Half daydreaming/half seriously planning my very FIRST trip to Disneyland. I've been to WDW almost as many times as the number of years old I am, but I have NO idea about how to plan a trip to California. HELP!!!

Where should we stay at Disney? It will be me, my DH, DD (who will be age 7 when this imaginary/real trip happens) & DS (age 5 at the time). I figure we'll spend 3 or 4 days at the Disneyland Resort but then what else can we do to fill the rest of the week in the area??? What would you veterans recommend as family friendly but non theme park things to visit after our Disneyland stay? Should we stay in the Disneyland area for the duration or switch hotels to downtown LA after (or elsewhere). Which airport? Rent a car? HELP!! I am soooooo out of my element. I know WDW inside and out, but I seriously know NOTHING about Disneyland. It's the not knowing that has held me back from visiting for years. I pretty much want someone to just hand me a schedule of where to be/where to go on which day. Feel free to plan my trip for me!