As someone already recommended, be sure to have dinner at the Santa Maria; you can also feed the catfish with the bread your server will give you.

We also took a great sightseeing tour - Old Town Trolley Tours of St. Augustine. If you google the name, the website has a lot of help information, as well as a map of St. Augustine and descriptions of the sites at the various tour stops.

If you enjoy history, you'll love St. Augustine. Have a good itme.
    Sylvia șOș

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

We love St Augustine. Even when we are not staying there, we stop at the outlet mall on our way through town. They have a character warehouse that carries park merchandise a great way to get a quick fix!
    Daytrip 2001
    HI FamilySuites (now Nick Hotel) 2003
    POR - 2005
    WL 2006, 2007

Cabins 2008
    Jan. '10 DS turns 5 - quick trip with Mommy at ASMo
    June '10 Grand Gathering at the Cabins
    Fall '11 POP last minute surprise
    Summer 2012 Beach Club and Cars Art of Animation

Post Thanks / Like

The Alligator Farm was actually a really neat little outing and I'd probably go back.

We did the Ripleys Believe it or Not Ghost Tour. They give you electromagnetic readers so you can monitor ghost activity and at the end of the tour you go to the Ripleys Museum at night. It was cheeky, but my boyfriend liked it.

Apparently there is also a famous lighthouse, but I've never been to it.

There is a pub crawl tour, if you're into that. There is also a "Ghost" pub crawl tour where they tell you ghost stories at every bar. I've never done it, but I know a few people have.

Also, the shell walls at the fort are called coquina (pronounced co-keen-a). :-D

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: