Quantcast Some people really do not realize that FP are free? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

What's a Fast Pass? JK

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNDisney Dad View Post
    What's a Fast Pass? JK
    Ha ha ha! Good one MN neighbor!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Totally true. Had some friends that went on moderately crowded times of year and they say they only went on 3 or 4 rides per day, and they spent the whole time waiting out in the hot sun. They had no idea Fast Passes even existed! I asked them and they were like, "Yeah what were those ticket things by the rides?". They could easily have gone on most of the rides. I didnt feel too bad for them though. They asked for some recommendations for their Disney vacation, and I sent them links to all my favorite Disney planning sites...they never read them. oh well.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

When we went while I was growing up, we would have been one of those families with no idea what was going on. Dad would plan everything else out but no way would he do research on Disney because "its just a theme park" I actually didn't know that character meals existed until I was in my 20's and planned my first trip (actually doing research!) and he said the resorts were just for the really rich people so "don't even consider them!" I still get mad thinking of all we missed on those trips but I'm happily enjoying my extended childhood IN resorts and eating WITH characters I also try to help out those sitting near us or waiting in line with us that are like Dad and don't have a clue what is going on.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

on our last trip, we had a girl about 9 yrs of age run into the fast pass line ahead of us, her Dad stopped her and took her hand and said No honey that line is for those who think they are better then us and pay to get in front of the line, we have to wait in this line over here. I backed out of line and said " Sir this is a fastpass lane, Yes, But I did not pay anything. I swiped my ticket in that machine over there about an hour ago and it is now time for me to come back and ride. It is a free option and you should try it some time." He turned bright red and apologized. His MIL had told him that was the line for the VIP guides. He just kept saying Im sorry, and thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

It's good that they don't know, that leaves them available for the rest of us. j/k
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    We were in line to get in to Universal a few years ago and a man and his family were in front of us. They presented their Disney Park Hopper tickets. The lady at the turnstyle was telling them I'm sorry sir, these tickets are to Disney, this is Universal. The man just kept saying over and over: "My travel agent said these are good at all the parks!"
    I have seen people try to use Universal Studios tickets at Hollywood Studios and get FURIOUS that they don't work and insisting that Hollywood Studios is were you see Harry Potter.
    When you wish upon a star...You get to go to Disney World
    Katie's Trips to Disney-
    WDW Trips: 245 times
    DL Trips: 4 times

Stopped counting since January 2012 when we moved to "the world"!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE5..._as=subscriber

Post Thanks / Like

Have had people at MK ask me "Where's the Matterhorn...?"

Had a woman ask me once "Where's that big castle?"

And honestly, before I had moved back to Florida and started working for the Mouse, we made a trip down in about '98. FastPasses had just been "invented" and Winnie the Pooh had just opened. This was long before we had Internet and could do any research, even after years of going to the parks as a kid. I said the same thing: "Wow. Those people can afford to skip the line..." before we knew much about how the system worked. :P
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure MS Jim would concur, after you work turnstiles for a year or so you feel you could write a long book about some of the stuff you hear (and have to endure).

I've often said, everyday I work turnstiles makes me question the future of modern humanity as we know it.

With the "old" turnstiles we often had to beg to get people to put their card in the slot. With the new V Entry touch pads, we have to "beg" them not to keep looking for a slot to put their card in. Can't win. Will probably be the same for FP's.

One of the earlier posts about the guy saying about his travel agent saying the tickets were good at all the parks, still happens from time to time, usually just with "out of country" guests though.

Some days are just "grin and bear it days".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    I'm sure MS Jim would concur, after you work turnstiles for a year or so you feel you could write a long book about some of the stuff you hear (and have to endure).

I've often said, everyday I work turnstiles makes me question the future of modern humanity as we know it.

With the "old" turnstiles we often had to beg to get people to put their card in the slot. With the new V Entry touch pads, we have to "beg" them not to keep looking for a slot to put their card in. Can't win. Will probably be the same for FP's.

One of the earlier posts about the guy saying about his travel agent saying the tickets were good at all the parks, still happens from time to time, usually just with "out of country" guests though.

Some days are just "grin and bear it days".
    I kind of wish that I could work at one of the parks just for a week, just to experience some of this. I think that if it hasn't been written, one of you (or a bunch of you) should definitely get together and write a collection of Disney World stories. I would buy it!
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    I kind of wish that I could work at one of the parks just for a week, just to experience some of this. I think that if it hasn't been written, one of you (or a bunch of you) should definitely get together and write a collection of Disney World stories. I would buy it!
    Look for "Mouse Tales", "More Mouse Tales", and "RealityLand". Some *great* CM stories.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

While we were waiting for our ride from AKL to the airport after our WDW honeymoon, we overheard a father and son talking about rides and such. It was obvious they had never been to WDW in the past.

The dad was basically trying to explain to his son that the reason they had to wait so long was because they did not have the "face"pass vip thing. My husband whispered to the dad that the "fast"pass was free and I think my hubby saved the rest of their vacation.

Considering I had done all the research for the trip and basically had to force my hubby to read it, I was so proud he got it. Now he helps others plan their trips!! Without me doing all the research (thanks to Intercot and TGM) I think he would have tried to 'wing it'...

Alot of people dislike the thought of 'planning' a vacation. I had two co-workers 'planning' a WDW trip around Easter last year.

One took my advice and I helped them get reservations to resturants and helped plan their days. They went to the parks that avoided the crowds, and ate breakfast at Cindy's. The other wanted no help, and said they would not plan a vacation, that vacations should be 'plan free'.

Group one had a magical trip with her extended family, including daughter, son-law and granddaughter and said they waited no more than 30 minutes for rides. They used fast passes, took breaks in the early afternoon..everyone listened to grandma!

Group two never returned. I think they are still trying to get into harry potter world from HS...

(Kidding.. the second group complained about hours of lines, and how all the restaurants were already booked, it was too hot in the parks all day, and vowed to never return.)
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

I once overheard a dad telling his son in line at Big Thunder Mountain hat only the rich people in the rich resorts get Fast Passes.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking about making up business cards and just handing it out to people who think you need to pay for fast passes....

Fast Pass is Free.
    No, Really.
    You are welcome.

Too obnoxious?
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    We were in line to get in to Universal a few years ago and a man and his family were in front of us. They presented their Disney Park Hopper tickets. The lady at the turnstyle was telling them I'm sorry sir, these tickets are to Disney, this is Universal. The man just kept saying over and over: "My travel agent said these are good at all the parks!"
    I had to explain this once to my SIL's in laws from Israel. My MIL told them to ask me any questions that they had about their trip. We got fast passes down fine... but then the one child kept insisting that you could park hop to Universal Studios. I realised that they had mixed up DHS and Universal and tried to explain but they were adament. In the end they were relying on Disney's bus service so they ended up in the right place.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonLefNY View Post
    I once overheard a dad telling his son in line at Big Thunder Mountain hat only the rich people in the rich resorts get Fast Passes.
    We've heard this many times, esepcially when the fast pass line is much less crowded! I will turn to people and help them if they seem confused about the system, but in a situation like that it is hard to do anything.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

On our first trip after FP's went into effect, we knew that we would be able to use the system free of charge but was also under the impression that they were perhaps a perk for Resort guests only.

I know now that is not the case, and have learned to use FPs as efficiently as possible by doing some research and trial and error too...

Still, as many people have pointed out here, WDW is a big complex place and it is all to easy first-timers to get overwhelmed at the outset. It may not be all that surprising that newbies do expect to pay for a service like FP - after all, it is an upcharge at any other (non-Disney) park.

I have also been privy to persons giving away FP's at or near a ride's entrance. I suppose that they have had a change in plans and are not able to use their passes, so they make an effort to just give them to some other people rather than let them expire unused!

One can also find "voided" FP's in the dispensing area. I will scoop those up for DD to put in her scrapbook as page fillers.

What really still perplexes me is how some attractions seem to exhaust their FP allocations within mere hours of opening. A recent trip to DLR Space Mountain is a good example. We arrive to get FP's at 9 am-ish and find FP's being dispensed for 11 pm.... seriously?!

What they really need is a designated FP trading spot... we all meet up and horse-trade FP's with one another! That would really stream the "we can't afford FP" crowd - having them see us "VIPs" all gathered around trading them like oh-so-lucrative baseball cards..
    1981- WDW/offsite
    2005 - WDW/Pop Century & PO-Riverside
    2010 - WDW/Pop Century & Coronado Springs
    2012 - DLR/offsite
    2013 - WDW/Pop Century
    2016 - WDW ?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: