Quantcast Healthy Living Club 2013

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Healthy Living Club 2013

Well. Here it is! 2013. And with it, this year's Healthy Living Club. Hopefully one of the mods will see this and make it a sticky thread.

For myself, I intend to stay in the gym until my bike comes out in the spring. Then I want to continue with the workouts AND biking. My beloved wife already thinks I am a little nuts. I found that just riding this year and not going into the gym has left me with good cardio but reduced strength and flexibility. Not to mention incredibly tight IT bands in my legs.

My plans for my beautiful Giant TCR Composite bike this year is to continue commuting the 20 km to and from work once the ice leaves the roads and I won't have to suffer from frostbite. I know, I'm a weanie. I like the idea of saving all that gas. Just not at the cost of losing a toe or nose to the cold.

I would also like to ride at least 2000 km this year and maybe even do a "century" ride. Never gone that far before. My best was 65 km.

So where are you going this year? Let's hear from as many people as we can. Remember we are here to help and encourage each other. Let's hear those neat tips you have gained along the way. Let's also hear about the challenges you are facing. Someone out there may have solutions.

Gary
    Officially too many trips to list here!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I started running to participate in RunDisney events and plan to keep running in 2013. I've done three Disney Half Marathons in the last three years and my goal this year is to do one not at Disney. Living in Denver it is always easier for me running at sea level so I'm going to challenge myself by running a Half here at altitude in May. And plan to get back to a RunDisney race in 2014.

Oh and I've decided to give up desserts for 2013 so maybe I'll start to look like a runner I'm not very good at counting calories, etc so I figured I'll start small by eliminating unnecessary calories.
    "Jammin' in the jungle to the rhythm of one!"

Proud mom of Elias - born Sept 2008!

WDW College Program Alum-Fall 2001

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to join the healthy living club. I'm not sure where to start or what to do, but I know that I have to do something! I've been sick lately and feel I could be living a whole lot healthier.
    I'm hoping to gather tips and strength from you all to get me where I need to be!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

Aw man, we're here again? I've started this year about 10 pounds north of where I'd like to be, so that is my goal: To get back down to my "fighting weight." I feel so much better at that weight. I've been having back and neck pains, more headaches, etc. all due to a measly 10 pound gain over the latter part of last year. Time to buckle down, have more self control, and get it off! I've been naughty on the dessert front lately. My new rule is going to be having a good dessert ONE time per week. No more. I'm allowing myself dark chocolate squares (just one or two) when I need a sweet in between.

I hope to continue to run regularly, and I have tentative plans to run in next January's Disney races (either the 5k or half). The 5K would be a cake walk for me, since I normally run 3-4 miles several times a day, but I've never actually run an organized race, and I NEVER run at the crack of dawn, so maybe I'll start small.

Good luck to all this year!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I've been back at the gym at least 3, if not 4 days per week. I've promised myself that I'm running (running!) the 5k next year (2014) marathon weekend with a group of others here.

I'm determined to have lost at least 5 pants sizes by then on top of the 2 I'm already down. I'm not looking at a scale, because I know I'm adding muscle and as we all know, that weighs more. The numbers on the scale discourage me when they don't go down like I would like. So I'm trusting my pants instead!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post
    I'd like to join the healthy living club. I'm not sure where to start or what to do, but I know that I have to do something! I've been sick lately and feel I could be living a whole lot healthier.
    I'm hoping to gather tips and strength from you all to get me where I need to be!
    Go get'em Lynne.

Start off slowly and don't expect miracles in the first few days. Don't be discouraged by some pain or sweat. It's natural!

And especially don't be consumed by the scale. Get on the scale once and don't get on it every day. Wait about a month to see what the numbers are. Judge more by how your clothes feel.

That last idea sparked something in my memory. For anyone out there who suffers from congestive heart failure or have family members who do, get a good digital scale and weigh yourself every day at the exact same time (first thing in the morning after ablutions, etc.) wearing the exact same clothing (well - nothing, actually). If you see a large increase in your weight in a short period of time, coupled with some swelling in the ankles and breathing problems, call your doctor. If the breathing problems become severe, call EMS/911 and for our friends in the UK: call 999

Ooh. Got sidetracked there for a minute.

Good luck all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Go get'em Lynne.

Start off slowly and don't expect miracles in the first few days. Don't be discouraged by some pain or sweat. !
    Thank you! I'm going to start by eating healthier, walking daily and cutting down on sweets. I'd love to eventually be able to run. My boys are track athletes and I'm always so amazed by runners. How wonderful it would be to do a Disney run with them!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

Post Thanks / Like

I joined Weight Watchers six months ago and have lost 50 pounds. I figure I have another 20 to lose, so I'm going to keep working on that.

I also decided last September that I'm going to run the Disneyland half marathon in September of this year and started training. I've started the couch to 5k program, which I thought I'd never be able to do, but now am nearly finished with it, running for 25 minutes straight!

So, my healthy living resolution for 2013 is to keep on the path that I started last year. Honestly at this time last year I NEVER would have thought about running a half marathon and I wouldn't have believed how much weight I've lost (or, honestly, how much I NEEDED to lose, that was a big shock).
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Aryn! That is awesome!
    ~Lynne~

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up th great work aryn! I have heard of several others having a lot if luck with the couch to 5k and I have to say that doing a Disney half would be the perfect accomplishment to see how far you've come!

BrerGnat - I'm with you on the 10 lbs and it really is crazy to me how much different I feel just one pant size smaller.

Good luck everyone and I look forward to being accountable to the intercot healthy living club!

I runDisney - 2010 DL Half, 2012 Coast to Coast DL Half and Wine & Dine, 2014 Tinker Bell Half, 2014 Avengers Half, 2015 Pixie Dust Challenge, 2015 Dumbo Double Dare

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaand....our treadmill just broke this morning. The rear roller holding the belt just came OFF it's hinge. My DH hurt his shoulder pretty badly when he fell.

So now, I guess it's either:

A) Run in the freezing cold outside.

or

B) Run up and down my stairs for 30 min.

Both sound equally unappealing...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy did I indulge over the holidays. Started out the new year a few pounds north of where I was myself. But, the sweets are out of the house and I'm regaining control of my eating and tracking my food again. Also, my workouts are almost up to normal again.

Marlyn, Gary's advice is great! Start out slow and don't get discouraged. Any positive change you make, no matter how small, makes a difference and can be built on. When I started out I picked what I thought was my one worst eating habit and started from there. That was almost 40lbs ago.

BrerGnat, so sorry about your treadmill. That really stinks. I rely on mine A LOT and I feel your pain.

Last year I had wanted to make sure we all had bikes and could enjoy that as a family activity. It didn't happen, and I'm hoping to make it happen this year.

Congratulations to all of you that have made great changes in your life! Here's hoping for a healthy, happy and prosperous 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    BrerGnat, so sorry about your treadmill. That really stinks. I rely on mine A LOT and I feel your pain.
    Thanks. Luckily, it's under warranty. New parts are ordered and on the way, and a technician should be out to fix it within the week. Thankfully, the weather this week seems to be taking a slight warming trend, so running outdoors in the afternoons isn't so bad. Just got back from a jog with the pooch.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Joining in.... I have some work ahead of me, so it'd be nice to do it with some fellow I'cotees!

I lost 34 lbs a year and a half ago... most of it with hard work, the last bit of it b/c of a stressful situation... so looking to reclaim the hard work part and get back where I was! I gained back quite a few pounds over the last 2 months, I'm such a winter cook/hibernator!!

I was running really well until mid-summer, then did something to my R knee that still troubles me now & again, so I am trying to slowly build up my running again.... hoping to run @ Disney, but we'll see how the next few months go. For now, it'll be enough if it helps with some weight loss and just overall wellness.

Trying a new approach to eating, as well... starting on a specific healthy eating plan Monday, for a month... then will work it all back into my normal diet. We'll see how it goes... just need a jump start, I'm not a patient person, so if in a month I can see a difference, it will propel me to continue.

Heading back to the gym Sunday... it's been awhile, and I'm 50% looking forward to it, and 50% not.

Good luck to everyone!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

Lot's of activity. Lot's of energy! Love it!

My first two immediate goals are to get over this cellulitis that has the side of my face all swollen up and incredible pain in my ear. (glad I proof-read before I submit - I actually typed REAR)

The second one is to get rid of the rest of the Christmas goodies my wife and I baked with plans to give out to family and friends, but we decided to eat ourselves. At least many of them were gluten-free, so our youngest could help with the eating.

Next week, I head to London Ontario to help certify some Fire Department people in Emergency Medical Care. I will be taking my yoga mat with me and maybe some light weights to work out in my hotel room.

Then, back to regular workouts in the gym at work and at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Chiming in here too! Goal for the year is to drop another 15lbs. I lost 10 in the second half of 2012 by counting calories but with a five foot frame and serious love of cooking and baking it was slow going. Current project is to up my calories burned by aerobic work to 200 a day. Small changes that become routine seem to work best for me.

good luck everyone
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I'm allowing myself dark chocolate squares (just one or two) when I need a sweet in between.
    So I'm not the only one doing this?

I need to learn to be more consistent with my routines. Our fitness center unexpectedly closed the other day so I came home and did a kettle bell workout with a video. Oh MAN...I could barely walk for 3 days... Like I said, if I were more consistent with that activity, squats wouldn't have such a painful after effect. To that note, I ordered more kettle bells to have greater variety. Right now I only have 1 size but will have 4 to choose from when these new ones arrive.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I've officially made it 20 days without dessert and it is getting easier. It has been somewhat tricky defining what constitutes a dessert and what is ok. For example I've decided donuts are desserts and some but not all muffins. I guess I'll make judgement calls throughout the year. My pants are feeling a bit loser so some progress.

Hope everyone else is doing good on their goals!

St Pete Beach FL- Too close and too far away
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see all the sharing and encouragement here.
    It has been almost 2 years since big changes started in my life. Over the course of 1 of those years I lost about 50 lbs-and it was easy. I woke up and decided to do it FINALLY and just started walking-and my relationship with food changed..and it was great. And I kept the weight off until 3 months ago-I decided it was time to give up the smokeys (I had smoked cigarettes for 20+ years) I knew I would gain some of the weight back-but I wasn't expecting this.
    I gained 15 lbs back!! Not to mention, I still had 15 to go to get to my original goal weight from when I started this journey...
    So, last month I started my new work out-and man, this isn't going to be easy like it was the first time around! Im working my bum off here.
    Last week I decided to train for the 2014 Half marathon at WDW. This year is going to be busy.
    but I know I can do it. All of us can!!
    And for the record...I decided I dont' have a goal weight anymore. Like someone else here said-muscle weighs more and so it throws me off to see the scale going up not down...yet I feel great.
    So I've decided I don't care how much I weigh. I care about how I look and feel in my own skin.
    My goal this year is to feel more at home in my own body than I ever have before!!!
    Godd Luck everyone. I can't wait to run the 1/2 with some of you next year.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! May I join the club? I just started taking Green Coffee Bean Extract. Hopefully Dr. Oz wasn't lying when he said it works. I do not want to rely on pills though to lose my weight.. so I am trying to also incorporate diet and exercise changes into my life. Need to toss out or get rid of the rest of the junk that is in my house, then plan to never buy it again. I am trying to decide between buying a kettle ball, or a 2lb weighted hula hoop? I need to lose about 20 lbs.. would love to be a size 6 by my anniversary in November. Would love to be a size 3 again, but at my age I'm sure that's not a realistic goal. I finished a half marathon a few years ago (mostly speed walking)..lost a toenail because of it. Haven't done any marathons since. But I would love to run the Tower of Terror 10k next year (2014).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: