Quantcast Mickey Gras and a Birthday Arrival and Day 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mickey Gras and a Birthday Arrival and Day 1

This was a Birthday trip for my oldest son, turned 13 in Disney! My kids were off of school for Mardi Gras, but we aren't huge Mardi Gras fans so off to Disney we went to celebrate "MIckey Gras" instead.

We traveled with my SIL and her family of 5 and my Mother in law and Father in law. We had a few friends and other family in Disney at the same time. We had a few meals with some, ran into others, and didn't even see some.

Checked kids out of school around noon and started our drive earlier than we had planned. Always great when that happens. We had a very easy drive and before midnight we realized we were much closer than we thought we'd get, and DH and I were wide awake so we continued driving. At first the plan was to make it to Disney and surprise the kids, who were both sleeping in the back. Some where along the way we thought "how fun would it be to walk on a beach in the morning". It's been a few years since we've been to the beach so we ended up at a Hilton on the beach in Clearwater Beach, Florida for the night. The kids had no clue till we woke up and went outside the next morning.

We had a good sleep and a wonderful morning walking the beach, running in the surf, and collecting sea shells. The beach just does something wonderful to the soul! The kids ran and played for a while, then we gathered up our stuff, checked out, and went a few blocks down for breakfast. We had breakfast at a nice little open air cafe right by the beach. We had fresh fruit, and crab and lobster eggs benedict, with the freshest orange juice ever! What a way to start vacation!

The drive to Disney was easy and in no time at all we had our tickets from Shades of Green and were checking in at Wilderness Lodge. There is nothing like walking into that lodge to check in at the beginning of a trip. Our room wasn't ready so we grabbed the beach bag, got the kids swim suits, and headed to the pool.

We spent the remainder of the day at the pool with pina colavas, and the most gorgeous weather you could ask for. Vacation just hasn't begun until I have a pina colava in hand at the resort pool! LOL.

Our room was ready around 3. We had a wonderful location, just what we asked for. We were overlooking the lobby on the 4th floor, just a few doors down from "our living room" on the 4th floor. Perfect location for us. We loved the new bedding, curtains, and flooring in the rooms. And the bathroom was very nice as well. The room felt much brighter and cleaner than before. There was also new furniture in the lobby, and "our living room". The lobby furniture was nice, but the new furniture in "our living room" was no where near as comfortable as what was there before. DH even went talk to them about what they did with the old furniture. He wanted to buy it and take it home with us. LOL. The kids played in the arcade, and we took some time to walk around our beloved lodge until it was time to head out for church.

After church we drove straight to the Poly for our traditional first night dinner at Ohana's. This just never gets old for us. We had 4 first time Disney visitors with us and they were blown away by Ohana's.

My father in law has never really had an interest in going to WDW. He only agreed to come because we kept asking him and my mother in law, who has been twice before, loves it and really wanted him to join her this time. I'll just say right here that apparently Disney still has a good bit of magic left because my FIL is still talking about the place, and is more than willing to go back with us in a few years. The other newbies have stated several times since the trip that they now understand why we keep going back and they too look forward to return trips.

Anyway, back to the trip. Ohana's was great as always. Everything was yummy and Collin got his first birthday cupcake of the trip. There were a few menu changes, but we felt the changes were all better than what was in place before.

After dinner the rest of our group left to head back to their resort. I called my friend who was staying at the Poly and we met to visit with them in the lobby for a bit. This was her first time staying at the Poly and she fell in love with it. She says it will be very difficult to stay anywhere else from now on. Also my friend's sister is doing the college program right now and is loving it. She told us that she has no plans to return home to Louisiana when her CP is over. She plans to stay in Flordia, so my friend now has a good reason to go back more often! It was so good seeing her and her family in WDW. We worked together over 10 years ago and still keep in touch weekly, but it's been over a year since I've actually seen her in person.

Back at WL we turned in for the night as soon as we walked through the doors! Tomorrow is MK!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful start to your vacation! Thanks so much for reporting.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping you would do a report! I always love reading about your trips.

Sounds like a great start to your vacation. I wholeheartedly agree. There is something about the beach, the sand in your toes, and sound of the waves that just makes me happy down to my soul. Love it!

Can't wait to read more.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    We spent the remainder of the day at the pool with pina colavas, and the most gorgeous weather you could ask for. Vacation just hasn't begun until I have a pina colava in hand at the resort pool! LOL.
    Yes!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

They changed the furniture?!! I loved the big comfy chair there!!

Great birthday celebration and congrats on converting even more folks to the Disney Way!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Ah! The beach . . . Definitely recharge time.

We also have brought newbies in recent trips - 2013 and 2010. I agree, they get it and make plans to return.

Ohana for supper is so fun. Tho we've only done this once we still talk about it fondly.

Thanks, Denise, for taking the time for a trip report.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    They changed the furniture?!! I loved the big comfy chair there!!
    Yes, they changed the furniture in the 4th floor sitting room. The big comfy leather chairs are gone!!!!!!! It's still very nice, but the chairs now aren't really comfortable. Oh how we missed our old chairs. LOL
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, Ohana's is our favorite Disney restaurant so far

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Great way to start your trip - glad the drive was uneventful and the ocean was uplifting to you all.

Denise, you've just made me so homesick with your wonderful descriptors of WL. Bummer that they took out our comfy chairs, but it sounds like the place is still magical as always.

13?????!!!!!!!! How did that happen?! Looking forward as always to reading your adventures.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful start to your vacation!!
    I LOVE the Wilderness lodge also!! We've stayed there 2 times already..and I can't wait to stay there again!
    Off to read more about your trip!
    *bRiTTaNy*
    35 trips to WDW already...
    May 2012 - Daughters first trip - one bedroom Villa at Wilderness Lodge
    Sept 2012 - Pirate room at CBR
    Dec 2014 - SSR -second daughters first trip and my older daughters 5th Birthday!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post

13?????!!!!!!!! How did that happen?!
    I know right!!! My oldest is 13 and my "baby" turns 11 a week from today. Where did all that time go! To think their first trip to Disney was when they were 2 years old and 9 months old! I would give anything to go back and do it all over again!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great first day! That seafood breakfast sounded awesome!
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Ya'll sound like our kind of Disney family. We usually start our vacation with the beach in St. Augustine just to set the mood. We love the WL and Ohana. Sounds like the perfect start to a vacation with plenty of pool and resort time. We will be going back in June with family from Lafayette LA, and already have our big reservation for 12 at Ohana.
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: