Quantcast NextGen, Magic Band, and FP+ - Page 16

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I've been following this thread, but haven't yet commented. I do follow and understand the concerns people have. But, I have to say, I can't get worked up about any of it until we see how it's actually going to work. There's obviously a very high stress level surrounding this and it may all be for nothing. I realize this may change the way we vacation at WDW (because we are definitely not making FP ressies in advance) but I'm not yet convinced that it's going to ruin our experience. I'll just wait to experience it before I form an opinion.
    Agreed.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I've been following this thread, but haven't yet commented. I do follow and understand the concerns people have. But, I have to say, I can't get worked up about any of it until we see how it's actually going to work. There's obviously a very high stress level surrounding this and it may all be for nothing. I realize this may change the way we vacation at WDW (because we are definitely not making FP ressies in advance) but I'm not yet convinced that it's going to ruin our experience. I'll just wait to experience it before I form an opinion.
    I echo these thoughts exactly. It seems like people are "borrowing worries from the future" with what if scenarios that may never come to pass. A more optimistic interpretation of what they've said about this is:
    • now you'll reserve your fastpasses on your smart phone instead of having to run to the attraction itself
    • you'll be able to get the Fastpasses in advance if you want to
    • You'll be able to change the fastpasses on the fly with your phone if you want to
    • You'll never need a paper ticket / room key / fastpass / etc. again

Call me naive but it seems like all positive to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJason View Post
    • You'll be able to change the fastpasses on the fly with your phone if you want to
    Just to clarify, you can only change your choices up-and-until the window of your first Fastpass opens up, after that time (presumably a time earlier in the morning) you are locked into your choices for the day.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Even with the further details and clarification, it is STILL too much prior planning for me and the way my family travels. Many times we go to bed having no idea what park we're hitting up the next day. Yes, I get it that you can change your FPs up until whenever, whenever, but it's still a lot of trouble, and no fun.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Agreed.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like as a passholder I currently have to wait in a huge line just to get in the parks, it has been worse than New Years eve. They said they are having problems with the parking and discount part of it.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this on msnbc.com:

Disney World's turnstiles vanishing, replaced by Apple iPod Touches and RFID bracelets
    Visitors to Walt Disney World know the drill: if you want to spin in a giant tea cup, drop down Splash Mountain, or wave to Snow White, you'll likely encounter a less than magical turnstile before the fun can begin.

Recently, though, guests have been in for a surprise.

At Disney properties in Florida the company has taken out half the turnstiles and replaced them with “touch points,” globes with a mouse logo that lights up green when a visitor holds a valid ticket up to it, Disney told NBC News.

Turnstiles are being replaced with “touch points.” When Walt Disney World Resort rolls-out MyMagic+ later this year, guests will be able to enter the parks with the touch of a wireless wristband.
    Choose this way to enter a park and you can just walk in. There are no more gates or turnstiles to deal with.

Visitors in wheelchairs or those with strollers can use the same entrance that everybody else does.

Park employees have also been equipped with iPod touches to scan tickets. The gadgets are part of a test and provide “another option to help with guest service,” Disney said.

The company has been quietly introducing the upgrades as part of its “MyMagic+” program, which will eventually get rid of turnstiles all together. It will also provide visitors with other high-tech features, such as the “MagicBand,” a wireless RFID bracelet that will function as a park entry pass, hotel room key and wallet. The program, still in the testing phase, is expected to be fully rolled out over the coming year.

The changes are designed to make moving around the parks smoother. The company hopes they will create a “more seamless and more personal experience,” wrote Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, in a blog post earlier this year.

Visitors can get in quicker without turnstiles, Disney pointed out, which may translate into shorter lines. Park employees will still be working at the entrances, helping visitors and monitoring the process.

Most people are “surprised and delighted” not to see turnstiles, Disney told NBC News. The new system is in place only in Florida for now, though visitors will likely see similar upgrades at Disney properties in other parts of the country and the world down the road.

Industry observers predicted the changes will likely pay off for the company.

If there’s less hassle for travelers to enter the park, that adds to their experience and makes them a little happier during their visit, said John Gerner, managing director of Leisure Business Advisors. That, in turn, can translate into more money for the park.

“This may give [Disney] a bit of an advantage in that people know now that when they come to visit a Disney park, it’ll be a little more convenient perhaps than other theme parks,” Gerner said.

It’ll be a while before the wristbands are handed out, but the disappearing turnstiles are already a reality.

Studies have shown that theme park visitors hate “double dipping” – or having to constantly go into their pockets to bring out more money or produce tickets – so the wireless wristband will likely appeal to guests by helping reduce the need for cash, Gerner said.

“In the time that they would have spent waiting at a turnstile to get in, those are a few more minutes that they can spend browsing in a shop or getting something to eat and that adds revenue,” said Gerner.
    This paints a pretty different picture than guest reports I've heard lately. I'm guessing this is a press release, rather than a news story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Saw this on msnbc.com:

This paints a pretty different picture than guest reports I've heard lately. I'm guessing this is a press release, rather than a news story.
    In related news, Disney announced that Guests thought Yeti A was too scary and were glad he continues to be Yeti C-.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrist Bans

Well I am not crasy about this that much at all. It would be Ok for Fastpass+ for resort guest ONLY, Park Ticket- and I would not like my room key or charging option on it either. This is way too much information on one item such as a wrist ban.
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

This paints a pretty different picture than guest reports I've heard lately.
    I think an important point is most of the negative comments on this thread have come from people who have never tried it.

I find it interesting that on a web site where a large number of the post are related to planning and making ADRs and people counting down the days until they can make reservation, that the idea of offering a optional tool to help those who like to plan is considered by some to be evil.

I have read some fairly bizarre comments on this board some start by saying it will take the fun out of going to Disney and conclude by saying that if you opt out of using the magic bands you will be missing out on the experience. Am I alone in seeing the contradiction? My personal favourite is the idea that Disney cast members will use the information to track and stalk your kids. When my kids were younger I always told them if they got lost to tell a cast member.

Will the new system be better for some - yes, will be not as good for some - yes. That is called change, and of course Disney hopes it will get you spend more money that is why they are in business after all. Personally I have enough faith in Disney not to do something that will ruin the experience for me. I have seen lots of changes at WDW over the years, some I liked, others I could have done without, but I guarantee some of the changes I thought were the best thing ever someone else hated. Yes there will be bugs but from what I have seem from just over 3 decades of going to Disney is that if it isn't working and it is turning people away they will change it.

So in conclusion I would like to propose the following. Lets not be so paranoid and line our mouse ear hats with aluminum foil yet, Snow White doesn't want to turn your child into the eighth dwarf. Lets wait until it fully roles out before we pass judgement. When I am able to get to Disnet next I will endure any hiccups in the system by having another ride on the Tea Cups or seeing the smile on a child's face when they meet Mickey or Cinderella for the first time.

If that doesn't work remember you are still the master of your fate, no one will force you to go to Disney, vote with your wallet and stay home.

Just remember your worst day at Disney is still ten times better than your best day at work!

Keep calm and carry on

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

My son has some difficulty and this new concept will hopefully make our trip alot easier. I look forward to trying it out in December.
    Yacht Club May 2015
    AoA Holiday 2013
    Pop Century May 2012, July 2011, May 2008, and May 2006
    All Star Music Sept 2007
    All Star Movies May 2006
    Many Trips as a Child Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Swan, Dolphin, and Board Walk

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if this was already discussed and I skimmed over it, but this entry in the terms of service for "My Disney Experience" was interesting (from the section named CONVERTING TO PAPERLESS TICKETS):

Once you convert a ticket or pass you will no longer be able to participate in the standard FASTPASS service upon arrival in the parks.

Full conversion will lead to the death of traditional FastPass in favor of pre-scheduled FP+. Definitely not looking forward to that aspect - being able to adjust plans on the fly is a good part of the touring we usually do. You can't schedule them at multiple parks because of:

You may make FastPass+ selections for one park per day.

Also interesting was the DINING section, referring to using FastPass+ selections for designated table service or quick service locations. They also reserve the right to re-assign or re-schedule your FastPass+ selections (that could be a stinker).

Post Thanks / Like

I also see this as how they will eventually sell the ability to schedule more FP+ items per day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I am not sure if this was already discussed and I skimmed over it, but this entry in the terms of service for "My Disney Experience" was interesting (from the section named CONVERTING TO PAPERLESS TICKETS):

Once you convert a ticket or pass you will no longer be able to participate in the standard FASTPASS service upon arrival in the parks.

Full conversion will lead to the death of traditional FastPass in favor of pre-scheduled FP+. Definitely not looking forward to that aspect - being able to adjust plans on the fly is a good part of the touring we usually do. You can't schedule them at multiple parks because of:

You may make FastPass+ selections for one park per day.

Also interesting was the DINING section, referring to using FastPass+ selections for designated table service or quick service locations. They also reserve the right to re-assign or re-schedule your FastPass+ selections (that could be a stinker).
    I've been saying for a while that Fastpass we we know it is going away... Now, you give us written proof...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    I tend to agree.

Somewhere in the fine print it also says the number of Fastpass+ will be limited depending upon day of the week, time of year, etc.

So...... If Disney is limited AP holders to 20/month and a non AP family (us) is going for 8 days, I'd have to think no way will Disney allow us to make more than 20 FastPass+ during our trip (even tho 8 days x 3/day = 24). We'd be spending a lot of time waiting in line ans NOT spending money! Why would anyone use this system (if given a choice)? Why would everyone not just continue to use the good-ole-fine-the-way-it-was Fastpass system and maybe, just maybe Disney would get the hint? (yea, haha). I really don't give a flying Tinkerbell if Mickey knows our name.
    The corrent FastPass system only works for people who go to the park early morning. If you are someone who likes to relax on vacation and go later in the day, the fastpasses are already gone.

People say the current fastpass system works for everyone. trust me, it does not! It has only worked for a select group of people...early risers....those bright-eyed bushy-tailed people who think nothing of getting up at 4:30 am for a nice early morning run...who are done their second load of laundry before 8 am...these people have no concept of 'too early'.

When we go to Disney, we do tours many days, and these are usually in the mid-morning. Also, on non-tour days, I like to sleep. Vacations, to me...require pre-planning so when I get to my vacation spot I do not have to plan ANYTHING...it's why I like cruising, too!)

Last time we went to WDW, we had to send a runner (hubby) into the park to get passes for soarin'. Then I waited for the tourguide to show up. Hubby made it back, sweaty and pooped, but he had our tickets! We had to plan that stuff at least the day before, because we needed to arrange wake-up calls, etc.

The new system would allow us to just preplan those attractions that are important to us....more relaxing, more fun...no early morning dashing in the FL heat..l..no anxious moments, wondering if we might actually be able to ride TSM without an hour wait...

I'm glad Disney is finally realizing there are different types of vacationers, and are allowing for people to vacation THEIR way. Night owlers Unite (or is it younight?)!

...and right now there are limits of how many fast passes you can have at one time...
    1980 Golf Resort(Was Disney Inn, now Shades of Green)
    1986 Contemporary
    1992 Swan
    1999 POFQ
    2003 (10/13-21) AKL Platinum Honeymoon (Grand Marshals - HS)
    2008 (10/7-15) Poly Platinum 5th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/6-13) Poly Platinum 10th Anniversary!
    2013 (10/13-17) Disney Dream

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: