Quantcast Young kids at Universal

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Young kids at Universal

We are considering adding Universal to our WDW vacation next January. Our boys will be almost 3 and almost 5 at this trip. We're just concerned there won't be much we can do.

DH and I would have to take turns staying back with the kids while another rides. Our kids have no clue who Spongebob, Nick characters, Shrek, Transformers, Spiderman, or HP is. We are DVC members so it's not like we don't have the opportunity to do Universal in years down the road. But we've never done Universal.

Would you go?
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Strictly thinking about value for your time & money, I would wait a few years. The boys will be more able to participate and "get" a lot more at that point.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. We just took my 4 yo son because he is really into Marvel Superheroes, which they have in Islands of Adventure. However, the park has a completely different atmosphere than Disney. It is LOUD. Like, really LOUD. Even before it got crowded, the piped in music was loud. And, the colors are really bright. Essentially, it was completely overstimulating. The patrons are different folks, too. Less family-oriented, in my opinion. There are some really neat things for little ones to do, but not to make it worth the price. I would wait.

Post Thanks / Like

We waited till our kids were older to venture over to universal. There just wasn't a ton for them to do when they were younger (and shorter). Our first trip to Universal with then was when they were 10 and 8, and it was a good age.

I didn't think the parks were any louder, or more colorful, than the Disney parks. We also found both the staff and other guests just the same as they are in Disney.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone. We took DD to Universal when she was 6, and it was too early. She was far too scared of many of the rides, and she really didn't enjoy the experience.

DD and I spent a lot of time waiting for DH to enjoy the rides. But, the non-moving seats in some of the rides were great, since at least I could get her on those ones.

I'd also wait, since they won't be "into" Harry Potter yet, and that is such a great part of the Universal Parks.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have waited with mine. They are 4 and 7 and have not been to IOA or Universal yet. There is just not enough they would be willing to do to make it worthwhile.

If you want to do something different you might consider Legoland. It is perfect for 3 and 5 year olds.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree that their experience will be limited. One reason we did take my son at 2 1/2 (back before IOA was even open) was Barney. He absolutely loved the show and we actually went twice so he could be right up front. (priceless video) We also did ET, the Curious George water area, the live animal show, and the Hanna Barbara ride (now Despicable Me).

Are your kids into Shrek and Despicable Me? I think you could make a day of it in US if you were interested in trying it. IOA has Seuss Landing, but not much else for little ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger's #1 Fan View Post
    I will agree that their experience will be limited. One reason we did take my son at 2 1/2 (back before IOA was even open) was Barney. He absolutely loved the show and we actually went twice so he could be right up front. (priceless video) We also did ET, the Curious George water area, the live animal show, and the Hanna Barbara ride (now Despicable Me).

Are your kids into Shrek and Despicable Me? I think you could make a day of it in US if you were interested in trying it. IOA has Seuss Landing, but not much else for little ones.
    They've never seen Shrek or Despicable me.

Thank you for just reassuring the decision we had made. While we don't let having kids stop us from doing things we love, sometimes things have to be put on hold.
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ANG View Post

Thank you for just reassuring the decision we had made. While we don't let having kids stop us from doing things we love, sometimes things have to be put on hold.
    That is a wonderful way to look at it! DH and I were the same way when our kids were younger.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by debbymc4 View Post
    However, the park has a completely different atmosphere than Disney. It is LOUD. Like, really LOUD. Even before it got crowded, the piped in music was loud. And, the colors are really bright. Essentially, it was completely overstimulating. The patrons are different folks, too. Less family-oriented, in my opinion.
    I have to disagree with this. I never noticed it to be louder than any other theme park and the people are no different than the people who go to Disney. We started taking my son when he was 2 and he loved it. Between the two parks there is plenty to do for younger kids.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above poster that said it may be more of a height thing than an age thing.

There were a couple things that raised an eyebrow with my kids last time (and they were 13 and 9). The Horror Make Up show - actually made a comment like "this isn't Disney so we don't have to be family friendly here". Thought that was odd.

The odder one was the Beetlejuice show. I hadn't been to Universal in awhile, and had never seen that show. I don't remember the exact wording but Beetlejuice was basically sitting on someone's lap mentioning getting lucky or something like that. It was a bit odd for a theme park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcrc View Post
    There were a couple things that raised an eyebrow with my kids last time (and they were 13 and 9). The Horror Make Up show - actually made a comment like "this isn't Disney so we don't have to be family friendly here". Thought that was odd.
    That was a joke. The whole show is funny.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: