Quantcast International drivers license for Florida

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default International drivers license for Florida

I can't believe what I just heard on the news...the State of Florida is requiring Canadians to get an International drivers license to be able to drive in Florida. I can drive in every other state except Florida Funny thing is that I am from the US, I learned to drive in the US and now that I live in Canada I need to buy a special license to drive in just one state. I think when we are on vacation, we spend enough money to help out a state that needs the money without needing a drivers license for that state. End of rant.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    Dec. 07--Wilderness Lodge,
    May 06--Grand Floridian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That's to help cut back on the slow Canadian drivers that get in our way.
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post

I lived in Tampa for 3 years and never once recall thinking "Boy, that car with the Ontario plates sure is slow. Wish he'd get out of my way."

This is interesting though. What were the official reasons given?

ETA: I see now that officials are trying to get Canadians exempt. So this is for all international drivers?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Disney is behind this as a way to get and keep people on property, just like ME.

Seriously, having done my share of driving in Florida, the large portion of tourist drivers really is a problem. People just don't know where they are going. If this cuts down on some of the dangerous behavior I've seen, good for them. There shouldn't be any exceptions though, if that's the case. In fact, targeting out of state drivers wouldn't be so bad, especially those Vermont drivers.. You know what I'm talking about if you've ever been behind one.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't a license, it's a permit. All you need to do it go to CAA and purchase one for about $25. You will not need to be retested etc. It's more of a translation of your legal driver's license into many languages, so that it can be read and understood by international authorities if needed. It is not a training related document.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Seriously, having done my share of driving in Florida, the large portion of tourist drivers really is a problem. People just don't know where they are going. If this cuts down on some of the dangerous behavior I've seen, good for them. There shouldn't be any exceptions though, if that's the case. In fact, targeting out of state drivers wouldn't be so bad, especially those Vermont drivers.. You know what I'm talking about if you've ever been behind one.
    As someone who lives in and so drives in FL everyday..the amount of tourist drivers is a real problem here. I understand that I live in a state that depends on tourist dollars, however I don't think that asking them to have a DL that is easier for law enforcement to read/track/get info from if needed is unreasonable. No matter where they are from.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    As someone who lives in and so drives in FL everyday..the amount of tourist drivers is a real problem here. I understand that I live in a state that depends on tourist dollars, however I don't think that asking them to have a DL that is easier for law enforcement to read/track/get info from if needed is unreasonable. No matter where they are from.
    I agree ... AND it's not like the fee is going to Florida, it is paid to the juristiction of issue.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they get the exception sorted out ASAP.

Although I agree with it for non-english liscenses, it seems like a crazy extra step for an english drivers liscence that is "good enough" for every other state!

Oh well, another jurisdiction can do what they want, and we have to follow their rules.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Just talking to my parents who winter in Florida, they and everyone the know knew nothing about this. After a bit of digging they found that there is a grace period until the State looks into exceptions some time in March. It is definitely something to do with non-English language permits.

Quote Originally Posted by kbean View Post
    You obviously haven't seen them drive back home!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the same International Driver's permit that is accepted in other countries? My husband just had to get one to be able to drive in France for our vacation. I think it's becoming the standard in other countries, but it's interesting that Florida is the first individual state to say they are going to require it. Could be the high number of tourists and snowbirds (from Canada, in particular) prompting the issue.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

There are bad drivers everywhere. Trust me, it's much worse here where I live now as opposed to Florida. Much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    There are bad drivers everywhere. Trust me, it's much worse here where I live now as opposed to Florida. Much.
    I have driven in the DC area Mel...NEVER AGAIN! I have never wanted to close my eyes while driving until I was there.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

This year is the first year we have decided to drive, it's funny how many states I can drive through, but I need I permit for Florida. The $25 for the permit isn't an issue, but is it just the $25 per car or per driver? That could mean $50 for my DH And I, which I could use on my vacation, since we're going other places besides WDW. If Florida doesn't want me driving in their state, I can take my money someplace else. I think California would be more then happy to take it.

Like I said before, I am an American, but because my drivers license is Canadian I need a permit...what is wrong with this picture?

The DH has been studying this and it may be against not only the US Federal law, but also the Geneva convention on international traffic.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    May 06--Grand Floridian

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroleh View Post
    Like I said before, I am an American, but because my drivers license is Canadian I need a permit...what is wrong with this picture?

The DH has been studying this and it may be against not only the US Federal law, but also the Geneva convention on international traffic.
    You don't have an American Drivers license, that's what's wrong. Why does everyone who doesn't live in the USA think they should be entitled to all of our rights and privileges when they are here?
    If you do not have a drivers license that is in our systems that makes you harder to trace if you commit a crime (not saying you are a criminal Carol, just making a point here) or, God forbid, you are a victim of a crime.
    It is not unreasonable in any way and EVERY state should require it if you do not have a US Issued license. Plain and simple...and last I checked, Canada was not a part of the United States, it just borders us...

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

From CBC website:

"The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issued a statement detailing that the new statute may be in violation of the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic and therefore the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section.

The Florida law was passed so police would not be faced with licence documents in languages they could not understand.
    "

It is not a question of the validity of foreign license, it is so Florida law enforcement can read the licence.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire_Girl View Post
    You don't have an American Drivers license, that's what's wrong. Why does everyone who doesn't live in the USA think they should be entitled to all of our rights and privileges when they are here? .
    Just for your information....not everyone that doesn't live in the US thinks that they are entitled to all of your rights and privileges. Personally, I prefer my Canadian rights. BTW, I am an American citizen and I do have all the rights. I lived in the US for most of my life.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

My instinct is that it violates the Full Faith and Credit clause and probably a treaty or two. States can't regulate driving where every state has to give you permision to drive. I am sure being international complicates the law some but the Constitution expressly restricts the States from limiting commerce using border barriers like this.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I imagine this was pushed by the rental care industry and the target was not Canadians.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I imagine this was pushed by the rental care industry and the target was not Canadians.
    The car rental agencies didn't know about it...it was somebody that had a rental car that broke down and a police officer asked for his international license. The guy didn't know what the police officer was talking about and neither did the rental car company. The law took effect on Jan 1 and we're just learning about it now.
    Carol

May 14 ???
    Oct. 13 ???
    Oct. 12 DVC-OKW.
    Feb 12 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Oct. 11 DVC-AKL-Kidani
    Feb. 11 AKL-Jambo
    Feb. 10 POFQ
    Dec. 09 POFQ
    Dec. 08--POFQ
    Oct. 08--POFQ
    May 06--Grand Floridian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroleh View Post
    Just for your information....not everyone that doesn't live in the US thinks that they are entitled to all of your rights and privileges. Personally, I prefer my Canadian rights. BTW, I am an American citizen and I do have all the rights. I lived in the US for most of my life.
    I'm sincerely ignorant here, as I have only lived in the U.S. How does this work? If you live in Canada long enough, don't you have to apply for citizenship there? Who do you pay taxes to? Sorry for sounding nosy--I am truly curious about the answer.

And sorry for going
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: