Quantcast Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    (I think I have been trying to push to hard.)
    Correction: "too hard."

Tri- Minnie, there are many days that I will start running and feel like I have never done it before. It is like my body is saying, "What, what is this we are doing?"

For me, sometimes it is easier to think of it in the smaller segements. So, that 5 miles went well, just do that again, and once more (I am over halfway there - the rest is like running home) you do those same 5 again and then your thinking changes to, I "only" have to do those 5 miles once more...and finally, I "just" have 1.2 to go...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Tri- Minnie, there are many days that I will start running and feel like I have never done it before. It is like my body is saying, "What, what is this we are doing?"

For me, sometimes it is easier to think of it in the smaller segements. So, that 5 miles went well, just do that again, and once more (I am over halfway there - the rest is like running home) you do those same 5 again and then your thinking changes to, I "only" have to do those 5 miles once more...and finally, I "just" have 1.2 to go...
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one whose body rebels on them!

Your advice to look at the race in segments is great - I tend to get overwhelmed when I'm feeling horrible at the start of a long run/race. Thanks for the good advice (even though it wasn't written for me). This thread is really helpful.
    Beth aka Gretel - I blame the dolls.

Total trips: I've lost count!
    Resorts: POR, GF, Poly, CB, Pop
    Last trip - Jan 2014 Pop Century & POR; Dopey Challenge
    Next trip - Disneyland Aug, 2014 Half Marathon

Post Thanks / Like

Good job everyone! Way to go, Nikki! How was this sunday's 5k?

I started having ankle/foot problems out of the blue last week and was getting pretty frustrated. DH and I decided to take it easy this week since we had our first official 5K, and that was a good call.

I got a little panicky at the start of the race because it wasn't organized very well. It was at the Philadelphia Zoo, and the pathways are pretty narrow at points. They did not have waves and the starting point was a mess. We tried to put ourselves in the middle but it was hard to tell. When we started out, everyone was running and I was afraid to stick to the Galloway method because I didn't want to get trampled. People were cutting each other off on the sides to try to jump ahead. When we got to about .4 miles DH's shoelace came undone and his little time tag fell off so he found a bench to duck off to and take care of that. That tiny break seemed to give us enough time to let the speedsters get by and get back on track with our method. Still, we ran more than we ever have. Physically I felt great, but it's my asthma that really necessitates the breaks.

We stayed together and finished right at 38 minutes (Well, I kind of burst ahead at the end to clock in at 37.59 ), averaging a 12.14 minute mile, which is faster than I've ever ran on my own. That amazes me because the Zoo is really uneven, with one huge hill in particular that we had to run up and down twice. There were still people cheering at the end, which was really inspiring to give it that last push. I am so proud of both of us!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Maryanne for finishing your first 5k strong! Isn't is a great feeling crossing the finish line knowing that not only did you just run 3.1 miles but because all the training up to that point was worth it? It's the best.

My 5k today was good too. I wasn't running it for time as it was a Color Run 5k so I wanted to stop and get pelted with the chalk powder but I still finished in 31 minutes. I was really surprised at my time as I hadn't run all week and my heat was pretty large so the first chunk of the course was slow going as the group started to thin out a bit. The weather was gorgeous though!

Hope everyone has a great week!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post

My 5k today was good too. I wasn't running it for time as it was a Color Run 5k so I wanted to stop and get pelted with the chalk powder but I still finished in 31 minutes. I was really surprised at my time as I hadn't run all week and my heat was pretty large so the first chunk of the course was slow going as the group started to thin out a bit. The weather was gorgeous though!

Hope everyone has a great week!
    Did you run the Color Me Cortland 5K? That was the race I did in April. I wanted to run the Color Run in Rochester in early May; but Kourtney had a softball tournament in Herkimer County.

That race was my 3rd race since September. I started training last July with the 5K app for a benefit run for a local teacher/friend in Lansing who had brain cancer (she died recently). The 2nd race was the Shamrock Run in Syracuse which was 4 miles. I'd love to do a Disney run some day --- that is my goal.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxFan View Post
    Did you run the Color Me Cortland 5K? That was the race I did in April. I wanted to run the Color Run in Rochester in early May; but Kourtney had a softball tournament in Herkimer County.

That race was my 3rd race since September. I started training last July with the 5K app for a benefit run for a local teacher/friend in Lansing who had brain cancer (she died recently). The 2nd race was the Shamrock Run in Syracuse which was 4 miles. I'd love to do a Disney run some day --- that is my goal.
    I did the Color Splash Run for the 4H. It was along the waterfront train at Stewart Park. I was hoping to do the Twilight 5K in June but I will be out of town. Let me know any time you want to do a local race, I'm in!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I did the Color Splash Run for the 4H. It was along the waterfront train at Stewart Park. I was hoping to do the Twilight 5K in June but I will be out of town. Let me know any time you want to do a local race, I'm in!
    Yes, a friend of mine wanted us to run that color splash race; but we too late to sign up. I thought about the Twilight race, but no headphones are allowed. I might do the Lighthouse Run at Myers Park in Lansing in August. That benefits the Lansing track team (DD16 goes to Lansing). In the meantime, I will just keep running with the dog or on the treadmill.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

WDW Marathon Weekend Training – Weeks 9,10 & 11
    Can’t believe it has been 3 weeks since the last update. I’ve been super busy and so much has happened.

So three weeks ago I went to see the Physio about my sore knees. The Physio was super nice and has been really helpful. My problems seem to be related to tight IT bands and weak glutes. A pretty common problem for new runners. The Physio ordered a week off running, and prescribed some strengthening exercises together with... the dreaded foam roller. She also went to town with some deep massaging to loosen up my ITBs.

During my no running week I went to the local pool to do some swimming, which I really enjoyed. I’m hoping as my training continues that I can keep going to the pool for cross training (time permitting).

After a week and a half I was able to do some short (20 min) runs using 1:1 run walk intervals, and built up to a 30 min continuous run the following week. All good and no knee pain, so the stretches, strength exercises and foam roller seem to be doing the trick.

While I was unable to run I picked up a copy of one of Jeff Galloway’s running books, which was really interesting and had lots of good info for beginner / novice runners like me. According to his philosophy, I have been running my long training runs way too fast. (Maybe this contributed to my injury?). I’m now building up my distances again and trying to slow things down, although it’s harder than you’d think to slow down your running. I’ve dropped down from a 2:1 run/walk to a 1:1 run/walk. I managed 8km on Sat and felt strong at the end. Although I must admit I probably still ran this a bit fast – 6:40min/km.

It has been frustrating having to reduce my mileage and work back up again, but things seem to be heading in the right direction. Originally I was hoping to do the Run Melbourne ½ Marathon at the end of July, but I might not be up to that distance by then. If not, I’ll enter for the 10km. We’ll see how it goes – my main priority is to build up my core strength and endurance without injury, so I don’t want to push things.

Trip Planning
    On the planning front, we have now booked our race weekend accommodation at Port Orleans Riverside. I stayed there for the first time in 2012 and loved it. A really relaxing resort, so I’m looking forward to having it as base camp for Marathon weekend!

That’s it for this week!
    Michael ºoº

• Oct '12 Port Orleans Riverside
    • Aug '11 Disneyland (D23 Expo) / WDW Pop Century
    • Apr '10 Pop Century
    • Sept '09 Disneyland (D23 Expo)
    • Oct '08 Pop Century
    • March 2007 - Pop Century
    • Nov 2003 - All Star Movies - Honeymoon
    • Nov 2001 - All Star Movies
    • Nov 2000 - Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

We have really been slacking since our race! The main reason is because DH had a bit of a health scare. He had a pain in his upper right abdomen area. After many tests and doctors appointments, he (thankfully) only had some inflamed spots in his stomach. We hope to get back into the swing of things soon!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've checked in! I'm so impressed by the phenomenal work so many people are doing - RunDisney really is an incredible motivator to get healthy. I wish I'd only discovered this sooner!

Anyway, I have 3 races under my belt since starting running in January - a 5k in March, Color me Rad in April and just last week I did the Race in the Park for breast cancer research. I love that running these is giving me even more opportunities to give back. Also, since last I reported, I have changed my training and have been focusing on doing a 5k 3x per week so I am ready to start my half marathon training asap.

I WAS planning to start half training this week, but my foot has been bothering me so I went to the doctor and lo and behold - plantar fascitis. I'm hoping some of you may be able to offer me suggestions on training with this problem without making it worse. I need to focus more on being able to run the 1/2 then on keeping to my current routine, but for some reason am having a bit of a mental block about slowing down my training. I'm afraid if I slow down, I won't ever pick it back up or worse, might stop being motivated at all!''

Keep up all the awesome work. You're all amazing!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    Also, since last I reported, I have changed my training and have been focusing on doing a 5k 3x per week so I am ready to start my half marathon training asap.

I WAS planning to start half training this week, but my foot has been bothering me so I went to the doctor and lo and behold - plantar fascitis. I'm hoping some of you may be able to offer me suggestions on training with this problem without making it worse. I need to focus more on being able to run the 1/2 then on keeping to my current routine, but for some reason am having a bit of a mental block about slowing down my training. I'm afraid if I slow down, I won't ever pick it back up or worse, might stop being motivated at all!''

Keep up all the awesome work. You're all amazing!!
    You are doing great. I am pretty new to running (began running Feb 25, 2011), but I have put in a lot of miles and overcome injuries and pain.

I am in no way a trainer, so I am just throwing this out there. Something I have to be careful with is pushing my pace when I am working on adding miles. I do myself no favors by trying to increase my pace before I am ready. So again this is 'for me', if I am not fully recovered (read feeling pain or discomfort) slowing down, running comfortably with a short stride and maintaining control throughout the entire run (I tend to push it at the end) helps me when I am trying to get the kinks out.

Are you being treated by a doctor of sports medicine? Someone who is trying to help you get back to your sport? Do NOT be afraid to slow down your training if you need to. It is ok and you will get back in it. You have plenty of time. Basically, don't overdo to a point where your body forces you to back off. (And by the way, if that happens, that will be ok, too - it may just take longer to recover)
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys! Just saying hello and that I'm proud of everyone's hard work out there! I just wanted to share that I have NEVER been a runner in my life but I'm getting myself all geared up for Family Fun Run 5K during #runICOT in January. I've been sorta training (not 3 times a week...maybe 1-2 times) the last few weeks but I'm all proud of myself for passing the 4K mark this past week without keeling over in exhaustion! Mind you I'm pretty red-faced for awhile afterwards but still! Took me just over half an hour doing the walk-run drills using the C25K app and also the Zombie 5K app (I'm a little Walking Dead obsessed!). I find the hardest part is getting my butt up off the couch and going out to do it. Once I do it, it's no problem. It's just the mental head game of getting up and at 'em. Fortunately the #runICOT event seems to be inspiring me enough to do it. Anyways, just wanted to share! Hope you're all doing well!!

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to everyone - keep it up! The rewards are so worth the efforts!

I'm going to toot my own horn for a second here and let everyone know I knocked over 7 minutes off my PR this past weekend in my 3rd 1/2 marathon.

I have a question though - has anyone transitioned from 1/2 marathons to full and what was the most difficult thing to overcome? I think I would like to start considering a full and looking for a little advise.

Rock on!
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Well my training continues for the Disneyland Half. Sunday was my longest run yet. Using the run-walk-run method I ran 7.6 miles in an hour and thirty-two minutes - which works out to about a 12:15 minute mile. The training schedule was to run 6.5 but when I got to that point I was at the far end of the park I was running at and decided to just continue as I was going to get back to where I parked. I felt really good about it. While I was glad to stop, I didn't feel like I HAD to.

I'm not getting as much encouragement and suport as I had hoped from my family. My sisters are also training for the DL Half and I've been checking in with them letting them know my progress - honestly because I'm proud of myself and I was REALLY concerned I wasn't able to do the 6.5 this weekend. The fact that I had was both surprising and gratifying for me. I was informed by them that they felt that I was rubbing it in and that they felt I was working harder than I had to just to show them up. That really hurt. Now I feel like I can't share my accomplishments (and maybe only my defeats) with them. It's really a bummer and kind of ticks me off.

But, I'm still really proud (and surprised!) but what I was able to do. I figured I'd toot my own horn here.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Well my training continues for the Disneyland Half. Sunday was my longest run yet. Using the run-walk-run method I ran 7.6 miles in an hour and thirty-two minutes - which works out to about a 12:15 minute mile. The training schedule was to run 6.5 but when I got to that point I was at the far end of the park I was running at and decided to just continue as I was going to get back to where I parked. I felt really good about it. While I was glad to stop, I didn't feel like I HAD to.

I'm not getting as much encouragement and suport as I had hoped from my family. My sisters are also training for the DL Half and I've been checking in with them letting them know my progress - honestly because I'm proud of myself and I was REALLY concerned I wasn't able to do the 6.5 this weekend. The fact that I had was both surprising and gratifying for me. I was informed by them that they felt that I was rubbing it in and that they felt I was working harder than I had to just to show them up. That really hurt. Now I feel like I can't share my accomplishments (and maybe only my defeats) with them. It's really a bummer and kind of ticks me off.

But, I'm still really proud (and surprised!) but what I was able to do. I figured I'd toot my own horn here.
    Yes, this happens. My best advice is to be very selective with whom you share your accomplishments. I know you said that they are training, but your victory this weekend may be shining a light on what they are not being able to do. "My sister can do it, so why can't I?" Well, you are working harder or willing to give more....but that is a difficult place to go for them. It is easier to talk down the person who is having the success. And maybe they are completely able to get the 7.6, but they will only do the minimum. The paper says 6.5, I will only do 6.5.

I lost 25% of my body weight a couple of years ago. So, people saw that, and instead of being excited or encouraging, they said things like "You're losing too much." Hardly a compliment, but deep down it was easier for them to say something negative, than it was for them to face the fact that they could achieve it, too if they were willing to do the work. Another one that I heard was, "I could never get up at _____." Ok, well, maybe, but we are all given the same 24 hours everyday and everyone makes decisions about how to spend their hours.

So, you just keep on working on it and you will get there...and so proud of your 7.6! Don't let anyone steal your joy!
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conan617 View Post
    Congrats to everyone - keep it up! The rewards are so worth the efforts!

I'm going to toot my own horn for a second here and let everyone know I knocked over 7 minutes off my PR this past weekend in my 3rd 1/2 marathon.

I have a question though - has anyone transitioned from 1/2 marathons to full and what was the most difficult thing to overcome? I think I would like to start considering a full and looking for a little advise.

Rock on!
    Well, you just kind of 'do' it. I never made a transition. I have never competed in a half. I ran the distance for training, but my timed races were a 10K and then a full. Congratulations on your new PR! That is awesome!

I am looking back at my run history. I ran my first 13.1 on 09/03/12 and then ran a bunch of 4's and 5' s (looks like I was recovering) then I ran another 13.1 on 10/13/12 then more 3's, 4's, 5's - then on 11/03/12 was when I ran 20. Then small #'s and by the end of nov, we did back to back 8's (2 days in a row). In December, it was a lot of tapering. Now that I look at it not much running at all in Dec. Then the marathon on 01/13/13! My goal for the marathon was to finish and have a good post race experience (recover quickly).

My husband and I work with a trainer, so I just do what he says - but that is what we did.

A lot of our longer runs were on a local trail that we were pretty new to. The funny thing was that when we got past the finish line of the marathon, my husband says to me "I have something to tell you." (What could he possibly have to tell me???) So he tells me that we had read the trail wrong and the day we were supposed to do 20 and felt so great that we had done 20 - it was only 16. He had to tell me because he felt like he was keeping something from me, but he knew I was counting on that past training experience to mentally get me through - so for us we just kind of made the leap from 13.1 to 16 to 26.2! It makes me a little sick to think about it now.

Make sure you are taking in calories every 45 min. Gel shots or gu or sports beans or whatever calorie replacement works for you (try them and find your fav) and drink your water faithfully. If you really sweat - you will want to think about replacing electrolytes as well. My trainer told me that for my goal it was all about managing the race - not starting out too fast and then burning up and losing time recovering because I went too hard early on. It sounds to me like you are very experienced runner and you will not have any problems making the transition to the full.

My muscles did really well (they did not cramp up on me or anything) I was surprised at how painful the run was on the bottom of my feet (but then again - I was real slow, so they took quite a pounding!)

Another thing we have done that works well is an ice bath following your marathon. It really helps with recovery - if you can get past the cold.

Hope this helps a little. I am no trainer and I still consider myself a beginner runner, but this was my experience.

Good luck!!!
    Carrie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of the wheelchair guys so the numbers aren't really 1:1 translate-able to running, but...

Getting back into some summer training, about an hour each day and more on the weekends. Last weekend a 16 mile out with a 3,100 ft vertical climb and then the 16 back for a total of 32 miles. Slept good that night! Doing the same thing twice this upcoming weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't run for a long time. I have had a combo of Plantar Fascitis and illness. I have continued walking though, and bike riding.

My foot is doing better after 2 weeks of not running, so I am going to try to get back into it in the next few days.

In the meantime, I've been doing some strength training exercises so hopefully, I'll feel stronger when I get back into the running.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Booked our 1st DVC stay at OKW for the #runicot. Booked our flights. Now to get back to training. I slacked off since our Disneyland trip in April/May. Now to get serious. Only 7 months to go so now begins the real training. Looking forward to seeing all of you there.
    Justin and Dawn (tiggerears)

Next Trip:

AoA For Star Wars Rival Run Weekend 4/4-4/7/19

Post Thanks / Like

Default First 5K

I completed my first 5K Saturday. It was the Dirty Girl Mud Run for breast cancer. They put muddy obstacles (12 in total) through the course. I did the Galloway between the obstacles.

I know I can do it.

Cardio Kickboxing has been a life-saver. You guys will not recognize me when you see me. I've lost 35 lbs so far. The Cardio kickboxing does something a bit like Galloway once you're warmed up.... 3 minutes of boxing/kicking bag and 30 seconds learning the next exercise. They mix it up and some days work on core, some days legs, then there's the butt days.

It can be done!
    Then: #runICOT 1/16
    GC Disneyland 10/15
    #runICOT 1/15
    OKW 7/14
    BWV #runICOT 1/14
    VBR and BCV 7/13
    AoA 10/12 iCOT 15th!
    VBR, OKW, Magic, & AKL 5/12
    BCV, BLT, Dream 8/11
    BWV 9/09
    AKV & DCL Magic 5/09