Quantcast Trouble at work

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Trouble at work

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trouble at work

I do the payroll and HR administration at the company I work for. We have about 600-650 employees and I do the job all by myself. I don't do the hiring or the firing per se. The managers are supposed to check with me before firing or disciplining someone to make sure we are compliant with the laws. (We are in 10 different states). So yesterday I get a call from a woman who was just fired. She said that when she asked the manager and District manager who to call to file a complaint she was given my name but told it wouldn't do any good to call me because I'm a nasty Bi**H to anyone who calls me. Needless to say, this upset me very much. Unfortunately I'm treated like this quite frequently at this job. But because I'm older and fairly well paid, it's not easy to find another job.
    I sent an email to two of the VPs and to my boss, the owner's son saying that I felt this was uncalled for and that I am tired of being treated this way and for being vilified and that I wanted to file a complaint. One VP didn't even bother to respond, the other one said "we'll talk later" and my boss (the owner's son) said we'd talk when he came to the office. He is usually only in the office for about 30 minutes a day. So before I know it, the VP leaves and my boss is long gone as well. The two of them were behind closed doors for a little bit so I expected them to talk to me after that but it never happened. I took today off because I've been sick all week so they knew they wouldn't be talking to me today. Am I wrong to think that this behavior is unacceptable by all of them?
    And to top it all off, I wouldn't be surprised to have them turn around and fire me for daring to defend myself!
    And one of the funny things? The unit manager that said that about me? I've never even spoken to him! The District Manager was really rude to me when he first started because "I didn't go do his orientation and I didn't drop everything to take his many phone calls". 1) We don't have orientation because I'm one person doing two full time jobs and 2) he's in PA and I'm in MA! And 3) it's up to the manager hiring the person to orient the new employee, regardless of whether they are a manager hiring a line employee or a District Manager hiring a unit manager.
    I guess I just needed to vent about this because it's really been bothering me.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry! I think HR can be one of the most thankless positions in a company (along with IT support), since you only hear from people when things go wrong, and they forget all hard you work to make it go right most of the time!

I agree that your boss needs to talk to you ASAP about how you're feeling, and support you, since it wasn't fair what the DM said about you.

Sending your way for a quick and positive outcome!
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you're going through this. Keep in mind though that you got this information from a person that was just fired. You can't be certain that the DM actually said it. Maybe your bosses were going to speak with the DM before speaking to you so they have all the facts. Try to stay calm until you actually speak with them (easier said than done).
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I agree its not fair and I would say something about it myself if it were me. Have you considered approaching it as a hostile work place issue.

Good luck. Good HR folks that protect the company's interest are hard to find. Apparently you are good at what you do or you would not be there as long as you have.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like an awful time for you. It sounds to me like the problem is one highly unprofessional District Manager. Your bosses have been working with you for a while and I'm sure they know the problem here is not you. It could be that they haven't gotten back to you yet because they're deciding how to handle the DM before bringing you back into the loop, and the holidays add to the slow-down in communications. Maybe the best bet is to try to imagine the best possible outcome for you and release any stress brought on by not knowing at this point. Don't assume the worst. You can only control your own response. I hope this comes to a satisfying resolution for you soon.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately they have not been supportive in the past. I've even been threatened by one (now former) employee's boyfriend. And he did it on voice mail so I had proof. And when I've gone to them about the way I've been spoken to, I've been told I need to grow thicker skin!
    And I believed the woman who had been fired because she was actually very calm and told me what she had been told and said that she hoped we could have a civilized conversation. I told her that there shouldn't be a problem because she was treating me with respect so she could expect the same from me. And I can totally see the District Manager in question saying this just to keep himself out of being reported for firing her, trying to discourage her from calling me.
    And yes, I've completely thought about taking further action because this has been a hostile work environment on a lot of levels. I've been told by the VPs that "none of the managers like you". That's surprising because I've gotten gift cards at Christmas, emails when I've sent out notice that I'm going on vacation telling me to enjoy myself because I work too hard etc. And you can be sure I send all these to my personal email account to back up my statements. I really shouldn't have to deal with this on a daily basis.
    I've worked while on vacation in Disney World, on the ride to Disney World and back when we drove down. I even had my laptop in the hospital and was working while my mother was dying! I watch the company's money as if it were my own! And I don't get much in the way of thanks either. A simple "good job" goes a long way.

I can't wait to see what next week brings!
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh. Sounds like your in quite the spot. Hope it gets better. Might be time to start looking for a new job. Easier said than done though, I know it's not easy.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've been keeping my eyes open but unfortunately with what I make, and not having any kind of degree, it's not easy to find something. And I can't afford to take much of a cut in pay because I own my own home so I work two jobs to pay the mortgage.
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, wow, that's stressful. I can imagine your frustration because this sounds like it's being handled badly from the top down, and maybe you're taking the heat for a lot of frustration with the upper management. I can't imagine how they would function without you, so I hope they wise up fast. In the meantime, maybe carve out some "me time" with a stress releasing hobby or activity, yoga, massage therapy, something to help keep you sane in the chaos.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sherri. I actually took Friday off and didn't bother to call in or log into the work computer. Let someone else deal with my jobs and see how they enjoy it.

The worst part was I had finally gotten them to agree that I need help and they hired an HR person. They then told me she was going to be my boss, they paid her a lot more than me and gave her her own office. She'd come in around 9-10am, take a 1-2 hour lunch break and be gone by 430-5pm at the very latest. I kept my mouth shut for as long as I could because even though she only worked about 5 hours a day, at least that was a few hours a week in phone calls she saved me. I finally blew up at the owner's son and they looked into it and fired her. Then they said there was no need to replace her.

If my job is so easy, let them do it for awhile. The payroll part I can do with my eyes closed. It is all the HR emails and phone calls and negativity that drag me down.

Thanks for listening to me vent. I'm going to make a very concerted effort to not let things bother me so much in the New Year!
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

It definitely sounds like they need to take more responsibility for what you do. Don't let your job interfere with your personal life any more. They need to learn their lesson.

Stress is very unhealthy for you. Reduce as much of it as you can. I know many people who love you and want you around for as long as possible.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cinderelly! I am absolutely dreading going into work tomorrow.
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Was anything better?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, not really. Although my boss told me to only put in for one vacation day and to pay myself regular time for the other day. I think he knows I've had enough. I did sit down with him today and told him that moral in the office has never been this bad and that a number of people, including me, were ready to walk out. I even told him that I looked into declaring bankruptcy to get rid of my credit card debt so that I could survive on unemployment and still pay my mortgage. I wouldn't do that unless I had NO choice.
    He said that he and the VP were talking and they both agree that something needs to be done. I told him even if they hired someone who could just do filing, make photocopies, faxing etc that would help everyone in the office. I'm trying my darnedest not to let myself get pushed over the edge again, but I told one of my co-workers (whose also ready to walk out) that I'm convinced this job is actually going to kill me from the stress.
    So I'm keeping my eyes open to see what's out there. I'll try to hang in there until I can find something else. Thank you for asking. It's nice to know that someone actually listens and cares. lol
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh...life would be so much easier without work stress. Sorry it's not getting better. Hopefully you can find something new soon so you can get the heck out of that place!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

It seems that many family-owned companies do well at their core function, but stinks at the managerial side.

It almost sounds like you need to work to rule. Do only what is required and only when you are at work. Turn off your cell phone on weekends, evenings and on vacation, or just don't answer it.

There is a thing called Work Life Balance that many companies push now. It sounds like you need to push back a little.

Hang in there. I'm sure no one has to tell you to document, document, document everything.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Keep in mind though that you got this information from a person that was just fired. You can't be certain that the DM actually said it. Maybe your bosses were going to speak with the DM before speaking to you so they have all the facts. Try to stay calm until you actually speak with them (easier said than done).
    That's what I was thinking too.. Stay calm she may have been trying to start some last minute trouble on her way out.
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: