Quantcast Beer and wine to be served at Be Our Guest - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post
    I think it is safe to say that Club 33 is the exception at the Disneyland Park. There are club members, who are in essence "registered". Walt started it as invitation only, so there was obvious intention to control the alcohol.

He did not allow it in the park otherwise, and did not allow it in Magic Kingdom before its opening and his untimely death.

What happened after, is par for the course.
    I was also wrong... My bad... Club 33 opened after Walt died...

But, regardless of that, alcohol is still served inside the park, in a high class restaurant.. While BOG won't be private or exclusive, it is being marketed as a higher class dining experience... Plus, wine and beer only will be served and only during dinner... It isn't like beer carts are popping up all over the park...

I have a serious question for everyone: Would your day at MK (or vacation even ) be ruined because wine and beer are being served in a place you may or may not dine in, providing you with a choice to order or not???
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

When i first saw this i thought, why? this isnt right.

But the more i think about it, the more i like it. I like that they arent allowing you to get drinks to go, you can get a drink or two with dinner, but if you think WDW is going to get someone slap drunk in the MK, it aint going to happen. I also think this could really open up more find dining inside of MK.

Dining is one of the reasons why I love EPCOT, this could be a step in a good direction, but must be done in moderation.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrowncatP View Post
    I guess that I am too much of a traditionist, but my thought is NOO!
    I feel the same
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Symbolically, it was pretty neat to have a place like the MK that refused to serve alcohol. I'm going to miss that. Without Walt's vision the parks wouldn't be what they are today. Then again in many ways they are not what the were anyway. I'm just sayin' maybe they are straying a bit too far from the original concept for Disneyland: a place where the whole family can go and have some fun. Oh well... It's their rule; I guess they can break it.

Practically speaking, not a big deal for me. Wine, no wine, whatever. I'm not much of a wine drinker and I'll bet their beer list will be underwhelming anyway.

Now if I get loaded at the Poly and monorail over to the MK I'm not going to feel like a rulebreaker anymore. And where's the fun in that?

We'll have to wait and see if they open La Cava de Ron @ POTC. I mean, if it is a financial decision, and I'll bet it is, the margins on coctails are pretty high. How long will the number crunchers keep the rest of the park dry when there's profits to be had?

To sum up: I don't like the idea of serving alcohol in the MK, but it is not a deal-breaker.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so up in the air here.

Let's get a few things straight. You can get drunk outside of MK and come INTO MK without any problem. You can easily, now I do not recommend doing so nor will I admit having done so, sneak booze into MK and get sauced. More than likely you have seen drunk people at MK before and not even noticed.

I liked the idea that it was a dry place and I understood the reasoning. But I also understand the reasoning here.

But breaking it down further: It's one place. It's a place that by its mere rabid demand for space will be exclusive. And it is only served during dinner service. It's also high quality wine and beer. You're not pounding jaeger and bud light here.

I'm not sure if this is nearly as big of a deal we are making it out to be. I still don't know if I agree with it. But I don't think it's a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I said I wasn't going to say anymore. But, I can't sleep and couldn't resist. I think there are a lot of good points being made here.

A lot of posters have mentioned that it is only 1 place at dinner time.

A couple of other posters (including my self) hinted at possible expansion of locations that serve alcohol if there is a profit to be made.

However, once a "compromise" is made, more are sure to follow. Human nature and nature of business.

I think it's a fairly safe prediction to make the call that adding alcohol to the other locations will be coming soon. Why not Tony's? Why not Liberty Tree Tavern (see what they did with the name there)? This could be the end of an era.

Some of the questions brought up are very good - is this a deal breaker? For most people, I'm sure the answer is "no". But, on the flip side, using that logic: Would you not go to Be Our Guest for dinner if they DIDN'T serve wine and beer? (also consider that due to previous dry MK situation, it wasn't really the expectation that it WAS available).

Personally, I'm not sure people would be protesting going because there is no wine menu. Not the majority, anyway. I'd venture that reservations would be just as full with or without wine and beer. This is why I think it's far more of a financial decision hidden in "we're giving the people what they want". I think the restaurant would be just as in demand with or without alcohol simply because it's new, and that's just how dining reservations go in WDW now. HOWEVER, I guarantee the amount spend per guest will go up at this venue, while reservation count remains consistent. It goes hand-in-hand with the approach Disney has had for some time - the goal is to increase the amount spend per person while they are in the parks. This will surely accomplish this.

Maybe the revenue will justify them spending more money on increasing quality and innovation in areas that haven't quite been up to their usual standards...
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

WoW! This is a very lively & personal debate! IMHO, I see very valid points of both sides! This is a break in the tradition of MK's rule of not serving alcohol! Yes, that is a fact that no one can argue with. BUT, and that's a really BIG BUT, as we see in life every day, times are a'changin'! Look at the rule that was changed this very year to allow Beards & goatees on the MK employees! Yes, I know, right off, some will say it had nothing in common with this change, but I tend to think it does! We all see change all the time! We don't always like these changes, but they happen anyway. Alot is directly due to recognizing that times, thoughts, feelings & preferences have changed! I'm sure alot of thought, whether customer based or profit based, was given to this unprecedented situation. But I do not equate alcohol offerings equate with drunk & unruly! And btw, I have 2 teen DS's & they definitely know that mom enjoys the ocasional glass of wine or beer at home or with dinner! And I will be no means ever endanger/embarass my children with that preference!

I personally have no problem with alcohol being served, whether it's with dinner or other venue! It's called accountability! It's part of life everyday - everywhere. I can't imagine people paying WDW's prices to enter to visit with the intention of getting sloshed! And even if, in the dreadful event the "Aunt Sue" has taken a spin on the tea cups after a couple glasses of wine with dinner & looses her lambchops, could it not be chalked up to the teacups? Who in their right mind is telling little "Johnny" - "Well Auntie Sue tied one on again!" Seriously, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but none of us own WDW or where asked! It is what it is! If you choose not to patronize - then so be it! We all have to make the choices that we feel that are right for us!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the "I don't like it category" for traditionalist, personal and philosophical reasons...but truth be told I don't see it (beer/wine in one restaurant) as being likely to have any real impact upon my own personal enjoyment at the MK.

I do have concerns about the impact of the policy change if the sale of alcohol becomes more widespread throughout the park. I don't want to see the "drinking around the world" thing at EPcot become "drinking at the mountains" in the MK. The only issue with alcohol enhanced rowdiness/rudeness/lewdness we have had at WDW has been at Epcot, where from my own personal observations disney doesn't always do a great job policing the situation.

Its not a deal breaker, but to me it does have the potential to be a negative.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

[really big bold font]
    [hysterical]

"PLEASE WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!"

[/hysterical]
    [/really big bold font]

But back in the real world, it's nice to see adults being treated like adults. It makes no sense to me that a glass of wine that someone else is drinking with their dinner could get someone upset. Live and let live.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I don't want to see the "drinking around the world" thing at EPcot become "drinking at the mountains" in the MK. The only issue with alcohol enhanced rowdiness/rudeness/lewdness we have had at WDW has been at Epcot, where from my own personal observations disney doesn't always do a great job policing the situation.
    If I was a drinker, that would be the best idea ever..."drinking at the mountains" is genius, and puking under each mountain is even better!

Seriously though, I'll reiterate that it doesn't phase me at all, but I do hope there's no rowdiness etc (which I think is unlikely). I must not go enough, as I've never seen drunkards at Epcot.

P.S. Sorry that I misinterpretted your questions, DizneyFreak2002. It's hard to tell intent, at least for me, and I imagined your questions to be more badgering than you meant.

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

The wine/beer list can be found here
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said earlier, based on that wine and beer, I highly doubt people are going to buy enough $17.00 glasses of French wine to get them sloshed for the evening at MK. That list actually makes me a little lol.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I am not against serving 'adult' beverages with a TS meal. In many countries, this is the norm and expected. I am a bit confused that the first place they would do this in the MK is in Fantasyland - an area geared toward the 'younger' visitors. Had they rolled this idea out in Tony's, it would have softened the blow.

Hate to use the 'slippery slope' argument, but I am a bit surprised and concerned how this will spread throughout the park....Casey's Hot Dogs and BEER? As someone else mentioned la Cava de Ron @ POTC? Ghoul Grog at HM? White Lightning @ Pecos Bills?

OK, I know I am going a bit overboard with this, but who is going to stop them if they think it will turn a profit.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I hate this. Hate this! This is a dry park, a kid friendly park. I personally have a problem with alcohol in general, but a few deaths in the family at the hand of a drunk can do that. Still, I don't get it. This isn't necesary - people will go to this place with wine or no wine. I guess my question is why do people NEED to have wine with their food? Is it that much better than a soft drink, or flavored iced tea, or do all these people just need a buzz?
    I personally prefer an ice cold coke with my dinner. I can see both sides of this debate. However, MK, has always said it's a dry kingdom so why make one exception now?? Is it going to lead to more exceptions down the road? Ehh, I think it should stick with no alcohol.
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    But back in the real world, it's nice to see adults being treated like adults. It makes no sense to me that a glass of wine that someone else is drinking with their dinner could get someone upset. Live and let live.
    I concur.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I just remembered the Gaston's Tavern concept artwork released by Disney earlier this year. Maybe they were trying to give us a hint back then???

This is the new "LeFou's Brew" and the old concept artwork is in the background.
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-kingdom-park/
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey310 View Post
    Is it going to lead to more exceptions down the road?
    I don't necessarily see it leading to more exceptions down the road BUT between the menu and now the added wine list I wouldn't be surprised to see it become Signature dining catering more to adults.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    I just remembered the Gaston's Tavern concept artwork released by Disney earlier this year. Maybe they were trying to give us a hint back then???

This is the new "LeFou's Brew" and the old concept artwork is in the background.
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-kingdom-park/
    How is that a hint? They're serving apple juice concoctions that sort of rival Harry Potter's butterbeer. And cinnamon rolls. There is no alcohol served at Gaston's Tavern, and it doesn't sound like it's even on the horizon there. The background art is in keeping with the theme and the cups of "brew" they intend to sell there, which is not alcoholic.

Also, since you bring this up, I'm a little surprised that there's more outcry over serving alcohol to adults than there is over serving children beverages that mock adult alcohol consumption, both here and at Universal with the Potter-themed bevvies. I don't have a problem with it, but I would expect that some people would and it hasn't come up.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    How is that a hint? They're serving apple juice concoctions that sort of rival Harry Potter's butterbeer. And cinnamon rolls. There is no alcohol served at Gaston's Tavern, and it doesn't sound like it's even on the horizon there. The background art is in keeping with the theme and the cups of "brew" they intend to sell there, which is not alcoholic.
    Because at the time that original concept art came out; it did cause a stir on the internet about that looking like beer mugs on the waitress' tray. It still does look like beer on the tray.
    The original policy for Epcot was that alcohol was to be served at restaurants only and not at kiosks or carts. That policy did not last long. I have no clue whether or not Disney will keep alcohol limited to BOG restaurant at MK. But, from their track record at Epcot it does seem doubtful.
    From a purely business aspect, it makes no sense to not sell something that the guests will buy. I am neither defending nor condemning Disney's new alcohol policy at the MK. I am merely curious as to how far it will go. Only time will tell.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

When I heard this news last night, I mentioned it to my husband. He said "Good...it was a stupid rule anyway."

Now, listen. My husband is no lush, but he likes wine and beer, particularly with his meals. He probably falls into the category of "average Disney fan". If Disney made this decision by polling people who are similar to my DH, it's no wonder they came to this decision.

The truth is, MOST people do not understand why MK doesn't serve alcohol, and I have heard more than a few complaints about it over the years from "average park guests."

No one is going to be getting hammered at the prices they are charging for the beer and wine! I am actually glad to see that the majority of what is offered are authentic to the region in which the food is supposed to represent. In particular, their offering of ACTUAL, real Champagne is enticing.

I see no problem with this and as long as the beer/wine offerings at MK stay within the boundaries of the upscale restaurants (I'd classify CRT here as well), it's not going to be an issue.

You can get drunk at EVERY other Disney park, and even then, I've never actually witnessed anyone who was out of control because of it.

For the poster who mentioned the young lady who at Epcot. Well, that was me once, but I was NOT drunk. It was day 1 of a very bad stomach bug that plagued me for the next 3 days of my trip. Sometimes, you gotta and the bushes at Epcot are the best option. Just because you see someone getting sick does NOT mean that person is drunk. Furthermore, even IF that person is drunk, is and I can't understand why a child would be traumatized by seeing that.

I actually want to go to dinner at BoG more now than I did before!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: