Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 12

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
    Run Melbourne Half Marathon

I’m pleased to report that on Sunday I completed the Run Melbourne half marathon – my first ever half marathon (and first ever race).

My official time - 2:08:01. I couldn’t believe it. I began the run thinking 2:30 would be achievable and I would have been happy with that time. The aim was really just to finish. So excited that I have now officially run a half marathon.

But Run Melbourne was a fantastic first race. I had lots of fun and now have a proof of time to get me out of the back corrals at WDW Marathon Weekend (as well as a fancy Run Melbourne medal).
    Excellent - all of it! Congratulations!!!!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I took a little cheat day yesterday ( no exercise and went over on my caloric intake) and I felt so guilty. I know it's probably good to cheat every now and then though? I know most of you are probably past this stage, so let me ask....do you run/walk/exercise in order to eat what you want?
    UMmmm, maybe. I do it for fitness and to keep my back in check. I have spinalstenosis and it helps me keep my back muscles strong to help me.

But I do admit if you are burning calories YES you can eat a “little less healthy”. WE try not to. Nothing with preservatives or lots of bread and less chips and junk food. And we are not big on alcohol but do have wine and some liquor at times. Just not on a regular basis…just in moderation as with all that is not super healthy. We do watch what we eat but at times we do, I would not say eat what we want, eat less healthy. I'm a fried food and pizza junkie and ice cream fool! My self control over the past 5 years has gotten a lot better. We do 80/20. You do need to have some of the "bad" stuff at times to keep your metabolism in check. So chicken wings some pizza etc is not bad. Turkey Hill ice cream too! Just not every day/night!!! LOL

But I would say usually we are very health conscience. Funny we look at the internet when articles are posed when some head-line says – BEST FOODS TO BURN CALORIES or TO LOSE WEIGHT. Then I read it and sigh…YEAH WE ALREADY DO THAT – TELL ME SOMETHING I DON’T KNOW, PLEASE!!!

In case you didn’t know, higher protein foods and complex carbs are better. They help feed your muscle and your body will burn the fat when you run/walk/workout. PLUS if you eat the better stuff you won’t be hungry as often. Also be sure to eat some sort of breakfast and at least 4 times a day. I found that one thing, I never ate breatkfast...nor ate 4 times a day ever until I began my conditioning years ago. This helps keep your metabolism active. If you already knew this...sorry.

YES the workouts do help but if you are trying to lose weight...the main rule is you need to burn more than you take in for loss. Soon you will see your clothes will be loose! It will happen over time. Stick with it. It's much better to lose the weight and get into shape slow as the weight begins to fall off you vs. trying to starve yourself. Starving doesn’t work. Your body will go into starvation mode and store fat as a defense mechanism. So don't do that! Its a change that takes time.

Building strength works thru some basic body weight exercises that you can do at home will help too. CORE exercises...you can never go wrong with those. If you can squeeze in 10 to 15 mins of some exercise each day - at least - you can go a long way. This would be on your OFF run/walk days. OR you can still do them on your run/walk/cardio days too. I do... Who does not have 15 mins to spare??? I have found this a great complement to the walking/running workouts.

Key - stay motivated. Dn't choose GOALS of exercise that are TOO HARD and too long per session. That's why I suggest do them on your days off from walking/running. If you set a bar too high - you won't do them on a regular basis. It will be easier to say, I’ll just skip it today… And that won’t help. Start out slow...and progress. Try a few reps. Start at 10. Then each week try and add 10. If you can get yourself up to 30 reps of an exercise before muscle fail that is great. If you GOOGLE “TUL” you will see types of exercised that don’t require any equipment and or need much time. TUL – time under load. You get more of a muscle work out in a shorter time. Don’t be fooled that you need to work out with weights for hrs and hrs each day. Unless you want to look like Hugh Jackman in the new Wolverine movie!

I may suggest:

Pushups - either men’s or lady type.

For Core Workouts - PLANKS - they are great. Both left side and right side and center types.

And some sort of sit up. WE purchased a BOSU BALL years ago and it's a great balance core tool and sit up type of device.

Pushups and Core/Planks and Sit-ups will help you tone. And there are MANY variations of them. GOOGLE will show you how many variations are out there. Again start out slow and progress. You will see weekly improvements. REMEMBER we all started somewhere!!!

If you have some other issues with a bad back or ailment TUL is good since it’s a SLOW work out with your own body weight. It’s the fast type of workouts pounding high rep counts that can get you in trouble.

GOOD LUCK!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Been There; Done That; Got The Shirt; AND GOING BACK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
    Run Melbourne Half Marathon

I’m pleased to report that on Sunday I completed the Run Melbourne half marathon – my first ever half marathon (and first ever race).

My official time - 2:08:01. I couldn’t believe it. I began the run thinking 2:30 would be achievable and I would have been happy with that time. The aim was really just to finish. So excited that I have now officially run a half marathon.
    CONGRATS on a job well done!!!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm continuing with my training. The Disneyland Half is just over a month away. My first organized run. I can't believe it's so close!

I also can't believe that I ran eleven miles on Sunday. I finished in two hours, fifteen minutes. I'm certainly not going to set any speed records but my pace is pretty consistant. Plus the very fact that I ran ELEVEN miles is pretty impressive - at least for me.

It was a hard day for me, too. Even at the begining of the run on Sunday I needed to push for every step. By about the seventh or eighth mile I was seriously questioning what I was thinking and by mile ten my chant to get me through was 'just one more mile.' But, I did it. I was VERY glad when RunKeeper told me that I'd hit eleven miles. At that point rather than staying on the path I took a short cut back to my car. I just couldn't bear the thought of adding another half mile at that point by contining on the track.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Two words you guys- FOAM ROLLER

My uncle is an athletic trainer/sports PT and does rehab for many professional & minor league sports teams and this weekend I got some great recovery/stretch tips. Definitely stretch after running and he didn't think it mattered if you stretch immediately or waited a little bit after your cool down. But the best tool for recovery you can use is a foam roller. Roll every day whether you ran or not- do you quads, hammies, calf muscles and your outer thighs/hips. That last one is the most important for helping with runners knee, which I've been dealing with lately. They are around $15-20 and worth every penny. I got one and rolled today after cross training- OMG it felt so great. I am really looking forward to using this!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

It is so motivating to read each race or training story. Congratulations! In fact, I was thinking about the posts on this thread while I was out for my run this morning. Thank you for helping me through the nine miles! Although I didn't love every minute of it, I actually started to be excited about the marathon. Up until today, I was really wishing I had stuck with the half!

Keep it up everyone and thank you for all of the encouragement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Well, I'm continuing with my training. The Disneyland Half is just over a month away. My first organized run. I can't believe it's so close!

I also can't believe that I ran eleven miles on Sunday. I finished in two hours, fifteen minutes. I'm certainly not going to set any speed records but my pace is pretty consistant. Plus the very fact that I ran ELEVEN miles is pretty impressive - at least for me.

It was a hard day for me, too. Even at the begining of the run on Sunday I needed to push for every step. By about the seventh or eighth mile I was seriously questioning what I was thinking and by mile ten my chant to get me through was 'just one more mile.' But, I did it. I was VERY glad when RunKeeper told me that I'd hit eleven miles. At that point rather than staying on the path I took a short cut back to my car. I just couldn't bear the thought of adding another half mile at that point by contining on the track.
    Congratulations on your 11! You are going to do so well at the Disneyland Half! The energy that you will pull from the event - well, I can't wait for you to experience it.
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Minnie View Post
    It is so motivating to read each race or training story. Congratulations! In fact, I was thinking about the posts on this thread while I was out for my run this morning. Thank you for helping me through the nine miles! Although I didn't love every minute of it, I actually started to be excited about the marathon. Up until today, I was really wishing I had stuck with the half!

Keep it up everyone and thank you for all of the encouragement.
    Great on the 9! My training is structured differently in that I am putting in 4 days of lower #'s - then I get a day off and start a new 4 day push. So when I see posts of 9's and 11's and 13.1's - I feel like I am behind in my training. But I tell you, right now I could not even begin to think of those numbers. Currently, I am in another 4 day cycle. 4-6-6-6. I completed the second 6 this morning. Another 6 tomorrow...really looking forward to Friday....

Happy and healthy training everybody!

By the way... I love my foam roller. Just sayin'
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Today I walked 3.44 mile in 1:00:15. Today was my best day. Broke all kinds of personal "records". I know I will be running soon. Thank you soo much to #runICOT family for giving me the motivation to do this.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yungbuck73 View Post
    Today I walked 3.44 mile in 1:00:15. Today was my best day. Broke all kinds of personal "records". I know I will be running soon. Thank you soo much to #runICOT family for giving me the motivation to do this.
    Love it Justin! You're a rockstar, keep up the great work!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    You'll have to let me know what you are wearing, as I'll be on the course cheering. You can do this!

You rock, Justin!

Okay, admission time. I think I went a little too hard core and it caught up with me. Not enough caloric intake for the amount of exercise I was doing. I'm steadying that out though, and have cut back some on the exercise and have felt good these past few days. It was a rough weekend though.

But good thing is, my time is getting better, and I'm not even out of breath when walking. I can actually carry on a conversation. LOL! Running will start soon...very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    Love it Justin! You're a rockstar, keep up the great work!
    Thanks I'm trying.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Go get 'em!

Congratulations!
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Great on the 9! My training is structured differently in that I am putting in 4 days of lower #'s - then I get a day off and start a new 4 day push. So when I see posts of 9's and 11's and 13.1's - I feel like I am behind in my training. But I tell you, right now I could not even begin to think of those numbers. Currently, I am in another 4 day cycle. 4-6-6-6. I completed the second 6 this morning. Another 6 tomorrow...really looking forward to Friday....

Happy and healthy training everybody!

By the way... I love my foam roller. Just sayin'
    Awesome!!! Keep it up!
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!! It's only gonna get better. Stick with it.
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, admission time. I think I went a little too hard core and it caught up with me. Not enough caloric intake for the amount of exercise I was doing. I'm steadying that out though, and have cut back some on the exercise and have felt good these past few days. It was a rough weekend though.

But good thing is, my time is getting better, and I'm not even out of breath when walking. I can actually carry on a conversation. LOL! Running will start soon...very soon.
    Good for you Mel! Glad to hear about your progress.
    Best Regards,
    GMRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Great on the 9! My training is structured differently in that I am putting in 4 days of lower #'s - then I get a day off and start a new 4 day push. So when I see posts of 9's and 11's and 13.1's - I feel like I am behind in my training. But I tell you, right now I could not even begin to think of those numbers. Currently, I am in another 4 day cycle. 4-6-6-6. '
    Thank you! I actually think I would prefer to structure my training similarly to your training. The long weekend runs often feel like big jumps. However with three small children at home, I needed a training plan that was built on running three days a week. The good news is that you are halfway through your current 4 day cycle!

Today I walked 3.44 mile in 1:00:15. Today was my best day. Broke all kinds of personal "records".
    Congratulations! Keep up the great training.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a trap many people fall into. Don't beat yourself up. Have you considered the Galloway method? I know Christine is a fan. Its what I've been using.

In fact, I was using it run/walking the Jungle track at Disney's Vero Beach where I ran across a turtle. Who I named Jeff. I was even training during vacation. But partially to escape the in-laws.
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09
    POR 11/08 (no KIDS)
    BWV 6/08
    SSR 11/07
    AKL - 5/06
    Offsite 6/05
    ASM 7/99
    Offsite 3/97

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, Mel, you have to eat back your workouts. I know you use MyFitnessPal, and as a woman, especially, you should NEVER go below your BMR in net calories per day (unless under the supervision of a doctor). I've fallen into this trap too, and recently had to remind myself that eating MORE leads to weight loss, not the opposite. I've been working out really hard the past few weeks and wasn't eating enough. I've upped my calorie intake significantly and am feeling much better as well. Knowing that if I was in a coma, I'd need 1400 calories per day, netting less than that while running 5 miles 5 days a week was a recipe for disaster.

For EVERYONE here, do yourself a favor, and Google "In place of a roadmap 2k13". Click on the first response, read it, and do it. This is a really good way to determine how many calories you need to sustain your workouts AND lose weight (if that is your goal) or to maintain your weight if you are already at a healthy one. With all the training going on here, it's worthy of sharing this.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMTStone View Post
    That's a trap many people fall into. Don't beat yourself up. Have you considered the Galloway method? I know Christine is a fan. Its what I've been using.
    Actually, no. I have no great aspirations to being a great runner. I just want to be able to do a 5K here and there without dying. I like the Couch to 5K method, and will stick to that.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: