Quantcast Thank you - Help me decide :)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Which location is best for my daughter and I?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poly

37 55.22%
  • Grand Floridian

12 17.91%
  • Beach Club

2 2.99%
  • Bay Lake Towers

16 23.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you - Help me decide :)

Thank you for all of your help! I'm going to take my daughter down by ourselves in November. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time! Could you help me decide between the Grand Floridian, Poly, Bay Lake Towers, or the Beach Club? I'd like to stay on the monorail since it will just be myself and her and most of our time will be spent at the Magic Kingdom.

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How old is your daughter? What do you expect from the resort? What do you want to do besides MK?

I went with my DD when she was 5. I was nervous about it and we had a blast staying at AS Sports. She liked being able to go back in the afternoon and play with kids. There is only so much time that she could be with just daddy. Kids need that time to be around other kids.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

She will be 4 when we go. I took her this last October and it was a blast - we stayed at the Caribbean Resort. However, the bus system was great - but getting the stroller on and off was a pain. Thankfully my mother came with us, so she held DD (who often fell asleep regardless of the time while on the bus) while I dealt with the stroller. I figured that it would be best if I stayed on a monorail resort for it to be easier with her and the bags and the stroller, and whatever else we bought while we were there

Rose

Post Thanks / Like

Based on her age I would imagine that you will spend alot of time at MK. I would vote for Bay Lake Tower for the fact that it is a very short walk to MK. This is a really nice option if you plan on going or leave during busy times on the monorail.

We stayed at BLT in November and had a view of the castle and sat on our balcony and watched the fireworks. It was awesome and the kids loved it.

The good thing is that you really can't go wrong with any of the resorts that you listed. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with BLT for the walk to MK. You have control of your own destiny, no need to worry about monorail breakdowns or long lines.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Normally Beach Club is the top of my list but if you want to mainly be at MK and not take a bus, I would take it off your list.

I have never stayed at the Grand Floridian.

Unless walking to MK is very important to you, I would pick the Poly over BLT. You still have the monorail option plus the boat.

I think the Poly is a prettier resort with a lot more atmosphere than BLT. It has great views of the fireworks from the beach. It has Captain Cook's as the quick serve which give you Dole Whips and 24 hour service. It also gives you Ohana and the Kona Cafe as good dining choices.

BLT is very nice but to me reminds me of a high rise condo. It is modern and nice. With the except of the community center ,all of the food options and amenities are in the main building at the Contemporary.

I do think you will be happy at any of the resort. Have fun planning!
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I really wanted to vote for BC, because frankly with a 4 year old, that pool can't be beat. I expect that, weather permitting, you will be spending a lot of time in the pool too. I know you don't want to be on a bus, but honestly, if I was taking my nearly 4 year old niece, that is where we would be.

Having said that, I picked the Poly. It's such a beautiful resort...
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO The only choice with theming that a 4 year old will appreciate is the poly.
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your needs and wants and daughters age, I agree with AgentC on resort. Even though I haven't stayed at either Poly or BLT, we have visited many times and with the info AgentC provided, I personally think that is the way to go, I even agree my normal vote would have been Beach Club, but when reading through your additional post about MK and Monorail, Poly, definitely. BLT is very modern and "cold feeling" in design, for an adult it's nice, for a child, she may find it "boring" for lack of a better term, in my opinion.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone! We will have a park hopper - so I don't mind going through Epcot in the mornings to use the monorail. Have a nice morning pastry in France and then head probably to Nemo and back to the Magic Kingdom. I appreciate everyone's input. It is a tough choice, I know she wants to stay at AoA (3 years old and already knows enough to choose a resort!) and I will bring her there some day, but I think that with just her and I (at least for the first time) I just feel more comfortable with the monorail.

Rose

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Grand Floridian is a perfect choice in almost any circumstance, but also very good for a 4 year old girl. She will feel like a princess. Transportation is easy, quick to MK by monorail, quick return by boat. The courtyard pool is quiet and lovely, but there's also the beach pool and a new Alice and Wonderland water play area.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I picked the Grand Floridian too because honestly if I were 4 years old it's where I would want to stay! Never been an actual guest there but I had tea one afternoon and explored the public areas of the resort a little and it's beautiful. I'd say it's classy but not stuffy. There's usually a wedding there almost any day of the week and it's so nice if you can catch a glimpse of the Cinderella coach out front or the bridal party. It's a totally gender-normative thing but the little girls freaked out when they saw a bride pass by the afternoon I was there. Plus the Magic Kingdom is a boat ride or one monorail stop away, how can it get better!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

I picked the GF as well. Have you seen those princess dresses in the gift shop there?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd pick the GF or Poly!
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked the Poly for a few reasons. I love the theming and with someone that age I think the volcano pool would be a hit and being able to get something at the QS restaurant 24 hours a day could come in handy. There are also hula dancing lessons she would probably enjoy and the lighting ceremony. There is still the beach and you can see the castle across the water. We enjoy walking over to the GF along the water to eat at the character meals or one of the other restaurants.

The main reason I LOVE this resort is that you can grab the monorail to the MK (or a boat which I've never done) but you can also walk to the TTC and get the ferry to MK or the monorail to EC. So with planning you can avoid the bus except when going to the AK. I usually travel with 2 wheelchairs so I understand the convenience of the monorail you are talking about and trying to avoid buses. That being able to walk to the TTC for the EC monorail is a huge advantage for us.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the GF. It is truely a "princess" resort. I loved seeing the little girls in their dresses waiting for 1900 Park Faire when we were there on our last trip. They were all dancing to the orchestra music in the lobby.

A VERY close 2nd for me would be the Poly. My 4 year old loves Epcot almost as much as the MK, and the Poly has great access to both. Third for me would be the BC because of the pool.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

If the stroller is the problem, then you have the wrong stroller in my opinion. We went through this on our first trip. We had one of those huge travel system things. The stroller didn't fly back with us. We purchased a Cadillac of the umbrella styles at the time: MacLaren Techno XLR. It folds down like an umbrella stroller, easily managed, and only a little bigger. We purchased it online while we were at WDW and it was at our house when we got back.

You are not going to avoid the bus situation. I am not sure how much of Epcot you will do, but that can be done without a bus. However, DHS and AK cannot. AK is almost as much fun as MK for kids. DHS is also fun as well. You will not be avoiding the problem about buses.

Personally, I would not stay on a monorail resort to walk to the MK. If I were on the monorail line, I would be riding it every chance I could get.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that I will not be able to avoid the bus system. And that is okay, but we spend most of our time at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I rent a stroller from a place near Disney, therefore I do not have my own with me - it's just easier that way, and they do fold up easily, but it is still going to be hard to carry a sleeping child and the bags and the stroller by myself. (She falls asleep easily on the monorail, bus, boat ) That's the only reason why I'm thinking for the first time going down with her by myself, I just want to be overly cautious - if I find that it really wasn't as bad as I thought, I'll stay somewhere else next time. I just want to have an enjoyable trip with my DD I appreciate all of your help!

Rose

Post Thanks / Like

I would say the Poly....it is much more kid friendly than the others. We've stayed there many times and loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'd also pick the Grand Floridain. Stayed there twice. Once with my granddaughters. Was wonderful. Was at the world in Jan. with DH we did't stay at GF but did go over there to eat. They have redone the pool it is so cute for little ones.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: