Quantcast Moderate Resorts...What am I really getting for my $? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, I think it's more of the theming and landscaping. The extra time and effort put into the mods. I love the value resorts as well as the mods. The beds seemed to be similar to me, and the food around the same as well. Location is a little different, the mods seem to be a bit closer and have more transportation options at some than the value resorts.

Rose

"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly" - Lauren Bacall

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Having never stayed at a value resort I can't speak to that, but another plus for us to a Mod over a value is the double vanity. With two teenager girls to get ready in the morning...ummm yeah thats a big one for us.
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    If it's in the budget, I'd suggest an upgrade to a Moderate.

Where have you stayed on your previous trips? What are you "used" to?
    We have stayed in both. I loved the moderates and the kids loved the All-Stars. I would leave it up to them. This time it's just me and my youngest DS(9) going, so I’m sure he would prefer the All-Stars..

Also we have really opted out of staying on property with the whole family in the past few years, due to the size of the family. It's been condo's (resorts) for us..
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! So many responses and great bits of info! Thanks so much boys and girls

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedmansiongirl View Post
    I feel that the biggest difference between the Values and the Mods is the noise. We have only stayed at Pop, and the noise was crazy. Families were up early and by 6:30am you heard kids running, parents yelling, doors banging etc. it seems like the Mods have thicker walls or something because don't hear it as much. You hear a muffled noise, but it's not nearly as bothersome.
    This is my real and only beef with values...parks open at 9, so why are we up and running around and slamming doors at 630?
    I never need an alarm clock or wake up call there, that's for sure...maybe that's enough reason to try a mod...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you some of our quietest stays have been at mods..even over delx stays. Our stay at BC kids would run up and down those interior hallways and the noise just echoed...
    2008 Oct-POR & BC
    2009 Oct- CS
    2009 Dec- AKL & CRB
    2010 April - Dolphin
    2010 Oct- BWI
    2011 April - POR
    2011 Oct - AKL
    2012 April - Poly
    2012 Oct - AKL & YC
    2013 April - WL
    2013 Oct - AKL
    2014 Jan - CS
    2014 April - YC & POR
    2014 Oct - WL & YC
    2014 Dec - PORFQ
    2015 April - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Nicer, bigger beds.
    Themed pool with a slide.
    2 sinks outside the bathroom.
    Landscaped grounds.
    Sit down restaurant.
    Something "extra" - POR and POFQ boat to DtD.
    POR sleeps 5 in AB section.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

When we stayed at values in the past, we chose them for the price and were happy with the actual "value." (The Toy Story buildings were an attraction in themselves when my kids were little tykes.) When we stayed at mods, we chose them for the atmosphere.

Now that we're DVC members, we don't have to make that choice anymore , but on a recent trip we piggybacked a DVC stay with overnights at POR on both ends of the week. My hubby liked POR so much that time that he'd like to stay there again, even over some of the DVC resorts.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of 7 trips, I've done moderates 5 times and a value once, with AKL thrown in there. That said, I love the moderates over the value.

The bus service, althoug slow at POFQ and really slow at POR, is terrible at the values when compared with anywhere else. Carribean Beach has good bus service to the parks, and is ideally located for a trip to any park.

The food at CBR is just ok, but still better than what we had at AS Movies.

The theming at moderates are more adult oriented, in that you're transported into a different land than what you're used to. The values are really for kids as far as theming goes.

Space in the mods is a big thing to us. The queen beds are way better than those doubles at the values. And you can tell how much more space is in the moderates - especially if you have a stroller you have to park in the room. The values are a nightmare for storing extra baggage.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

When it was just my husband and I and our daughter, we preferred the values. DD was under 8 and she really appreciated and enjoyed the "kiddie" themes of the value resorts. I will admit there were a few times the noise got to us, and had one stay with cheerleader groups at All-Star Sports in which they were squealing and running around like crazy at all hours and smoking all over the resort, but since we really just use the resort/room to sleep and shower it was not that big of a deal. The money we saved on the room allowed us to spend more on TS meals and shop more in the stores there. Bus times and crowding was a bit more stressful at the values, but since we travel to WDW in mild weather (Dec, Feb, March), we've never been stuck baking in the sun for a bus.

But, once our oldest DD reached about 10, and we had more children, we started going to moderates. CS was nice but a lot of walking for those with kids, and POR is the mod resort we liked best. It still has plenty to interest our younger kids, but it feels more "grown up" and quieter for me and DH and for our oldest who is now "too cool" for the kiddie stuff (17). Plus, if you have more than 4 in your family, it's actually less expensive to room at POR than to have to pay for a family suite at a value.

Food courts at value and moderate seem to be almost identical to me (as far as crowding and theming and noise). Although if you plan to eat dinner at your resort, Moderates have TS restaurants and a few better dinner options at the food court.

Post Thanks / Like

slides, sit down restaurant access, and more lavish outdoor theming. That is really all. Just stay where your theming fits your mood. that is what disney is all about.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

For me, not having to wait in those hot lines for the busses is worth it. Next time we stay in a value we planned on getting a rental anyways. Of course that is not always an issue for a lot of people who drive too. I have enjoyed the grounds at pofq and cbr much more than the values too however.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget you can get a king bed at values if bed size is an issue.

We stayed at POR for years- it was our home base. Then started staying at values since they opened some new ones and it was fun to stay in brand new resorts.

A few years ago, we had to stay in a mod. Because we were part of a group of dancers and to perform at WDW we had to stay where Disney assigned us. I didn't think our room was any bigger than the values. If they are, didn't add up to much. The beds, towels, linens didn't seem any different.

The pass few family trips we have gotten 2 connecting rooms at a value for a discount and the 2 rooms allow us to stretch out but don't cost much more than a moderate. We needed the extra room with 2 adults and 2 teens.

We stayed at the Polyesian one trip and loved it, but if I want to go to Disney once a year - values allow it. I can use the extra $$ saved for food and park admission.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    WOW! So many responses and great bits of info! Thanks so much boys and girls

This is my real and only beef with values...parks open at 9, so why are we up and running around and slamming doors at 630?
    I never need an alarm clock or wake up call there, that's for sure...maybe that's enough reason to try a mod...
    Good question. And what are they doing running around at 3am?
    Jack Sparrow: Hide the rum

91-98 Off property
    ASMusic-99
    POFQ-01 Wildfires
    ASMovies-02,03
    Pop-04 Hurricane Jeanne
    Pop-05 Tropical Storm Arlene
    Pop-09,10,11
    Sports-12
    Pop-15

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: