Quantcast Hollywood Studios needs big help - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

On our four most recent trips, Hollywood Studios has become our least-visited park. The shame is: it has two or three of the best rides on property. But we usually go in October and I guess that's not a good time to go because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on. The backlot tour has been very short and uneventful when we've ridden it. (Maybe it's shortened to prepare for Osborne Lights. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.) The Great Movie Ride is in need of an update (refurb). I'm not a fan of Lights, Motor, Action!

One reason we used to LOVE to go here was the shopping opportunities. My favorite place on property used to be Mouse About Town. They used to have plenty of clothing options for men. Now, it's all generic. it's the same here as any other park, as well as Downtown Disney. So, even on a 10-day stay, we only spent one day there, and it wasn't even a full day. We slept in and started late. Bummer!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I go to DHS, the more its turning into 1 half day park on a week long vacation like AK. Unless I go with a newbie, I skip most of the shows and will even skip any rides that have longer than half hour wait.
    Rob
    2/90 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
    2/92, 94, 98 - Beach Club
    2/96 - Dixie Landings
    2/99, 00 - All Star Sports
    5/05 - Pop Century
    5/07 - Coronado Springs
    8/08 - Beach Club Villas
    4/10 - Wilderness Lodge Villas
    8/12 - Disneyland (offsite)
    11/13 - Beach Club Villas

DVC Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bruin1344 View Post
    The more I go to DHS, the more its turning into 1 half day park on a week long vacation like AK. Unless I go with a newbie, I skip most of the shows and will even skip any rides that have longer than half hour wait.
    I haven't been to a show at DHS since they dumped the Hunchback.

Post Thanks / Like

Our experience this time has been similar, very little CM interaction, just a lot of arm waving to say "hurry up" and pointing where to go. At ToT the CM didn't say anything besides telling us where to stand and which row boards first. The Great Movie ride was the only exception with the CM actually talking outside the script a tiny bit, trying to talk with my DS a little. it actually makes me very sad because its my mom's and my DS's first time and they are getting to see a lot of crowds, wait times and missing the nice, fun CM interaction that used to make Disney different from other parks. So far we've been to 3 of the 4 (going to AK today) and that has been our experience at every park. sad.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

The week after Thanksgiving I was there. You missed going on the TOT and having a manager tell you what row you would be in. I guess a cast member was sick??, and the manager(I'm guessing) had to fill in. He was wearing a regular shirt, no costume.
    First visit 1976
    Offsite 1982/1985/2000
    Disneyland July 1996
    AKL 2002/Sept 2011
    Paradise Pier-DL July 2005
    Contemporary Sept 2006/Nov 2014
    Port Orleans-Riverside Sept 2008/July 2014/Nov 2018
    Port Orleans-FQ-Nov 2012
    Paradise Pier-DLH DL 2013/2015/2017 and D-23 Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    The week after Thanksgiving I was there. You missed going on the TOT and having a manager tell you what row you would be in. I guess a cast member was sick??, and the manager(I'm guessing) had to fill in. He was wearing a regular shirt, no costume.
    And people will make excuses for this behavior. Its inexcusable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    I would love to say the mic wasn't working on the GMR, however we were in the third row. Both cast members were mumbling and so bored. It was disgusting. The guy behind us said both should be let go. I agree.
    This makes me sad! I worked at GMR for 2.5 years, and took pride in having a good show
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    And people will make excuses for this behavior. Its inexcusable.
    Um...what is? Managers jump into positions all the time. There is nothing wrong with that
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

If they just replaced that stupid American Idol Experience with something of substance then Hollywood Studios would be substantially better.
    First trip: 1999 AS Movies
    Stayed since at: AS Music, AS Sports, Contemporary, Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans FQ
    Next visit: October 15-22, 2016 [Port Orleans French Quarter]

"In dreams you will lose your heartache.."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Um...what is? Managers jump into positions all the time. There is nothing wrong with that
    What?! This isnt a grocery store check out line. They are called "castmembers" for a reason; because they are actors on stage. As such, its no different than a manager in street clothes taking the place of an actor on a stage production.

Oh, and you proved my point.

Post Thanks / Like

Was in DHS on Dec 9th and the crowds were very high. I usually go at this time due to a lower crowd right before the Christmas breaks at school but I was in shock. There were long lines and sometimes wall to wall people. I didn't see any castmembers lazying around but people were grumpy because it was really humid and crowds everywhere. The ToT went out on one side so the wait time got up to around 80 min or so. Other than that we pretty much saw everything in the parks and had a great time at 50's PrimeTime for dinner.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

What?! This isnt a grocery store check out line. They are called "castmembers" for a reason; because they are actors on stage. As such, its no different than a manager in street clothes taking the place of an actor on a stage production.

Oh, and you proved my point.
    Stuff happens. A location could be short staffed for many reasons- call outs, people leaving because of feeling sick, meetings to go to, busier then expected, ect. Managers are trained, so there is no reason why they can't jump in to help out. I've worked at Disney for over 7 years, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sorry you feel differently
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Stuff happens. A location could be short staffed for many reasons- call outs, people leaving because of feeling sick, meetings to go to, busier then expected, ect. Managers are trained, so there is no reason why they can't jump in to help out. I've worked at Disney for over 7 years, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sorry you feel differently
    Stop making excuses for Disney. With the exhorbitant $$ they charge for admission, it should never happen. Period.

This isn't Six Flags, or Dollywood.
    Last edited by CanadianWDWFan; 12-16-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: TOS - Personal attack

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't cry if they tore it down and started completely over..My least fav park.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not making excuses. And last time I checked, people are human (and not robots). So stuff will happen.
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

We were there from 12/1 to 12/8 and I have to say that the only issue I had with HS was trying to find the entrance to American Idol. We were sent over to the side by Star Tours, we were sent around back then we were sent back around to the front. It was exactly where I thought it was but since there wasn't anyone in line we thought it was the wrong place. And the CMs sending us all over the place actually worked AT American Idol!!
    Other than that, it was a nice time.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

After seeing the Hobbit, I wish so much that they would buy the rights for a Lord of the Rings attraction. I know that wouldn't help with the random identity of the part though
    Caribbean Beach '91
    Dixie Landings '96
    Coronado Springs '11
    Kidani Village '15

Post Thanks / Like

Stop making excuses for Disney. With the exorbitant $$ they charge for admission, it should never happen. Period.
    What should never happen? People should never be sick? You think that money will fix that? Or, do you think that Disney should overstaff, and just have people waiting in the wings if someone else is sick or can't work for some reason? Back-up Cast Members whose sole purpose is to be on-call in case a regular goes down?

Are you serious? There is absolutely *nothing* wrong with a manager stepping in from time to time as needed.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the GMR, i've found it to be hit or miss over the years. We've had a lot of great CMs work that ride, including when we went on it a month ago. A bubbly, blonde young lady who did a great job. She had good timing, enthusiasm, etc. My only complaint was with the microphone that the gangster was using. We were sitting right behind the driver, and I still had a hard time hearing some of his comments.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the poster was upset that a manager stepped in. I think his/her frustration was more that he was not in costume.

The problem with HS is not the cast members. It's a larger issue of an unorganized theme park that lacks vision. We've said this time and time again. The backlot tour needs a serious overhaul. And by overall, I mean we need a new ride back there.

The problem is that its too hard/expensive to constantly keep up with new movie trends and movie markets. By the time Disney would have planned and built a new attraction around a movie (or movie market), the movie is no longer fresh. I get the sense that a lot of attractions are out of touch. American Idol was awesome when the show first started, but I don't know if its as popular as what it used to be.

We've talked about GMR a lot here and my feelings are that it does need adjustments. The script needs to be updated. For heaven's sake that ride offers nothing new. I understand that not everyone has gone since childhood and memorized the script, but it has not changed one bit in 20 years. To be frank, I think frequent Disney-goers are bored there.

But what do I know? Those are just my feelings about the place.

I hope its the next major overhaul park and some better counter service dining. I still love it even though.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: