Quantcast Port Orleans Riverside or Coronado Springs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Port Orleans Riverside or Coronado Springs

We are planning a trip December 2013. It will be my husband and myself, ages 56-60. What are your thoughts on the two resorts. Do you prefer one over the other and why.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!

DW and I are in the same age bracket and our personal favorite is Riverside.

Both resorts are wonderful - I don't think you will be disappointed with either - but we enjoy the ambience of Riverside more. We particularly like the Aligator Bayou section of POR. It's just very quiet, and relaxing. The separate buildings there give a more secluded feeling than the Mansions section.

Added pluses for POR are the boat ride to Downtown Disney, the food court (very nice with lots of great choices) and Boatwrights - the table service restaurant. Coronado Springs has a lot of amenities as well, since it is a convention resort, but we just prefer Riverside.

It really comes down to how you feel about the specific themeing - Deep South or Mexico.

Have a great time!

Steve
    First visit: Disneyland, July 17, 1955 (well, somebody had to be there on opening day!)

Most Recent Visit:
    Disneyland - June 21-25, 2017
    WDW - Sep 22 - Oct 5, 2019
    Next up: WDW - May 9 - 16, 2020 at Riviera!
    Dec 5 - 16, 2020 at Poly

Post Thanks / Like

We also are close in age, and I just really like CS. We stayed there this New Year's and it was really wonderful. We stayed at POFQ last New Year's and I really didn't care for it, although Riverside does have a slightly different feel to it...and I do enjoy the boat ride to DTD. One thing about that time of year though...it can get really chilly on those boats.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot!!!

We have never stayed at coronado springs but we have friends who have. They said they aren't a fan of the rooms or the food court.

We have stayed at riverside (formally Dixie landings as my family still calls it) and we love it there. In fact, we frequent the food court even when we don't stay there. We love the ambiance of the resort. We stayed in the newly renovated rooms for 2 nights in December and they were great! Smelled so new! My vote is for Port orleans riverside
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

I've been a big fan of Coronado Springs for years. I love the room decor (lovely blues and browns) and the grounds are gorgeous. Not much to complain about here in my book. Only recently, in the past year, have I become a big Riverside fan as well. We stayed in the Mansions area in a Princess room and I loved it! Gorgeous!

So for me, either is a winner.

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed in both....prefer CS

POR - not a fan of the bayou section but do like the mansions. Buses can get packed and, since they share with French Quarter, can pass you by if they are full, Food court is great as is the pool.

CS -very large but that never bothered me. Since it is a convention center has some deluxe-y amenities. Food court gets mixed reviews but it was fine when I tried it.

You didn't mention FQ as a choice....and it is a very popular one. Its small and I like the New Orleans feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ...

CS - enjoyed due to Queen beds if getting a double room. Peaceful, nice food court, really cool pool.

POR - not as unique in design IMO. However, the grounds, sidewalks and Poole area are beautiful.

To me, POR seems more relaxing and CS seems little more like resort. You can't go wrong.
    1999 Holiday Inn SunSpree
    2000 DTD Hotel
    2003 CBR
    2005 CSR
    2007 AKL

2009 POR
    2011 Coronado/Hard Rock

Post Thanks / Like

Slam dunk, Coronado! It has the best themed landscape of all the moderate by far. The pool is best as well. You'll love the food court because of all the great options, and the Maya Grill has some phenomenal dishes. The room decor is classy but themed very well. And the bus service is excellent.

Riverside was my first resort to visit. I expected it to be great. Unfortunately, we got shoved into the Alligator Bayou section, and it was lousy. Looks like old apartment buildings. The mansions look cool, but there's no guarantee you'll get one. And I didn't like the bus service there. Seemed to take forever waiting to go to the parks.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pors

Love PORS, and like Aligator Bayou, closer to everything. Like the boat ride back from downtown disney. Being from California, we like the southern theming-have enough Mexican stuff here!

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me for being presumptious. But if ya'll are an older couple, the smaller land area of the POFQ might appeal to you.

(Ill take my lashes with a wet noodle now.)

Post Thanks / Like

we love POR...the mansions in particular(which we have gotten everytime we requested them) ...the grounds at POR are among the nicest at any WDW resort...and the ability to take the boat to downtown disney is a perk that CS does not have.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I love both. I can't decide based on just theming since both are great and I love the restaurants. I'll give POR the slight edge because I really liked Riverside Mill, and I've read that Pepper Market has devolved over the years to a shell of its former self.

Awesome to have to choose between two awesome resorts.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

We are also big fans of both resorts.
    Both now have queen size beds. POR has recently been rehabbed so the rooms would be fresh. Both are beautiful in their own way. We love the shade and meandering paths of Alligator Bayou. POR has the air conditioning units under the window which are rather loud turning off and on all night. CSR is like central air. Definitely like the POR food court better -- love the make-your-own-way pasta, salad and oatmeal especially. Just a little thing, but I missed the jazz music in the background at POR, just prefer it to the music at CSR. Love the door closing off the sink area from the rest of the room at CSR, felt like a private dressing room.

See?! They are both GREAT!!!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    and I've read that Pepper Market has devolved over the years to a shell of its former self.

Awesome to have to choose between two awesome resorts.
    I've not found this to be true at all. If you can get past the strange set up (card stamp, wait staff - like it's always been), there are really some good offerings here. Can't wait to stay at CSR again in January!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sainter View Post
    Love the door closing off the sink area from the rest of the room at CSR, felt like a private dressing room.
    Yes, this is also a big plus for CSR. The sliding WOOD door is superior to the curtains at the other moderates. Much more privacy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I've not found this to be true at all. If you can get past the strange set up (card stamp, wait staff - like it's always been), there are really some good offerings here. Can't wait to stay at CSR again in January!
    Glad to hear it. We really enjoyed Pepper Market back in 1999, but that was so long ago, I feared the things I heard might be true.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    When we stayed at POFQ last October we had a wooden sliding door separating the bath from the bedroom area. I don't think CSR holds that feature exclusively.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    When we stayed at POFQ last October we had a wooden sliding door separating the bath from the bedroom area. I don't think CSR holds that feature exclusively.
    Oh, didn't realize that. We stayed at FQ in July and did not have a sliding door. We were in building 4.

Post Thanks / Like

That is so weird! We were also in building 4 on the far side on the first floor.
    Did yours have a curtain?
    It seems to me that they would all have the same interiors!

I just called POFQ housekeeping, some rooms do have sliding doors and some have curtains. She said the rooms set up for disabled persons have doors. We didn't have a roll in tub, however... So that is the difference! I thought this is a great place to charge my ECV!
    Last edited by disneydeb; 10-07-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: called to make sure I wasn't crazy!
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    I just called POFQ housekeeping, some rooms do have sliding doors and some have curtains. She said the rooms set up for disabled persons have doors. We didn't have a roll in tub, however... So that is the difference! I thought this is a great place to charge my ECV!
    That explains it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: