Quantcast Recipe sources?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Recipe sources?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Recipe sources?

While we're alternating between the view out the window and the radar on the screen, and because of the post asking for side dishes, I was thinking about recipe sources.

Where do you get your meal inspirations from? Cookbook, website, actual people?

Earlier this year I rediscovered the decades old (50s) Better Homes and Gardens cookbook on the shelf. After all these years, folks in our family are liking coleslaw and potato salad again (until they get tired of the "new" versions). There are some interesting recipes in this book. My sister has the BH&G book from the 70s and DD has the one from the 80s I think it is. Not the same recipes.

During the summer when I have a lot of this or that fruit or veggie, I will type in the ingredients in a search engine and see what comes up. I tend toward allrecipes for on line recipes. There are a couple of recipe sources that never seem to resonate with me but I'm drawing a blank on them right now.

My aunt gave me Joy of Cooking - her favortie cookbook - as a wedding present. That was another non-resonater. At least at the time. I have no clue where it is now.

Jan

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of my new recipes come from the Internet. However, all my tried and true recipes are from an early 60's version of The Betty Crocker Cookbook. It's falling apart, but there are some awesome things in there.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter loves to cook and gets a lot of ideas from the food network on cable or the internet.

When my father passed away he had a bunch of old cook books that my mother had. One of those was a Watkins Cook Book which was published in the early 1930's and is still in pretty good condition. To look at some of their offerings compaired to todays cook books they really look good.

A flea market may be a good source of old cook books or even a second hand store.

Either way it would be a good way to offer new things to the family from yester year.
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE the All Recipes app on my iPad!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I get recipes from all sources, internet, cookbooks, and actual people.

I love allrecipes on the internet, and I've also found some great dishes from Kraft's online recipe page.

I have also tried a few dishes I've seen on food network.

I have two favorite cookbooks that can't be purchased in stores. The first one is a cookbook from the hosptial I used to work at. We did a fundrasier for a terminally ill child that was born at our hosptial. It's a collection of favorite recipes from all the empolyees, as well as favorite dishes from the hosptial cafeteria. There are some amazing recipes in this cookbook.

My other favorite cookbook came from my son's school. Same concept as the hopsital cookbook. It was a school fundraiser and is filled with recipes turned in from staff and parents.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I also have an OLD version of The Betty Crocker Cookbook with pages falling out that I use all the time. It's simply the best I've found so far. I also go online to Allrecipes, they seem to always help me out when I'm in a pinch, or just looking for new recipes. My mom gave me a subscription for Taste of Home magazine, I find many good recipes there as well!
    ~Lisa~

WDW trips:
    April, 1991- Honeymoon-offsite
    Nov.1992-offsite
    Nov.1995-offsite
    April 2001-offsite
    Dec. 2004-Wilderness Lodge, AS Sports
    Aug. 2007- offsite
    Mar 2008- AS Movies
    Dec. 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2010-AS Movies, CBR
    Aug. 2011- Beach Club
    Mar. 2012- AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I'm loving getting recipes off of Pinterest. I'm a visual person so being able to see photos of recipes first really helps me.
    September 22-29 2012 Wildnerness Lodge
    Aug 10 All Star Music
    July 10 Wilderness Lodge
    May 09-POFQ
    Sept 08-POP Century
    Aug 07-PORS
    Sept 06-POFQ
    Sept 05-CBR
    from 81-04 off site at least once a year except 3 years (can't remember which years!)
    80-even came to the world in mom's belly

Post Thanks / Like

I too love Pinterest and just Googling. But my other go-to is Taste of Home online. You can create your own recipe box and then rate and categorize your recipes. To get the most recent recipes you have to have a subscription but there are TONS of recipes available. I used to keep an index card in my pantry with the names of our favorite Taste of Home recipes and the dates of those magazines. Now It's at my fingertips!
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

My go to place is Allrecipes.com. I plug in the main ingredient. Look for a dish that my family might like. I also read all the reviews as they usually have tips on making the dish better.

And I never pick low rated dishes, there is always a reason why they are low.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I like Allrecipes.com, Pinterest & Skinnytatste.com!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

For good day by day cooking I really like Kraft foods website. Simple straight forward instructions, no really weird or numerous ingredients, and family friendly. They even have healthy ones too.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I forgot about Pillsbury.com! I receive regular emails from them & I've gotten some really good recipes from that site that my whole family loves!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I've found great recipes on a couple blogs: Mel's Kitchen Cafe (more of a focus on made-from-scratch foods) and Plain Chicken (a few more shortcuts, good for weeknights). I've made mostly main dish recipes, rather than desserts; they all have been good!
    ºOº April ºOº

Next trips: GF Sept. '14, WL Jan. - Feb. '15!
    Previous stays: WL, AKL, Polynesian, POFQ, Newport Bay Club (DLP), DL Hotel, GF, DxL

Post Thanks / Like

I have several apps for that!

Post Thanks / Like

I love my old '50's Betty Crocker Cookbook- they have the exact same one on the wall in Pop Century! I also like Good Housekeeping and Better Homes and Gardens. I get all of my books at a used book store so I have lots of retro goodies. I have a huge collection, it's a lot of fun.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I get mine from magazines and the internet mostly. I subscribe to Food Network magazine and Bon Appetit. I also get my recipes online from Williams-Sonoma website, Food Network website, and Expicurious. However sometimes I'll just type what I am looking for and see what I find out there.

I have several cookbooks I've collected over the years, and still use. I haven't bought as many in recent yearsas I used to mostly because you can find so much on line these days.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: