Quantcast BrerSchultzy's "This Should Not Have Been the Best Trip Ever" Trip Report - Day 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default BrerSchultzy's "This Should Not Have Been the Best Trip Ever" Trip Report - Day 2

CAST:
    Me - Drinking Airborne, Emergen-C and anything else that will keep me from getting the sick my family has.
    DW (named Erin, by the way)- Starting to feel "not like death"
    DS (Sam)- Still running a bit of a fever, but Disney fever is stronger.
    DD (Zetta) - Teething. But still cute.

So, the morning of our second day, we have a fundamental shift in our regular Disney touring practices. See, I have become Mr. Arrive Early! EMH, especially morning EMH, has always been my friend. But a little voice in my head told me to avoid EMH this week. With MNSSHP shutting down MK a couple of nights this week, and the crowds being so light (and, I noticed, very Disney savvy), we decided to avoid any parks with EMH, morning or evening. See, we dont park hop...we have a baby and a 4 year old, and we don't really think hopping is worth the extra money. Today, Epcot had Morning EMH. So we decided to try Animal Kingdom.

One would think this level of paradigm shift would cause more of a reaction than "okay, did you get my coffee" from DW, but it didn't. Maybe I over-plan.

Two Nescafes later, we are on the bus to AK. We arrive at AK at 9:00 AM exactly, and we revel in our selection of parks. We felt like we had AK all to ourselves. DS did not want a stroller, so we walk together to KS. And we walked directly onto the Safari!

This might be a good time to point out that we've only ever gone in the summer. Hence my excitement about the lack of lines.

Anyway, we get on the Safari, and the row behind us is a Driver trainer and two other drivers getting pointers from the trainer. It was fascinating! I kept hearing the trainees ask if certain facts that our Driver was using were "approved facts". And the Trainer would interject some of his favorite facts to use. Quite frankly, I remember very little of what they said, but I got an inside scoop on two things I was curious about:
    1. When we got to the Savannah, the grass was VERY overgrown (as has been mentioned in other posts) and the Tommies were not out (a disappointment to DS and myself, as they are our favorites). According to the Trainer, the Tommies are being released later in the day than other savannah animals, due to dietary restrictions. And the grass is overgrown in spots to add to the visual appeal of the Savannah. Apparently too much open space made the Safari look like other theme park safaris.
    2. The Zebras enclosure is going to be a major deal, and should be mostly done by the end of the fall -- they recently removed all the plants that could be seen as dangerous to the Zebras.

Also, the Trainer mentioned something about the possibility of a permanent installation of the old night-time safari. I remember riding this the only time I've been down for Christmas, and thinking it was kind of neat, but there were so few animals. It'll be interesting to see how they pull this off.

Anyway, we left the Safari, and DW decided to take DS on ITTAB. Now, I don't do ITTAB. It gives me the heebie jeebies. So DD and I set out on a churro quest. These were both bad decisions. Turns out DS hates bugs as much as I do, and he begged to leave the show halfway through. And they don't open the churro carts until 10 AM, due to staffing restrictions.

Well, on their way back from ITTAB, DW and DS walked past Tigger, Pooh and Eeyore, and there was no line to meet them, so they got pictures with all three. This significantly improved DS's mood. As did the promise of games at Chester & Hesters, and anything he wanted from the gift shop (DW felt really bad about taking him on ITTAB).

We all rode Triceratop Spin, and played several Midway games (and won a Saber-Toothed Tiger, a blue bat with flames on his wings, and a chameleon....did I mention DW felt REALLY bad about ITTAB?). DS decided what he really wanted more than anything from the gift shop was a $5 T-rex toy. This kid is awesome.

Since we had never tried the Boneyard before, that's where we headed next. DS liked the slides, and he dug around the dig site for a little bit. My only problem with the Boneyard was the fact that we had to ditch our stroller at the entrance, then climb all those stairs and ramps to walk around, while carrying a sleeping infant. Oh well...I knew that Flame Tree BBQ was next, so I suffered in silence....well....almost silence. We also met a cast member who REALLY liked his job. He spent 10 minutes with our son in the dig site, telling him all about paleontology, then he turned on me, and told me about several famous paleontologists and archaeologists with beards (I have a beard, for the record...he wasn't just being weird).

Flame Tree BBQ can be summed up in one word....mmmfmmsmfsffhhphmmm. That's the sound you make when trying to talk there, because you can't stop shoving the food in your mouth. I had the pulled pork sandwich with fries and cole slaw, and the key-lime mousse for dessert. DW had the chicken and rib combo with baked beans, cole slaw and fries, and the chocolate mousse for dessert. We think DS had the hot dog, but it was gone so fast, we have no way of knowing. I will be thinking about this meal until the next time we go to WDW. It was our favorite. By a lot.

Now, it was time to cry. So we headed over to Finding Nemo. This is our favorite show in WDW....heck, it might be our favorite show anywhwere. We have the soundtrack, and listen to it constantly. "Go With the Flow" is our family theme song. Well, that and "Just Keep Swimming". DD slept the whole way through, and we met a very nice family from Alabama waiting for the show to start. We were right on the aisle, second row from the middle walkway. Great seats, and we walked right in 5 minutes prior to showtime. WE ARE NEVER COMING TO WDW ANY OTHER TIME EVER AGAIN. Anyway, it sounds like the guy playing Marlin is still the original Marlin, but most everyone else has changed over. (Interesting side note...the woman who plays Dory on the soundtrack is a former student of my choreographer from Once Upon a Mattress). This show is amazing. If you haven't seen it, you are missing out. Still gets both DW and I crying (especially Go With the Flow...sometimes all I have to do is look at DW and start singing "you're such an amazing kid...", and she'll hit me and pretend she didn't start crying).

After that, it was time for DW and I to hit up Everest! So we walked past to get FPs, and noticed that the standy for Everest at 1:30 PM was 5 MINUTES! We definitely chose the right park. So DW went on and I took the kids to the Baby Care Center. DS watched Pete's Dragon while DD ate to her heart's content (which, if you knew her, you'd know is a lot). DW returned after riding EE twice, and it was my turn. I went to the standby line, and walked right onto the ride. I still love this ride. Even though it's not what it once was. I do have to say, though, if they're going to stick with Disco Yeti, they should have T-shirts. I'd buy that in a second. I imagine it would be a Saturday Night Fever style logo, with the Yeti's head where John Travolta's head should be. Well, the train pulls into the station, and I figure, I'll walk around and ride again. NO NEED! There was no one waiting to board! So I rode again.

Headed back to Baby Care Center (after calling my dad to brag a little about the lack of crowds....sorry dad), got a pretzel (FINALLY!) and we made our way to see FOTLK. I hadn't seen this show in years, and DW had never seen it. With the chance of it disappearing for good, we knew this was a Must Do. We arrived 10 minutes before show time, and were in the third row. DW loved the show, as did DS (who is now a huge fan of "T-Bone and Pumba").

By this time, it was nearing 5 PM, which is when AK closed for the day. But we had packed a whole lot into that short day, so we happily headed back to POP. We decided to eat at the Food Court, then have an early evening. DW had the Mongolian Beef and I had the parmesan-encrusted chicken. Both were very VERY good (DW and I don't respect each other's plate boundaries, by the way....when we each order a meal, it is assumed that the other has just as much right to your plate as you do). Dessert consisted of ice cream sundaes!

An early night was just what we needed to get this sickness completely taken care of. DW took more Nyquil, DD got her tylenol, and DS got his medicine...as did daddy .

And then it happened. We were told at check-in that a certain channel had bed-time stories for kids from 6 PM to 10 PM. So we turned it on. And there he was. Duffy. Oh Disney Marketing!

By 8 PM, DW, DS and DD were asleep. DS dreaming of having his very own Duffy, of course. I headed back down to Petals for one more , where I met a family from outside of Mexico City who was here for a month. Their son had just started working in the Mexican pavilion, and they wanted to help him start his life here in Orlando. They might be the friendliest, happiest family I have ever met. They had never been to WDW, so I had fun giving them all my tips and tricks, and I pointed them to Intercot, of course!

So Day 2 was another huge success...and everyone started to get a little healthier. We would discover, on the trip home, that it was probably just the magic of WDW keeping the illness at bay...but it was worth it. Looking at the schedules, we decided that Day 3 would be Epcot...even though they had Evening EMH, we figured we'd be out before those crowds came in. And Epcot is where we added the newest member of our family....Duffy.

To be continued.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for reporting! The bedtime stories sound like a hit, glad to hear about that one for sure!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

It was great to read that your family seems to be turning the corner, illness wise. What a fantastic day in AK, you sure did pick the right park today!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love those low crowds! Very successful Animal Kingdom visit - even with folks who weren't feeling 100%.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

OH i'm so glad your having a good trip!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So, September is pretty great, huh? I've never been then. It's on my list. My 21 year old son gets the heebies from ITTBAB too. It's one of two attractions on his never again list (the other is TOT). I hope everyone got and stayed healthy after this-- sounds like a great start despite that.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

How awesome that you are having such short line luck! You are getting so much done!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Awwwww Steve, what a magical day. Takes me back to when my DS was the same age as yours. We too have never been to Disney any time other than summertime, and it sure sounds like a wonderful experience. No EMH? No problem! Looking forward to your day at Epcot.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Another lovely day... AK worked it's magic!! We love FTBbQ, too, and find it is one of our favorite meals EVERY trip. So happy to hear how much everyone loved everything (except ITTBAB, of course... ) and that your sick ones were starting to feel better. (at least for now... ) We travel with Emergen-C, Airborne and Zicam meltaways, as well... they work wonders!!

Looking forward to hearing about tomorrow...
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the report...your sense of humor shines out! I agree with the ITTBAB and refuse to go to it and I love the Nemo show. Just 1 question...where did you find the soundtrack??? I've been searching all over for it!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like another wonderful day! Gotta love little to no waits on the big ticket rides! And yes, my DH would agree... flame tree is our number one go to quick service restaurant in WDW! yummy!
    3/88 & 3/91 off site
    3/02 ASMov
    10/03 ASSp
    5/04 adults only!(POP)
    11/04 ASMov
    1/06 CBR
    3/07 5th anniv.(POP)
    2/08 ASMov
    10/10 5k-solo trip!(ASMov)
    2/2011 princess half(POR)
    10/2012 MNSSHP(AoA)
    10/2014 ToT 10-miler(CBR)
    11/2017 family trip(POP)

FUTURE TRIPS
    1/2019 ASMusic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beksy View Post
    Love the report...your sense of humor shines out! I agree with the ITTBAB and refuse to go to it and I love the Nemo show. Just 1 question...where did you find the soundtrack??? I've been searching all over for it!
    We got the soundtrack off of Amazon.com. I'm pretty sure it's still available...and only about $10. Well worth the money!
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I can't wait until my three daughters all move to Florida and work for Disney........that means I need to stay for three months! I can't even imagine.....
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, love Flame Tree

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!