Quantcast Minor problems at WDW I observed

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minor problems at WDW I observed

I had the pleasure to once again travel to WDW during the holidays in early December. While the trip was awesome overall (and a needed relief after the year I've had) I did run into some minor problems that I would like to share. While I am grateful and lucky to be able to go to WDW, Disney sort of shoots itself in the foot by portraying itself as perfect. Thus, when it doesn't live up to its own hype, guests may form a negative impression.

My biggest gripe was that several features were broken on PotC. The projection of Davey Jones was broken all three days I was there; the new mermaid feature was broken two of the three days.

Speaking of PotC, I ran into my first bad castmember ever there. When exiting the ride, I asked about the broken features and when they might be fixed. While I realize the cast member might not know, they were very disrespectful and basically told me to go away. I am almost 30, and I commented to my best friend that "kids these days just don't have good manners." Guess that means I'm old now!

Other things were busted here and there, like the fountain in the France pavilion. I was unable to see for myself about Splash Mt. b/c of poor planning (I was unaware it was no longer part of night EMH). Obviously rides go down from time to time, but it seemed like it was more prevalent on this trip, though perception might've trumped reality.

Am I wrong to be upset? I got back on Dec 11 and it still bugs me. Perhaps I will contact Disnet to complain, but I wouldn't know who to write and doubt it would accomplish anything. Thanks for listening to me vent and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by DisneyGlutton; 12-27-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the bad experience. You can contact Disney via this e-mail address:

[email protected]
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you're wrong to be upset. We all have our disappointments and I think we're entitled to our feelings. As far as ride elements not working, this seems to have become the norm and I think they should know that it has an effect on guest experience. So, yes, write in. Especially if it makes you feel better to say something. I hope they respond and get better at this sort of thing.

But there are plenty of kids these days who have excellent manners, so please don't chalk it up to "kids these days." You had a bad experience with a CM, and I think that it's equally likely to find an older CM with poor manners. I'm glad you didn't. But age isn't necessarily the issue.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Being a local annual passholder I have to comment on this. I noticed the lack of maintenance and the growing number of unfriendly CM's about a year an a half ago. Now, I run into more and more people who are noticing the same things on their yearly visits. I thought it was just because we visit so often. We were in Epcot about 2 weeks ago and we ran into the rudest CM ever. We had rented a wheelchair for my husband's grandfather (our first time renting one) and we figured it would be ok to take it to our car since he couldn't walk. No one had told us we couldn't when we rented it. So as we were going through the exit turnstile, the CM yelled at us, "Where do you think you are going with that?" We explained we were going to DHS to see Fantasmic. He responded, "Not with the chair you're not!" We then told him we parked in the parking lot and were just going to take it to our car. As my husband was telling him this, he literally pushes my husband out of the way from the wheelchair with his body to read the back of the chair. I couldn't believe it! I did write to Disney and I did get a response. However, this is not the first time we have encountered a very rude CM. It was just the first one to be physical with us. Our passes expire in July and we will not be renewing them after this. As for rude CM's, I get it. Some work long hours, get payed next to nothing, and have to deal with less than nice guests. I know because I used to work at the MK as a CP. But, rude CM's are becoming the norm. And taking out your frustration on other guests is only going to make whatever issues you have worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the contact info, Faline. I used my post as the basis of my email and revised and added some stuff. We'll see what kind of response I get.

SBETig, you are right that age isn't necessarily the issue.

You make an excellent point about CM's, honeebee86. I do know they are pitifully paid. However, I was very respectful with my question (or at least I thought I was).

-Josh

Pop Century May 2005

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds as if you went not only expecting, but knowing that not all features are working. Splash Mountain is known to have some figures not moving, and you seem disappointed not to have encountered them.
    If the biggest fault you could find in your vacation is that Davey Jones wasn't working, it's a pretty good vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    It sounds as if you went not only expecting, but knowing that not all features are working. Splash Mountain is known to have some figures not moving, and you seem disappointed not to have encountered them.
    If the biggest fault you could find in your vacation is that Davey Jones wasn't working, it's a pretty good vacation.
    See, this is why stuff doesn't get fixed. Too many are OK with WDW's complacency.
    When I spell out $2000 on a vacation to the "Happiest Place on Earth", I expect the rides/attractions to be in working order. I know stuff breaks down, but how long has Splash Mountain been in disrepair?
    Broken down animatronics/effects should NOT be the status quo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia74 View Post
    See, this is why stuff doesn't get fixed. Too many are OK with WDW's complacency.
    When I spell out $2000 on a vacation to the "Happiest Place on Earth", I expect the rides/attractions to be in working order. I know stuff breaks down, but how long has Splash Mountain been in disrepair?
    Broken down animatronics/effects should NOT be the status quo!
    I completely agree with this. As much as it costs to go to WDW, I feel I have the right to expect my vacation to be almost perfect. The blatant disregard to maintenance and broken attraction features not being repaired for months on end is totally unacceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

We encountered several attractions down during our visit Dec. 6-9th. From Peter Pan to Winnie the Pooh to Tomorrowland Speedway to PotC, they were all down at some point during our trip. Some for a longer period of time than the others. It seemed to be the norm that each day at the MK there would be a ride that we went to get in line for, only to be told it wasn't working and to go checkout the "new Fantasyland". Almost as if they wanted to force more people to the already busiest part of the park during that opening weekend...

We were very disappointed needless to say, that with all the price increases Disney has, that they seemed to be having an increase in problems with rides not functioning properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    I completely agree with this. As much as it costs to go to WDW, I feel I have the right to expect my vacation to be almost perfect. The blatant disregard to maintenance and broken attraction features not being repaired for months on end is totally unacceptable.
    It's not that it has to be PERFECT, but some of the issues going on with Splash make you question even your safety on the ride. I wonder how many people are truly aware of the issues Splash has beyond the animatronics not working properly. Then you have to wonder what other rides are on the verge of a serious melt down. With everything going on at WDW, I say if you see anything, even minor, speak up! Maybe if we all do, things will get fixed......maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    I wanted to see Splash Mountain for myself as I said, but I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised and to find it in good shape. I had not heard anything about PotC. If declining standards of maintanence do not bother other people, I am happy for them. However, I was sad to see my beloved park not being properly taken care, and obviously some of the posters after you agree. It did not by any means ruin my trip; I say so in my opening lines that I had a great time. I must say though, what pooh0601 says is very troubling. As I wrote in my email to Disney, I am a huge fan and one of my biggest dream in life is to walk down Main Street with a family of my own; however, my loyalty is not infinite, even for Disney.

-Josh

Pop Century May 2005

Post Thanks / Like

i noticed the smoke davey jones effect on POC not working. and a few other things...
    thought it was funny they said about cutbacks on CMs, but they still had CM takings surveys. then at off times i say numerous CMS at places .
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

They got back to me finally. It was basically worthless. They apologized about my poor CM experiences but ignored everything else I mentioned. I really hope my last trip was a fluke and things will improve. I don't understand why Disney would get cheap all of a sudden. If they had a massive drop in revenues, then I would understand, but as far as I know, that hasn't happened.

-Josh

Pop Century May 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGlutton View Post
    They got back to me finally. It was basically worthless. They apologized about my poor CM experiences but ignored everything else I mentioned. I really hope my last trip was a fluke and things will improve. I don't understand why Disney would get cheap all of a sudden. If they had a massive drop in revenues, then I would understand, but as far as I know, that hasn't happened.
    I'm not sure it was entirely worthless, though I understand that the responses are often underwhelming. I would like to think that it all adds up and every negative comment will count to eventually make a difference. Overly optimistic?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I'm not sure it was entirely worthless, though I understand that the responses are often underwhelming. I would like to think that it all adds up and every negative comment will count to eventually make a difference. Overly optimistic?
    You have the right attitude, and I wish that was my thinking as well. However, unless there is a mass exodus of guests to Universal or elsewhere, I don't think WDW will care. I don't know enough about the goings on behind the scenes to know why, but it's very disheartening. The Disney brand stands for top notch quality, and broken rides, rude CMs, etc hurt that brand.

-Josh

Pop Century May 2005

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: