Quantcast really, Disney? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: really, Disney?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Unfortunately when your a resort open 24/7 365 days a year you will always upset someone when a system needs to come down to be upgraded.

And backing up a system with one that works as smoothly as the one in place never happens.

Best you can do is grin and bear it. A bad day at WDW still beats a good day here at work if you ask me.
    I get that. I really do, but if they make an error that costs me, I should be compensated.

Look, if I decided 45 days before my vacation to change my reservations, Disney would have hit me up for $250. If I didnt cancel my ADR at Le Cellier with 24 hours, Disney would have popped me for $40. No matter what excuse I gave them, they would have charged me. PERIOD. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to live up to their word or pay ME.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, unbelievable is an understatement. So sorry to hear about what you're going through. I would have taken a photo of the parking lot view and gone back to the front desk. We got stuck in a really rotten room at OKW one time (after we were told we had a river view) and they switched me pronto.
    I hope things turn around for you in a hurry. My wife and I check in at OKW on Sunday and I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Disney right now. I've been trying to do the online check-in since Monday, but the system has been unavailable, so it sounds like this whole mess got started a little early.
    PS: You're right about the fact that Disney covers <itself> in terms of cancellations and missed reservations, but they're not so quick to atone when they screw up.
    Last edited by Melanie; 12-05-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Language

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the trip started out on a bad note...hopefully things will get back on track by morning...if I felt strongly that I had lost value on my vacation purchase I would go the squeaky wheel route too.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

It appears the system is back up now. I just ran a reservation quote for a client and it seemed to be fine. Hopefully things will turn around for you now. Sorry you have had a bad time.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Might have been Disney company wide and not just WDW. Made some reservations for Disneyland and had some issues. Notation at the top of the page that they were undergoing some upgrades and there might be some issues.

If it's any consolation, CM's don't get off much better. They upgrade Workbrain and the Cast Deployment System (CDS) what seems like monthly or at least very often. Messes up what we see as our work schedules a lot for the time it takes to do the upgrade. You can imagine what a mess that can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Things like this are bound to happen in this day and age.

I'm sure the CMs are just as frustrated as the guests.

Best to not stress over this kind of occurrence. It doesn't help the situation.

I hope these issues get resolved a.s.a.p., but complaining about having to pay OOP when its not a problem for you, and complaining about your room placement/implying that you should have gotten an upgrade doesn't seem productive at this point. Everyone is in the same boat. Enjoy your vacation and try to trust that Disney will work it out to your satisfaction.
    I don't know about that - if I was there, I'd be pretty ticked. In fact, you might want to listen to the next INTERCOT Insider Podcast that will come out in a week.

It just seems systematic lately in that project plans aren't being thought about well enough as far as their impact on guests. I had a HUGE issue happen to me during our anniversary celebration.

Hoping things are ok by the time I get there later this morning.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I get that. I really do, but if they make an error that costs me, I should be compensated.

Look, if I decided 45 days before my vacation to change my reservations, Disney would have hit me up for $250. If I didnt cancel my ADR at Le Cellier with 24 hours, Disney would have popped me for $40. No matter what excuse I gave them, they would have charged me. PERIOD. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to live up to their word or pay ME.
    To me - asking a guest that is spending thousands of dollars on what might be a once in a lifetime trip - to grin and bear it is unacceptable.

If the system being down inconveniences your guests, you better have a back up plan in place and a method to handle complaints/inconveniences including possible compensation.

Many folks (most of us excluded) don't get a second chance to make their memories. Most of us are very fortunate to be able to go there every year or even multiple times a year. Things we might be able to brush off, will scar vacation memories for others.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

A Big Kid:

I'm sorry that you feel that I was being patronizing. Honestly, that was not my intention and I apologize if it came off the wrong way.

Trust me, I know all about screw ups. I had my own snafus at my resort during ICOT15, so I get it. It is frustrating. I was pretty angry as well, but they did make it right. All it took was some effort on my part to speak to the appropriate managment and everything was dealt with to my satisfaction. I spent a couple hours being upset and whining about it, but then I realized that would get me nowhere and I had to take action with the manager. That is what I meant about being productive. Complaining here is unproductive at this point. Go complain to someone who has the power to make it right.

You said in your original post that Disney told you they would reimburse you for any OOP Dining Plan expenses later. Why are you so quick to assume that they won't? That was the reason for why I posted what I did. And, your room assignment had nothing to do with the system being down. Looking out to the parking lot is not "unacceptable" unless you booked an upgraded room category that they are trying to pass off.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make here is that when you are dependent on technology during your vacation, you have to know that there is always a possibility that the technology won't work correctly. If you want a vacation where this type of thing never happens, there are places you can go where you'll be "off the grid" totally.

We all know how reliable Disney's technology is.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaving for the world on friday and just called to check on things. ITS STILL DOWN. I could not do a thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom2000 View Post
    It appears the system is back up now. I just ran a reservation quote for a client and it seemed to be fine.
    You now run quotes and look up ADR times on the web site. HOWEVER, you can't actually BOOK anything. Yesterday, if you tried to make ADRs on-line the site told you the system was undergoing maintenance and you couldn't do anything. Last night it let you get all the way through the process, including entering a credit card number, but when you click on the confirm button, you got a server error and were kicked out of the system. Really bad show.

According to the CMs I've spoken with, there were some backup procedures in place. Unfortunately, those procedures included every dining plan purchase having to be verified by the resort that credits were available. The problem there was that the resorts didn't have the staff to handle the load plus it turned out that the resorts didn't have access to the dining plan information either. As a systems guy, I'm amazed at Disney's apparent lack of understanding of how their systems work (or don't, as the case may be).

John, I hope your check-in goes well. Hopefully, for Disney's sake, they will get their systems back up before the press folks get here en masse.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    A Big Kid:

Trust me, I know all about screw ups. I had my own snafus at my resort during ICOT15, so I get it. It is frustrating. I was pretty angry as well, but they did make it right. All it took was some effort on my part to speak to the appropriate managment and everything was dealt with to my satisfaction. I spent a couple hours being upset and whining about it, but then I realized that would get me nowhere and I had to take action with the manager. That is what I meant about being productive. Complaining here is unproductive at this point. Go complain to someone who has the power to make it right.

You said in your original post that Disney told you they would reimburse you for any OOP Dining Plan expenses later. Why are you so quick to assume that they won't? That was the reason for why I posted what I did. And, your room assignment had nothing to do with the system being down. Looking out to the parking lot is not "unacceptable" unless you booked an upgraded room category that they are trying to pass off.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make here is that when you are dependent on technology during your vacation, you have to know that there is always a possibility that the technology won't work correctly. If you want a vacation where this type of thing never happens, there are places you can go where you'll be "off the grid" totally.

We all know how reliable Disney's technology is.
    stop digging when you hit the bottom.

This is the only place i voiced my opinion.

I never even suggested that i was concerned about not getting reimbursed. Not sure how you got there. My point was simple. We had a contract. I paid. I upheld my end of the contract and if I didnt, i would have to pay up. Disney didnt uphold their end
    And i just have to deal with it

Post Thanks / Like

I hope now that the Disney computer "seems" to be up and running everyone can have a blessed, magical day

May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just able to complete an entire ADR transaction on-line. I either got very lucky of the systems are coming back up.

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry, but Disney has become so dependent on computers for so much, there is NO excuse for an upgrade to have to paralyze the property 4 times a year. Disney's systems are extensive no doubt, but there are plenty of extensive computer systems in the world that NEVER go down, EVER, because they just can't. Why Disney does not have total system redundancy so that they can upgrade system 1 and still function on system 2 is beyond me.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I am sorry, but Disney has become so dependent on computers for so much, there is NO excuse for an upgrade to have to paralyze the property 4 times a year. Disney's systems are extensive no doubt, but there are plenty of extensive computer systems in the world that NEVER go down, EVER, because they just can't. Why Disney does not have total system redundancy so that they can upgrade system 1 and still function on system 2 is beyond me.
    Completely agree. How often do you see Amazon go down? Just about never.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    Why Disney does not have total system redundancy so that they can upgrade system 1 and still function on system 2 is beyond me.
    It's actually quite simple. Redundant and back-up systems cost money. And spending money is something that TDO does not do willingly. Extremely poor management IMHO.

Steve

Most Recent Visit:
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the largest FAILS on Disney's part that I've read about in a long time. I agree with all that you're feeling. This would be utterly reprehensible if I had to deal with this on vacation. The worst computer glitch I've experienced was a room key not opening my room door immediately after check-in. Of course they want to blame me or my cell phone for that despite the key having no contact with the phone whatsoever.

This is definitely not the vacation from which dreams are made. It sounds like the only magic being spread is black magic.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow. That is really awful. So sorry you're dealing with all this. I agree that you should be compensated somehow. I hope you take these issues to management. I realize it's probably happening to everyone else who checked in during this problem, but as a guest, that is not your problem. It's completely reasonable to expect the package you paid for to be in place. Hope they make it right and that you're able to experience some magic on this trip! Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like

If this had happened to me I would really be up a creek without a paddle. I budget my vacation very tightly and may not have had extra money to buy the food that I had prepaid on the DDP. Don't misunderstand I would work it out and feed my family but instead of sit downs we would be at the food courts and snack carts. I just wouldn't have the extra money. I would not let it ruin my vacation but I would be dissapointed and upset.

I would think Disney would lose some money with families spending souvenier money, boat rental money and other extras on food.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's the principal . . .

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    (my underline)

Abso-d*amn-lutely.

If I am unlucky enough to have this happen to me while at Disney, I will write to them, once I am home. And continue writing, up the ladder, until enough people get the message.

It's like insurance companies, etc. We must abide by their rules - why isn't it a two way street? I may be tilting at windmills, but I will still tilt.

Jan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: