Quantcast Anyone own a GMC Acadia?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone own a GMC Acadia?

I have been looking for a car since I totaled my Expedition on the way home from Disney earlier this month. I wanted something a bit smaller than the Expedition. I have pretty much finally decided on the GMC Acadia.

Anyone have one that is not happy with it? Do you love it? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2012 GMC Acadia that we purchased in April. We had a minivan and there was much more leg height room. I got better gas mileage with our Honda because the Acadia is AWD versus FWD. I am getting about 16 miles to the gallon city driving. Highway, haven't done a long trip yet.

That being said, it is a nice SUV. Probably smaller than your Expedition. My Acadia seats 7, but that would be squeezing 3 in the most rear seat. 6 seats comfortably.

Good luck.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say as the owner of an Exp. EL I have looked at the Arcadia and I just can’t bring myself to go smaller. I know the gas is killing me right now, but you can’t beat the room in the Exp. We travel in my SUV everywhere and can’t imagine having less room. Just something to think about... I have 110,000 miles on mine and hope it last another 100,000 I would hate to have to go smaller. Losing that extra seat in the Arcadia is hard to imagine when we usually have everyone go with us because of the room the truck gives. Thank God my truck still looks and feels brand new. (I have never owned an SUV over 45,000 miles) I guess this one is a keeper. I hope to pay it off and just park it for travel only...

I will admitt the Arcadia is a very nice SUV. We test drove one last year. Good Luck in what ever you choose
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

We actually started looking for a new family car while we were at Disney in January, because our then 5'4" son told us the Toyota Sienna we drove down it wasn't great for his long legs. There was a Chevy Traverse at Test Track, so all 6 of us (me, hubby, 4 kids ages 14, 11, 9 & 7) all climbed into it to try it out. We loved it. We emailed our CarMax guy back at home and told him to start looking for Traverses or Acadias (they're the same car). When we got home & went to CarMax, we actually fell in love with the Ford Flex. The leg room overall was way more generous, and I love the Sync system. We ended up buying a 2010 Flex in February, and I have not regretted my decision. The 2nd choice would've been the Traverse (or Acadia), but I just loved the Flex more. It helped that the one on the CarMax lot was cheaper than the Acadias & Traverses & had more bells & whistles & lower miles. That probably made the decision much easier for me.

We looked at larger SUVs, but I couldn't stomach the poor gas mileage. The Flex is about 17/24 (city/hwy), which is not outstanding, but it's not as bad as some of the SUVs we tried. Plus, it was absolutely necessary that the car fit inside the garage with room for us all to get out. I will not park a car outside. Our builder shorted us on garage length, but the both the Acadia/Traverse and the Flex fit perfectly.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We've been wanting an Acadia for a while now, but honestly couldn't justify the added costs over an Odyssey.

We have a 2010 Odyssey and it cost us about $200 a month less on a lease than a comparable Acadia.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie04 View Post
    I have 110,000 miles on mine and hope it last another 100,000 I would hate to have to go smaller.
    I had 180,000 miles on mine when I wrecked it and it still looked and drove like new. I LOVED IT!!! We actually were looking for a new car before the trip, but I was having a hard time letting go of my Expedition. Not because of the room, but because of how well the vehicle held up. DH's vehicle before his current truck was an Explorer and when we finally got rid of it it had almost 200,000 miles. We've had great luck with Fords, but I want something new, and different, and smaller.

We looked into the new Explorer, but those felt smaller than the Acadia. The Acadia felt like it had more leg room, and I just felt more comfortable with the layout of the Acadia.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I've not driven one, but I've heard nothing but good things from my friends that own them. My SIL raves about her Honda Pilot, too. It is nice, but the exterior is too boxy and not as nice as the Acadia, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have been eyeing the Acadia. I'm jumping on this thread to hear what others have to say about it. I currently have a Tahoe and absolutely LOVE it. But like others have said there's the gas issue,And my car is getting up there in mileage, but I love the space.

I have been eyeing the Acadia, jeep grand Cherokee and Buick enclave. I might end up getting a newer Tahoe.
    Last edited by Kenny1113; 08-25-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Currently have a GMC Acadia. Mine's a 2010 and seats 8. I love it. If you are looking - know that the Chevy Traverse and Buick Enclave are the same thing (And the former Saturn Outlook) All build on the GM Lamda Chassis.

We chose the Acadia because the Traverse wasn't out at the time and the Buicks were selling so fast that they were special order only. We got seating for 8 because when all our children are home along with the one daughter in law - we have 7 and we can squeeze them all in (it is tight) one vehicle.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input everyone! We purchased a GMC Acadia yesterday.

So far I love it. DH and I had looked at them, and did some test driving before, but not with the kids. Having all 4 of us in it showed us how much room there really is inside. The kids have almost as much leg room as they did in the Expedition, and the back seat is just as comfortable, the boys claim this one is more comfortable, but I think it's about the same. The boys love having their own seats (bucket seats in second row), as well as their own console to store their things in. The biggest shock is that there is actually more room behind the 3rd row seat for storage than I had in the Expedition. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to fit lots of room into a smaller SUV.

Hopefully this one lasts us as long as the Expeidtion did!
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that I'm late to the party. I haven't posted in a month or two (I missed you guys).

However, I am the owner of a 2011 GMC Acadia SLE. If you like SUVs, then you'll probably love this. I picked the SLE because you get all of the good safety features (rear view camera, reverse sensors, etc.), but don't have to deal with leather seats being cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. I chose the Acadia because it has the space of a minivan but a decent amount of towing capacity (5200 lbs).

To me, my Acadia is OK. I'm not an SUV person, so I don't love it like my old car. I miss my old car. My previous car was my beloved 2005 VW Jetta GLS TDI that was a stick, it was fun to drive, and got fantastic gas mileage, so going to the Acadia was an adjustment. But the four of us couldn't fit in the Jetta (DH is 6'1") with the kids in car seats, mainly DS20 months and his rear facing seat that he'll be in until Christmas. We got the 7-passenger model, which I like because there is an aisle in the middle that you can walk through to get to the 3rd row seats. Believe it or not, the 20 month old can actually climb into and out of his car seat in the Acadia, as we got the running boards as an option. Plus the doors are light enough that DS5 can open and close them.

If we didn't need the towing capacity, as we moved from NJ for work and onto a bit of acreage, then I would have chosen the Subaru Outback so I could get a car with a stick. But DH wants horses and we'd need something to tow a horse trailer and and Outbback doesn't have the capacity. Do we have horses yet? No. But we got an RV, a vintage 22' Airstream (named 'Minnie') that we took our first trip in two weeks ago and the Acadia can tow it just fine (considering calling the Acadia 'Mickey'.)

BTW - there's even a little more storage under the floor behind the 3rd row where I keep my toolbox and other emergency items (shovel, etc). There's more storage behind the 3rd row than your Ford because the rear door is curved, not flat like the Ford. Also, a neat little touch is the pinhole light above the console that gives off enough light to look at something at night, but it's not bright enough to interfere with seeing the road.

Also, be glad that you got the Acadia now, as the 2013 model got a new look that IMHO is almost as ugly at the GMC Terrain.

Enjoy!
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post

Also, be glad that you got the Acadia now, as the 2013 model got a new look that IMHO is almost as ugly at the GMC Terrain.
    I don't think my Terrain is ugly

We had rented 2x's for baseball trips in GA and looked in to buying one but couldn't justify the price. Now that my boys are driving themselves I just don't need the extra space. Do think it's a great car though.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I don't think my Terrain is ugly
    I don't think the Terrain is ugly either.

I did take a look at the 2013 Acadia online, and I think it looks good. I do, however, prefer the way the older models (2012 and older) look.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new Arcadia Denise!!!

I think they are really nice looking!

Enjoy your new ride!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Thanks for purchasing a Lansing made GM Acadia!
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

For over 30 yrs, I have been a Ford man.
    1982: I bought a used Bronco w/10k miles. I had that truck for 19 yrs. It was all banged up in the end, but ran perfectly. With 175 K on it, I got a speeding ticket going uphill. Finally got rid of it when it would have cost $2000+ to fix brakes, front end etc.
    2002: bought a 96 Bronco, had 46K on it. Ran great for the 3 yrs I had it. During that time span, DW became care-giver for her Mom, who had too much trouble getting into the back seat of a 2-door.Time for a 4 door.
    2005: went up a size, with a 2001 Expedition XLT. Great truck. Did 2 trips to WDW. Went off road countless times. Had a lift installed for DWs ECV. Unfortunately, the day I was supposed to pick up this truck, her Mom passed on.
    2 months ago: I now need my own ECV, and needed a vehicle that would fit two of them. Aug.1, I bought a brand new Expedition EL, had the lift transferred to the new truck, and last week, I picked up my ECV. Now I am ready to drive down to WDW. We will be leaving Sept 15.
    BTW, the new truck handles very well both on the highway, and off road. Yeah, I just had to get it dirty.

For me, I just could not go smaller.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    However, I am the owner of a 2011 GMC Acadia SLE. If you like SUVs, then you'll probably love this. I picked the SLE because you get all of the good safety features (rear view camera, reverse sensors, etc.), but don't have to deal with leather seats being cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. I chose the Acadia because it has the space of a minivan but a decent amount of towing capacity (5200 lbs).

We got the SLT because I am going from an Eddie Bauer Expeidtion and I've become accustomed to all the bells and whistles!

With two boys, ages 10 and 12, I felt we HAD to have the leather seats. I don't even want to know what cloth interior would look like after a few years of my boys and all their sports. The seats are heated so no need to worry about cold seats in the winter. I also park my car in a garage so the car never gets too hot. We also have the remote start. When you start it with the remote all AC vents go on full blast, so by the time we actually get into the car, esepcially if we have stuff to save in the back, the car is nice and cool, even in South Louisiana's very hot temps!

So far I am loving the Acadia and all the options ours came with. I had my Expeidtion for over 10 years, and haven't had a car note in probably over 6 years. Since we keep our cars for such a long time we feel the money spent to have it fully loaded is well worth it for us. If I'm going to keep a car that long I need to love it! LOL.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new ride.

Charlie aka wdw dude

4/27-5/1/2010 Beach Club
    10/11-10/15/2010 Boardwalk
    12/9-12/13/2011 Boardwalk
    11/3-11/8/2012 Treehouse Villas/Boardwalk
    12/2-12/8/2013 Boardwalk
    10/25-10/31/2014 Boardwalk

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: