Quantcast Twins TS review Sept 2nd to 16th

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Twins TS review Sept 2nd to 16th

My Twin sister (Jeniflower) and I were at Disney form the 2nd to the 16th of September and went to quite a few restaurants. Here is the review of all the table service ones.

Liberty Tree Tavern (Lunch) – We had gone here for lunch on our last trip and really enjoyed it so decided to come back. Jeniflower had the colony salad and since they have stopped serving the roast beef sandwich (boo) I had the cheeseburger. The food itself was lovely but the service was slow. It was a good meal but nothing special and I probably won’t come back for a while.

Coral Reef – This is our second time coming back to this restaurant and once again we loved it. We got to sit next to the tank and a ray kept coming up to look at us which was really cool. Jeni had the lobster ravoli and I had the seared chicken breast with spaetzle. Mine was gorgeous – never had spaetzle before and it was lovely and the chicken was so moist and tender. Jeni liked the ravoli but it was a little too rich for her. For dessert we I had the key lime mouse which was also lovely and Jeni had the chocolate wave – very very chocolaty but not too much. We will definitely come back here again.

50’s Prime Time Café – thought we would try this again as we had not been since our first trip in 2004. It was ok but not as much fun as I remembered. I had the fried chicken and Jeni went for the chicken pot pie. The food was lovely but the portions were huge. I got four bits of chicken, a huge pile of mash and greens. I would usually struggle to eat 2 bits of fried chicken. Jeni’s chicken pot pie would have fed me and her and 2 others. Could barely manage a few bites of dessert which was a shame because the ice cream sodas were lovely. High point of the meal was the vanilla coke. I wish you could get these in the UK. Enjoyed the meal but probably won’t come back here for a while.

Via Napoli – This was the worst meal of the entire trip. The restaurant was very noisy. We were put at the large table in the centre and my sister and I could barely here each other. My sister ordered pasta and I ordered a sausage pizza. We were told the meals wouldn’t arrive together as the pizza is cooked in the main ovens and the pasta in a separate kitchen (you would think it would be possible to coordinate this somehow). The couple across from us said there would be a long gap and that the once of then had finished their pasta before the pizza even arrived. Well Jeni’s pasta came and then about 5 minutes later my pizza arrived and they were both just bland. I could have made them better myself at home. I can’t even remember what we had for dessert – it wasn’t that memorable. We both wanted to leave at this point but our server had vanished off the face of the earth. We would glimpse her briefly in other parts of the restaurant and try to get her attention but get ignored. Eventually the manager came over and got her for us and then her attitude was awful. Demanded out key to the world card and stomped off, when she came back then she hovered about – clearly wanting to see what tip she would get. Well since the service was awful the tip was too. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone and we won’t be coming back.

Tony’s Town Square – This was the best meal of the trip. Our server was great, the food was great, I love the theming of this restaurant and I will be coming back. I had the braised lamb shank which was beautiful and Jeni had the strip steak which was also gorgeous. We both had the pistachio crème brulee which was heavenly. The whole experience was lovely.

Yak & Yeti – Another nice restaurant. I had the Tempura shrimp and Jeni had the Kobe beef burger. Both were lovely. For dessert I had the fried wontons which were very good but I would have been happy with just the pineapple and Jeni had the trio of sorbet also very good. Our only issue was the server who while very nice took my key to the world card at the start of the meal saying she would only need it a moment and didn’t return it till the half way through which was a bit nerve wracking.

Hollywood Brown Derby – I love this restaurant. It is beautifully designed and feels so elegant and the food is always lovely. I had the spit roast which tender and gorgeous and Jeni had the duck 2 ways which was also beautiful. For dessert I had a crème brulee and Jeni had the chocolate 3 ways. A great meal and as we were seated on the far side of the restaurant lots of time for people watching.

San Angel Inn – Always wanted to eat here so we thought we would give it a go this time. The restaurant was empty when we got there for lunch around 2pm. Despite this it felt crowded as the tables are so close together. Our server could barely make out what we were saying and seemed happier serving the ladies who came after us who could speak Spanish. The food itself was good I enjoyed the barrater con chilaquiles (steak) and Jeni the pescado a la veracruzana (fish). It took a while to come out though so we were munching on the tortilla chips for a while. We both had the floating islands for dessert. Mine seemed very limey but Jeni’s had no hint of lime at all. It was another effort to get the server to come back so we could pay and leave. I am glad I tried it but I don’t think I’d go back and I actually preferred the food from the counter service outside.

Liberty Tree Tavern – We came back here for dinner during the Halloween party. It was very crowded and we had to wait a bit after our reservation time to get seated. It was also difficult to hear the announcements for people to come get a table. The food was lovely but we could have used more beef and pork and less turkey. I loved the mash and macaroni cheese and Jeni the veggies that came with. Low point for me was the dessert. Took one bite and I couldn’t swallow it. Really truly horrible. However Jeni got a laugh at all the faces I was pulling. I had to spit it out in the end. Made it out of the restaurant half way through the boo to you Halloween parade and got a really good spot to see it.

Tokyo Dining – This was our last night at the parks before having to fly home the next evening. This is a lovely restaurant and I would come here again. My sister and I both had bento boxes – mine with the mixed grill and Jeni’s with the steak. I loved these I had everything bar the cucumber tempura but that’s just because I hate cucumber. Jeni enjoyed hers too and she really liked the miso soup. I had the green tea pudding for dessert and Jeni had the ginger cake. They were ok but nothing special. If we came back I would have some sushi. Other people around us were eating it and it looked lovely. I especially loved the picture on the wall that changed to show different Japanese scenes.

Whispering Canyon Café – We came here for breakfast on our last day. We love staying in wilderness lodge but have never eaten here as it seemed quite mad. However since it was going to be a long day and a long trip home (Sob) we decided to eat breakfast here. I had the eggs Benedict and Jeni had the 2 eggs with bacon. My eggs Benedict were lovely and I really enjoyed the potatoes that came with it. Jeni liked here eggs but found the meal a bit too much to manage. Our server was funny but she kept vanishing and forgetting important things like spoons to stir our coffee and tea and the butter for Jeni’s biscuit but we didn’t mind that much. Again it was nice to try but not really for us.

Overall – most of the table restaurants were good and we only had a couple of bad experiences. I liked having the free dining plan but I wished I could swap a dessert for an appetiser sometimes. I also can’t wait till the be our guest restaurant opens in Magic Kingdom because it is in need of another table service restaurant that doesn’t have characters.

Counter service review to follow
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Via Napoli became one of our new favorites, so I'm surprised that it was so bad for you. The pizza, when we had it, was excellent. But we all had pizza, so there was no problem with staggered service. That would bother me, too. Of course they could wait and put the pasta order in when the pizza was near done. That needs to be adjusted. Not a good way to serve. Thanks for the reports.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip. Glad someone else seems to like Tony's as much as I do. It's always been our favorite but seems to get slammed in reviews quite often.
    Many trips as a child offsite
    1995 Disney Cruise/Old key west
    New Years 2001 Caribbean Beach Resort
    March 2006 Offsite
    Sept 2010 Coronado Springs Resort
    November 2013 POR
    Sept/oct 2014 cars room at AOA
    Next trip: too long!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing!

I had to bump Via Napoli from our plans (again) this trip ... and I feel better hearing it wasn't great.

But, I'm super surprised about the service issues, getting food out together is really a basic item ... my local place manages to serve the pizza and pasta at the same time.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Surprising via Napoli wasn't good for you and your sister.
    This has become one of mine and DH favorite restaurants. The pizza and pasta are always consistently good for us and we are obsessed with the tiramisu and the pistachio gelato! Yum!!
    Looking forward to your other reviews!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear about Tony's being good. That's the ADR I've been worried about. Surprised that San Angel was good, although it sounds like service hasn't improved over the last 10 years.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

A few people seemed surprised Via Napoli was no good for us. There were a few factors involved though
    1. The night we went it was very busy and they were turning people away.
    2. Sitting at the big table just wasn't for us and I would have rather sat away from it but I think they just had to squeeze us in were there was space - they acted like this was a special treat but for us it wasn't.
    3. Getting meals at the same time is a basic requirement and they just couldn't manage it. Our time delay beteween the two wasn't too bad but the couple opposite had waited a long time between the pasta dish and the pizza.
    4. The server was truly dreadful, I don't know if she was having a bad day or what the reason was but when we could see others recieving good service it was a bit disappointing.
    5. The food was nothing special. I had heard the pizza was really good and when mine came it was disappointing and not all that warm and I could have easily made my sisters pasta at home and it would have tasted better.
    The whole experince was bad for us and just put us off. If they change the menu to be a bit more varied I might go back but currently I wouldn't.
    It could have just been a bad night for us though and as I said originally there were many people there who seemed to be enjoying it.
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed your reviews thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reviews, sounds like most of your meals were pretty good.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: