Quantcast "Reality shows" really fake?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question "Reality shows" really fake?

I LOVE watching all the different "reality" shows like Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, American Pickers, etc. There was a recent story that one of the Storage Wars people is claiming that the show is fake, with items being planted in the storage units to be 'found' to make the show more interesting. I have seen an episode of Pawn Stars and American Pickers where the same item was on both shows.. the item was a supposed belt buckle from the civil war, with a bullet still in it. I can 'believe' one being found, but two? What are your thoughts? Do you think these 'reality' shows are staged?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely!!!! That's why I don't watch "reality" TV.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

This has been known for a while. There is scripted content all throughout so called "reality tv" shows. They actually repeat parts (do retakes) until they get it like the producers want. The shows such as Ice Road Truckers, Gold Rush, etc. all have scripted parts as well. One of the drivers on Ice Road Truckers, Rick Hugh, went on a public rant last year about the show being called "reality" but being full of faked content for the tv show.

Post Thanks / Like

99% of them are to a certain extent. Sometimes I find it hard for some one to make believe they are that mean (I.e. The Real Housewives shows), so I believe the personalities are probably acurate, but some of the situations are definitely, set up, rigged, etc.

Though I am up in the air with the whole Storage Wars thing, sometimes the shows seems a bit more dramatic than I can imagine actually being. But knowing someone who owns a thrift store funded basically through "Storage" buying here in RI, I can confirm that a) there are some crazy and strange things found in storage containers, and b) really expensive and collectible items found. So that show is a eh half and half for me.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

We too enjoyed Storage Wars. Now when we watch it, we try to determine which item was planted. It's not nearly as exciting as thinking these people simply got lucky.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, fake. But I still enjoy some of them anyway. House Hunters and House Hunters International are actually filmed after the featured couple/individual have agreed to purchase one of the properties, then two other properties are thrown in to make it look like they have to decide between them. But I still enjoy watching. I love seeing other people's houses and the possibilities in the various price ranges/locations. I go in knowing that I am watching for entertainment value.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hmmmmm . . . kinda like a certain Disney dragon clip . . . . .

Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yeah I don't know that "fake" is the word, but partially staged? Definitely.

I mean, you can tell from Pawn Stars. Every interaction with every client is the same. "Hey I've got this thing. Wow, this is cool but I don't really know much about it. Let me call in my expert." Etc. etc. etc.

That being said, they're still very entertaining and I watch all of them!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I mean, you can tell from Pawn Stars. Every interaction with every client is the same.
    ... and I have yet to see someone actually want to PAWN something.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    OOOO I did! One guy pawned his comic book collection (or maybe it was baseball cards, I can't remember). He said he needed a lot of cash and didn't like the sale price he was quoted so he pawned them instead.

If reality shows really were really unscripted they'd be so boring. I don't watch a lot of them, but I do like to catch Pawn Stars and Long Island Medium when they're on, and occasionally Say Yes to the Dress. I had a friend on SYTTD and it's pretty accurate.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly totally fake. Mostly entertaining anyway.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    In the very early episodes they usually split it up ... a couple people would be looking to sell and a few would be looking to pawn. They even used to show people coming into the store to buy items, which was interesting too.

Now, though, you're right ... 99.9% of the answers to, "Do you want to pawn it or sell it?" are, "I wanna sell it."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much nothing "real" about "reality" t.v. shows. Doesn't mean their not entertaining though if you watch them for what they are...t.v. shows and not real life.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    If reality shows really were really unscripted they'd be so boring. I don't watch a lot of them, but I do like to catch Pawn Stars and Long Island Medium when they're on, and occasionally Say Yes to the Dress. I had a friend on SYTTD and it's pretty accurate.
    Say Yes To The Dress and House Hunters are the few "reality" shows I watch. Yes, they are staged, but the process is pretty accurate. I actually used some of things I saw on House Hunters and My First Sale when I was selling my first home and buying my second home last year. And looking at some of the dresses on SYTTD is a lot of fun!

I can't stand any of the "competition" reality shows like Survivor, Amazing Race, Bachelor/Bachelorette, etc. I find nothing enjoyable about them.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I watch Pawn Stars on a regular basis, and I don't care if staged or not. Why? I basically see it as Antiques Roadshow where you have a really cool artifact and you learn things about it. If I'm worrying about if a "reality" show is scripted or not, I don't need to sweat the small stuff! Trying to guess what they'll offer for a certain item is pretty fun too.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

My husband used to work with someone who worked at HGTV. Their job? Writing reality shows. This person said that they are ALL scripted.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to believe 'The Office' is staged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriarRose0708 View Post
    I don't watch a lot of them, but I do like to catch Pawn Stars and Long Island Medium.
    I think I'm related to the Long Island Medium. My dad's mom was a Caputo. lol
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: