Quantcast RFID - Getting Annoying

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down RFID - Getting Annoying

So, if you buy a package through Disney, your park passes are RFID enabled. If you purchase AP's (which we have) or from any other vendor (such as AAA), your paper ticket isn't RFID enabled, correct?

Well here's my problem with this...
    Getting into the parks is a major hassle!!! Unless your ticket is an RFID ticket. RFID kiosks now occupy about 1/2 the turnstiles. And they're building more and more RFID.
    So those of us with AP's are stuck in ridiculously slow moving huge lines!!! At DHS this morning (2/17) the paper ticket line extended way past the bag check, going 1/2 way to the bus stop!!! While RFID line was non-existent!!!
    Implement the RFID, fine, but with all tkts! I feel like AP holders are being penalized!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be nice for you guys if they had a few line for those with the annual passes like when they have early hours for resort guests and they move you to special lines to get in the parks before the other guests. They could also make some of the RFDI points where they will accept either card.

But that makes sense so we know that will not happen...
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I'm staying at the Dolphin in March and I was just wondering how this was going to work. I won't have the RFID not staying at a Disney resort, I suppose, so I guess it's longer lines for me. But what about Fastpass? Is it the same or will I be missing out?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    So, if you buy a package through Disney, your park passes are RFID enabled. If you purchase AP's (which we have) or from any other vendor (such as AAA), your paper ticket isn't RFID enabled, correct?

Well here's my problem with this...
    Getting into the parks is a major hassle!!! Unless your ticket is an RFID ticket. RFID kiosks now occupy about 1/2 the turnstiles. And they're building more and more RFID.
    So those of us with AP's are stuck in ridiculously slow moving huge lines!!! At DHS this morning (2/17) the paper ticket line extended way past the bag check, going 1/2 way to the bus stop!!! While RFID line was non-existent!!!

Implement the RFID, fine, but with all tkts! I feel like AP holders are being penalized!
    Are you sure that you can't exchange your "paper" AP for a new RFID enabled AP plastic ticket at Guest Relations?

They just started distributing/trading/selling the new RFID tickets a week ago.
    Don't know if these can be AP's or not (but I don't see why not.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Are you sure that you can't exchange your "paper" AP for a new RFID enabled AP plastic ticket at Guest Relations?

They just started distributing/trading/selling the new RFID tickets a week ago.
    Don't know if these can be AP's or not (but I don't see why not.)
    No, right now, the system is still in "testing" or phase 1 of the roll out. Only select guests are being given RFID tickets.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I'm staying at the Dolphin in March and I was just wondering how this was going to work. I won't have the RFID not staying at a Disney resort, I suppose, so I guess it's longer lines for me. But what about Fastpass? Is it the same or will I be missing out?
    Fastpass is still the same... for now... Fastpass+ hasn't been rolled out yet...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked if AP holders could get a plastic card ticket. I was told no. That when ap holders lose their cards or they become deactivated due to mobile phones or whatever reason, they are able to reprint it for free since it's on paper. If they went plastic they'd had to charge for reprints.

My family has had to have an AP reprinted maybe twice a year. MAYBE. Usually bc the paper is so worn from use.
    If guests at hotels lose their keys, or it becomes inactivated , that would be two reprints in a week & They aren't charged.

I'm not buying that.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    No, right now, the system is still in "testing" or phase 1 of the roll out. Only select guests are being given RFID tickets.
    Sorry, but that's dated info.
    All guests can trade their tix at the parks' GR for RFID tix. I just don't know about AP'S yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysBestPal View Post
    Sorry, but that's dated info. All guests can trade their tix at the parks' GR for RFID tix. I just don't know about AP'S yet.
    Still no on APs. Supposedly within a month or two APs will be switched over to the wristbands but for now it's just the paper ticket. All other guests, as of 2 weeks ago, now have the RFID tickets.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I asked if AP holders could get a plastic card ticket.

1- I was told no.

That when ap holders lose their cards or they become deactivated due to mobile phones or whatever reason, they are able to reprint it for free since it's on paper. If they went plastic they'd had to charge for reprints.

My family has had to have an AP reprinted maybe twice a year. MAYBE. Usually bc the paper is so worn from use.
    If guests at hotels lose their keys, or it becomes inactivated , that would be two reprints in a week & They aren't charged.

2- I'm not buying that.
    1- Sounds like that part is still true.

2-Good, because the reasons offered are simply not true.

Post Thanks / Like

Bar code tickets can be "hand scanned" at V Entries depending on the length of lines at rotating turnstiles and the coordinator for the V Entries on duty (some resetting of the hand helds has to be done to read them correctly).

If lines get long, sometimes guests are directed to the V Entries, at least at MK, unless it's changed in the last 3 weeks or so.

Post Thanks / Like

I brought this up to a guest relations manager at Epcot in January, and from his response, I know I wasn't the only one. He basically said that there wasn't anything he could do except pass on my complaint. So annoying. As AP holders we shouldn't be punished with longer lines to get in just because they didn't stop to think about the ramifications this 'improvement' would have on us!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We just got back...

We just got back from WDW and the park entry was confusing a lot of people. They had Cast Members telling you which line to get in but a lot of people got into the wrong line anyway. The CMs at the turnstiles kept trying to explain it, but if the person holding a paper ticket got belligerent or seemed to not understand, they sent them to a person with a handheld scanner who let them in.
    I'm not really sure what they are trying to accomplish, but it was mass confusion, and we go at an extremely slow time (at least - until the cheerleaders got there!
    What I didn't like was trying to buy things and charge them to the room card and having to remember the PIN. (But then again, I don't like change).
    All of that being said, I think AP people should get a plastic card regardless. Seems like it would hold up better.
    2006 - WL 2007 - WL
    2008 - WL 2009 - WL
    2010 - BC
    2010 (fall) - CBR
    2011 - DCL and FW Cabin
    2011 (fall) - WL
    2012 - BC (suprise upgrade to Club Level!)
    2013 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I am slow, but what is RFID? I always stay on property, will this be affecting me?
    April 6-9 2006 Pop Century
    July 5-11 2007 Pop Century
    September 20-25th 2009 Pop Century
    June10-June 16 2012 Pop Century
    September 5-15 2013 Pop Century Disneymoon
    August 10-20th 2016 Pop Century (Daughter's first trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASweetLov View Post
    Maybe I am slow, but what is RFID? I always stay on property, will this be affecting me?
    RFID is a "chip" embedded in the room key with your data programmed on it.

Basically, yes. All Disney resorts should now be completely changed over ( I think it actually was complete a couple of weeks ago) to "chipped" (RFID) door locks. Your room key will have an RFID chip in it and will just have to be held near the lock rather than being inserted. Some pool areas also have RFID readers on the fence gates.

As to whether it will affect you at park entry, it will depend on whether you have your park tickets added to your room key or not. If you do, you will be going in the V Entries instead of the mechanical rotation turnstiles at each park. Similar entry, scan your card, biometric finger scan but no rotating turnstile. Ticket info will be stored on the chip instead of the magnetic striping of the ticket.

RFID does a lot of other things also, but this is just a small overview.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASweetLov View Post
    It's radio frequency identification. Basically a little radio chip is embedded in your Key to the World card. Yes, it will affect you on property. Instead of swiping your card to get into your room you now just tap the key on the lock. Same thing to get into the parks - you tap your card on the device instead of it being run through the machine. That's how you will pay, get your fastpasses, and everything. RFID will be built into pretty much everything at WDW within the next few months.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

No need to "tap" the card on the lock or the readers, just wave it within an inch or so (recommended but it will actually read it a lot farther away) and it will read it.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the questions have already been answered. FP is, for the moment, exactly the same. There were SOME hand scanners at this morning's park entry (DHS), but it was still a zoo (we were in line at 8:15 for a 9:00 opening). I know this is a transitional phase, I get it. But it sure isn't a very smooth transitional phase. And problem is, NO ONE has any answers to my questions or responses to the complaints (I wasn't complaining, but the people around me sure were!).

By the way, it didn't help that it was 39 degrees Fahrenheit at that time this morning!!!!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW: by the end of the year or first part of 2014, varies by park, all entries should be fully (and completely) operational with the new chipped tickets.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm in the slow group as well ... my question is this. We are staying on property, but recently purchased our park tix through the official ticket center so they are completely unrelated to our resort room cards. How do they get merged, or am I missing something completely. Can they do this at the resort when we check in??

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: