Quantcast RFID - Getting Annoying - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Granted, the room key part of all this IS cool, but not new technology by any means.
    So true, we had RFID card access to the residence halls when I was in college 10 years ago.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FLKatie912 View Post
    For now you will have the paper tickets, but eventually the goal is to have all RFID.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    At this time, MyMagic+ is only available to those with WDW Resort Reservations. I believe they plan to extend it to anyone who enters the parks eventually, but I don't think they will get to that point until the entire Resort is "online" as far as at least the resort guests go. This process is being rolled out in phases. Offsite park guests are the last priority on the totem pole, for now.

Right now (and for the past couple of weeks,) any Magic Your Way tickets can be "traded-in" (exchanged) at any ticket booth or Guest Relations at the parks, TTC, or DTD, at no charge... for the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

All MYW tickets now purchased at the WDW gates will be the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

On-site guest's tickets, off-site guest's tickets, tickets purchased from authorized Disney re-sellers... any Magic Your Way ticket will now be issued (or can be RE-issued) as the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonLefNY View Post
    Yep, the change over starts tomorrow (3/20/13) from what I heard. It is supposed to done at the Odyssey Center (near first aid). You'll need a photo ID and the AP/PAP to get it converted.
    Awesome! I'm going over for a day sometime next week [live 45 minutes away]. So just go to Odyssey at EPCOT and hopefully all should go well? I have an AP
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Right now (and for the past couple of weeks,) any Magic Your Way tickets can be "traded-in" (exchanged) at any ticket booth or Guest Relations at the parks, TTC, or DTD, at no charge... for the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

All MYW tickets now purchased at the WDW gates will be the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

On-site guest's tickets, off-site guest's tickets, tickets purchased from authorized Disney re-sellers... any Magic Your Way ticket will now be issued (or can be RE-issued) as the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.
    Thanks for clarifying!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default no magnet problems?

We always have multiple instances of ticket failure due to magnetic "erasures" . I believe this will not happen with the RFID. They will probably have their own foibles.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Here now. I have an RFID enabled card and it worked on day one at the RFID gates but not since then. It works at the regular old school gates just fine (basically just at the International Gateway at Epcot), but I need someone to swipe my card at the new RFID ones (every park entrance other than International Gateway). My husband's works just fine. So there are RFID card glitches, too.

They keep telling me it's my finger/my problem at the gate, that I'm using the wrong finger-- until I am ready to show them the "right finger" and a supervisor comes to swipe me in. Even with the RFID you still need to do the dang finger thing.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Even with the RFID you still need to do the dang finger thing.
    If not, what would stop a guest from selling his last 3 days of a 10 day ticket to a scalper?

Or, what would prevent 6 different guests (with different travel times) sharing a single AP?

Post Thanks / Like

Passholders - Now through May 19th, you can stop by the Odyssey Center at Epcot during regular Park hours to exchange your current Pass for a new Passholder card that will allow you to use the new touch-to-enter feature at the main entrance...s. (HINT: The best times to visit are Monday through Friday after 12pm). For more information: http://di.sn/t3A (Please note link is not viewable on tablet device.)

My Nephew sent me this the other day ...
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    If not, what would stop a guest from selling his last 3 days of a 10 day ticket to a scalper?

Or, what would prevent 6 different guests (with different travel times) sharing a single AP?
    I don't think the RFID is as easy to scalp as a traditional ticket. I could be wrong. But, besides, does the finger scan REALLY stop someone from entering with another's ticket? I've had the finger scan malfunction and have not had to show ID. Like in Sherri's experience, all you have to do is show a sign that you are getting frustrated/upset and they typically let you go. In fact the only time I've ever had to show ID was actually in Disneyland, when we didn't realize we had to get a stamp for re-entry with a park hopper pass. Never been asked for ID at the gate at WDW.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post

1- I don't think the RFID is as easy to scalp as a traditional ticket. I could be wrong.

2- But, besides, does the finger scan REALLY stop someone from entering with another's ticket?

3- I've had the finger scan malfunction and have not had to show ID.

4-Like in Sherri's experience, all you have to do is show a sign that you are getting frustrated/upset and they typically let you go. In fact the only time I've ever had to show ID was actually in Disneyland, when we didn't realize we had to get a stamp for re-entry with a park hopper pass.

5- Never been asked for ID at the gate at WDW.
    1- A physical ticket is a physical ticket.

2- That's what it's for.
    Like anything else, it can work better or worse in various cases.

3 & 4 & 5- There are multiple cases where ID was required.
    Like anything else, it can happen or not in various cases.
    I have some CM friends in ticketing/GR who have some sad stories of parents trying to explain why they can't get into WDW due to scalped tickets being detected and confiscated.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the finger scan except when they make you do it twenty times and it's clearly not working. "Try another finger. Try another finger. Try your thumb." So frustrating. I did find the old school entry at all of the parks now (was in all four parks yesterday, thank goodness for hoppers because crowds were not where they were supposed to be according to another popular site). My ticket works fine through the old school gates, keeps not working at the RFID gates after working fine on day one. Lines to get into parks have not been frustrating or exceptionally long, though. No extra frustrating waits to get in. Just the usual.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LVT View Post
    We always have multiple instances of ticket failure due to magnetic "erasures" . I believe this will not happen with the RFID. They will probably have their own foibles.
    Generally with the legacy turnstiles it is not "erasures", it is generally just dirty. That is why you will see some CM's rub it briskly on their shirt and then try it again.

With RFID we still have a lot of the same issues as we do with legacy ticketing but now we nor the Guest Services CM's can "fix" the ticket like we could do with the legacy ticketing.

In response to some of those that have questions about biometric scanning. Main "ID fails" issues (not necessarily in order):

* not using your own ticket-it does know the difference
    * not using the same finger as ticket was originally tagged with
    * putting too much pressure on the platen - just lay it there-don't press down
    * finger rolled slightly on edge-happens a LOT
    * finger not lined up properly- has to be straight in not angled-happens a LOT
    * finger not pushed forward enough- push it all the way up to the metal
    * place long fingernails on the metal part so finger is on glass
    * lay the whole finger on the glass FLAT not just the finger tip with the finger arched up

Sometimes nothing more complicated than the computer system is processing so much data across all the turnstiles that it needs a momentary break and someone might have to retry their biometrics.

These will effect both the old and new scanners although after working the new entries a lot, I "think" they may have a higher resolution scanner than the old. Not sure but it just feels that way to me. We used to be able to "retag" a ticket if "necessary" at the turnstiles but no longer. If the "ID Fails", we have to try 2 more times and if it still fails, guest has to go to the Guest Services CM for ticket validation, but they can't fix the ticket, only validate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Generally with the legacy turnstiles it is not "erasures", it is generally just dirty. That is why you will see some CM's rub it briskly on their shirt and then try it again.

With RFID we still have a lot of the same issues as we do with legacy ticketing but now we nor the Guest Services CM's can "fix" the ticket like we could do with the legacy ticketing.

In response to some of those that have questions about biometric scanning. Main "ID fails" issues (not necessarily in order):

* not using your own ticket-it does know the difference
    * not using the same finger as ticket was originally tagged with
    * putting too much pressure on the platen - just lay it there-don't press down
    * finger rolled slightly on edge-happens a LOT
    * finger not lined up properly- has to be straight in not angled-happens a LOT
    * finger not pushed forward enough- push it all the way up to the metal
    * place long fingernails on the metal part so finger is on glass
    * lay the whole finger on the glass FLAT not just the finger tip with the finger arched up

Sometimes nothing more complicated than the computer system is processing so much data across all the turnstiles that it needs a momentary break and someone might have to retry their biometrics.

These will effect both the old and new scanners although after working the new entries a lot, I "think" they may have a higher resolution scanner than the old. Not sure but it just feels that way to me. We used to be able to "retag" a ticket if "necessary" at the turnstiles but no longer. If the "ID Fails", we have to try 2 more times and if it still fails, guest has to go to the Guest Services CM for ticket validation, but they can't fix the ticket, only validate it.
    This all makes sense. Again, my husband and I bought our tickets at the same place, same time. His works in the RFID turnstiles. Mine does not. It could be human error (I am putting in my finger print wrong somehow) or something else. After a few tries at Epcot today, I was told that it happens now and then and a CM scanned me in, but said they couldn't fix it at the gate. It's my last day in parks, so I did not care to get it fixed elsewhere. But apparently, glitches will happen whatever the technology.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

So should we buy tickets and put them on our room key as usual? Or buy them separately? Which is better? Also, my parents have APs. We usually go in together. Will their line be longer?

We go in one week.
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casey@bat View Post

1- So should we buy tickets and put them on our room key as usual? Or buy them separately? Which is better?

Also, my parents have APs. We usually go in together. Will their line be longer?

We go in one week.
    1- Doesn't matter.

2- Your parents can trade their AP's for RFID AP's at the Odyssey (former) Restaurant in Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

Is there anywhere else for APs to be traded for RFID? We aren't going to EPCOT until our 4th day there.
    1973 FW(in mom's womb)1974-1994 too many! FW1997,1998, 2000 WL Jan.2001, CS June 2001, FW 2002, 2004, July 2005-No Kids!, CS Nov 2005 Free Lady Emily Trip, AM May 2006, FW Dec-Jan 2006-2007, FW June 2009, House off site 2012, FW Spring Break 2013, FW Spring Break 2016, Staybridge 2018 No kids! AP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bethian View Post
    I think I'm in the slow group as well ... my question is this. We are staying on property, but recently purchased our park tix through the official ticket center so they are completely unrelated to our resort room cards. How do they get merged, or am I missing something completely.

Can they do this at the resort when we check in??
    Yes, or at the resort's concierge desk.
    (That is assuming that the CM's there at that time are willing to do it, or know how to do it.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by casey@bat View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Is there anywhere else for APs to be traded for RFID? We aren't going to EPCOT until our 4th day there.
    Not being indicated at this time.
    But, there's a possibility that during this change-over period ending May 19,
    certain of the ticket booths and Guest Relations at all of the parks and DTD
    (and eventually ALL of them) will be getting
    the proper supplies to issue RFID AP's.

You can certainly go up to any of those locations and ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little dense here, so could someone smarter than me clear something up?
    So kid's will be expected to do the biometric scan every time as well to get in?
    I did just exchange my APs for the Plastic and it was a heck of time to get my ASD son to even do the scan. He can get really irritable with things like that are new or having to interact much. There are many times he just hides in the stroller to avoid looking at anyone.
    Aside from that, I do love the easy tap AND a more stable ticket than a piece of paper!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: