Quantcast My Rant on the Be Our Guest Menu - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Alcohol in MK? I've seen people drinking in Epcot. Not everyone is responsible. I'm perfectly happy with not having to deal with that in MK and waiting until I am out of that park to have a drink.
    I have to agree. There are too many people who will turn "one glass of wine" in a bottle or two. I love that the MK does not have "adult" drinks.

It's bad enough being on the monorail or bus from Epcot with someone who had been drinking around the world. It guess the only good thing is that they decided to take the bus and not drive home. I am not looking forward to the F&W festival at all. I wish it was not happening during our trip.

I don't want to deal with that at the MK too. I know everyone is not like that but it only takes one person to ruin it.

I like the menu and am thrilled with the children's menu choices. I am one of the people that is not happy with most of the kid's dining choices.
    Too many trips to count!
    Disneyland!
    DisneyWorld!
    Disneyland Paris!
    Coming soon Tokyo!
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE

I have stayed at: All Star Movies, All Star Music, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad the MK doesn't serve alcohol (and personally, I hope it stays that way).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I would say based on the fact that there's no available ADRs for the entire year, people really don't give a fat rat what's on the menu. They're going even if Temple of Doom items were on the menu.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I'm glad the MK doesn't serve alcohol (and personally, I hope it stays that way).
    I'll second that. It's a family park - why do you need the alcohol to have a good time anywhere at WDW? Any dulling of the senses at the parks simply doesn't make sense. But that's me.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree on the no alcohol in MK.

I like a drink as much as the next person (maybe a little more!), but IMO it's simply not needed in MK. I think it keeps a pleasant family atmosphere and the childlike magic of the park. Seeing drunk people or groups of inebriated 20 somethings on Splash Mountain would ruin so much. I think the other 3 parks and the resorts fulfill the alcohol need.

Wasn't there a Roseanne episode where they all went to Disney World and Dan wouldn't leave EPCOT because MK didn't have beer?
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mfarquar View Post

Wasn't there a Roseanne episode where they all went to Disney World and Dan wouldn't leave EPCOT because MK didn't have beer?
    Yup, I can picture him wearing a fez jamming out in Morocco.

I think it's good that WDW is putting something a little different out there. I was a super picky eater as a kid, and guess what, Disney went out of their way to accommodate me when I had a melt down over being really hungry and not wanting anything on the menu as a 9 year old. My mom didn't even request it, the server saw I was at point break and asked me nicely what my favorite food was. 10 minutes later Chicken fingers magically appeared on my plate. Granted, this was 95, so I don't know if this still happens.

I can see both sides of the alcohol issue. I would not ever want to see alcohol stands set up or bar/lounge areas like the other parks; but I don't think it's so out of the question to have a glass of wine with dinner. No bar area, and only available with your meal. You'd really have to be desperate to book a table and just sit there all night and get drunk. Walt made an exception to his own rule with Club 33, and I see this as something similar.

I will say this, though, it may shock you to know there are still plenty of drunk people in the MK on any given day. People do the monorail drinking loop and then head on over, and people sneak it in in a variety of ways. I've seen it happen.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Very true, there are people who come on in from drinking around the world who come to play and sober up in MK.

However, I will say I think keeping with the tradition is good. I know SEVERAL people who can sit at a meal and have TOO much wine with dinner. For some people it's only 2 glasses (I see it weekly from casual to 5-star restaurants - we eat out WAY too much). Heat + waiting a bit to eat can sometimes even create unintentional results. I think Club 33 is manageable especially considering that it is presumable people do want to keep this special privilege. An entire theme park is a bit more tricky and security/bartenders/servers probably already have their hands full with the other three parks. Just my
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in

DH and I, DD 19 and DS 16, all looked at the menu. We all think the menu sounds interesting.

DD commented that it's nice to see items with a French flare because after all, isn't that the setting for Beauty and the Beast??

I think the food offerings go along with the setting quite nicely... as does the burgers at Pecos Bill.

My kids never (seriously) ate chicken nuggets because I don't consider them food Most parents, I think, really dont't want their children to chow on fried foods so a restaurant who does not offer them (for the most part) is a good thing.

Sautéed green needs are amazing!

I love my glass of wine, but don't miss it at MK at all. I'd rather enjoy it when we're back at WL for the evening relaxing.

I do think we will be more likely to try lunch than dinner and I just may order off the kids menu
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I would say based on the fact that there's no available ADRs for the entire year, people really don't give a fat rat what's on the menu. They're going even if Temple of Doom items were on the menu.
    I think you're right. Look at Cindy's table. Would any one in their right mind pay those prices for a meal anywhere else in the world except for in the WORLD? Probably not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    I think you're right. Look at Cindy's table. Would any one in their right mind pay those prices for a meal anywhere else in the world except for in the WORLD? Probably not.

Spot on, what I was thinking. The salmon they served at Cindy's is not better than the salmon I get at Costco, and fresh green beans I can get at the local grocery store. Yet we all spend big money to eat in the Castle. It ain't about the food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Spot on, what I was thinking. The salmon they served at Cindy's is not better than the salmon I get at Costco, and fresh green beans I can get at the local grocery store. Yet we all spend big money to eat in the Castle. It ain't about the food.
    Not us tho! DD recently (she is 19) asked why we never ate in Cindy's castle. I responded, "because you've never asked, darling princess."

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited by the counter service offerings for me and my kids... and they are 8, 5, and 2. They will eat mac and theese if it is there, or hot dogs and ckin fingers, but they will try things, and know to just try it, and if they are positively unimpressed we always have a few PB&J in bag made that morning. (which we do not tell them about and to date have actually only used a few times for the smallest one, and the middle one when she was the smallest) I am excited for us adults to have some new choices too!
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the previous posters about kids trying new things!

It actually brought a very buried memory to mind for me! It was our first trip to Disney and I was 5. We were at the Plaza restaurant at MK and I didn't want anything on the kids menu because I was a VERY picky eater. I ordered a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly and our very nice waitress said something along the lines, "Hey, why don't you try the jelly and if you don't like it I'll get you a plain sandwich? We have the yummiest food here in Magic Kingdom". It also came with potato chips, which I didn't normally eat.

Guess what? I tried both because I was in Disney World and it seemed to have brainwashed me into having an open mind I've enjoyed peanut butter AND JELLY and potato chips (although not always together!) since that day forward. Not the healthiest, I know, but it was a start. Didn't remain a picky eater much longer, either.

Maybe kids will have a culinary broadening experience at BOG You never know!

Post Thanks / Like

I rather like the food at CRT. I've eaten there multiple times now (I go for lunch on my birthday, as a tradition).
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is slightly off topic but just want to mention for those who would like wine with dinner. I also like mixed drinks with dinner but after seeing a woman fall down drunk at EPOCT I don't question the no drinking policy at MK. While I would never get that drunk at a theme park (and I know many on the boards would not) it's nice to know that there is one park drink free. Sorry about the rant just been around to many in my life who didn't know when to quit.
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

I was very excited to see some variety on the kids menu. My kids eat real food at home and prefer to eat real food all the time. They actually like vegetables. We usually order an extra adult entree for our two boys to share (oh the joy and freedom of not being on the dining plan). They can only eat so many grapes and carrot sticks in a week so we have to get creative to find variety. I'm very excited to try the new options at Be Our Guest.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    My problem with the menu is that it's fine dining without the wine- I... where I can get a glass of wine with my filet mignon.
    It's a guest! It's a guest!
    Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed!
    Wine's been poured and thank the Lord-

Uh, I mean,
    How about a nice cup of tea?

C'mon, Tigg. Do we go the the Magic Kingdom to eat filet mignon? Then again, a cold beer from Casey's to go with that hot dog could be swell.

The wonder of BoG will be how many meals they are going to try to serve each day.

Post Thanks / Like

I give this place less than 6 months before they drastically alter their kids menu.

I am all for kids eating healthy. Trust me on that. However, I am also a parent to two kids on the Autism spectrum who are INCREDIBLY selective eaters and it's not their fault, nor mine, that they are that way. We have been struggling with food issues for 8 years now, with our oldest, and 4 with our youngest. They will eat certain foods, and that's IT. No exceptions. No "trying new things" until they decide they want to do so. Vacation is NEVER the "right" time for them to try something new. Vacations are stressful for them, so they need to know that they can get the kind of food they are used to eating. For us, at restaurants, this means: mac and cheese, pizza, burgers & fries, or chicken tenders/nuggets. At home, they eat a lot more stuff, but at a restaurant, these are the things they will eat. Period. '

Because of this, I will likely never eat at Be Our Guest, just due to the kids menu options. This is why it's important to cater to kids who like this kind of food, because it brings the parents in as well.

We just got back from a 5 day Disney Cruise. Everyone knows how much food there is on cruise ships. Guess what my 2 boys ate all 5 days? I'll give you a hint...they did NOT try anything new. Glad Disney Cruise line understands this about *most* kids...you have to offer "the staples" and then you can offer IN ADDITION, the more unique food options.

I see this as a problem with the new Art of Animation food court as well. The kids menu options were just ridiculous attempts at healthy versions of the stuff they were serving to adults. My kids did NOT want "Buckwheat and Flax Mickey Waffles with Fruit Compote and Turkey Bacon." They wanted a REAL mickey waffle with butter and syrup and real bacon, so we bought them an adult one to share...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    It's a guest! It's a guest!
    Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed!
    Wine's been poured and thank the Lord-

Uh, I mean,
    How about a nice cup of tea?

C'mon, Tigg. Do we go the the Magic Kingdom to eat filet mignon? Then again, a cold beer from Casey's to go with that hot dog could be swell.

The wonder of BoG will be how many meals they are going to try to serve each day.
    I think the rest of my post made it pretty clear that I wouldn't want the MK to start serving wine or beer or any alcohol. I like it the way it is-- as I clearly stated. But with a nice dinner, yes, I like a glass of wine. So I choose to leave the park and eat at a resort and have my glass of wine with my fine dining meal. I don't always drink with dinner, but it's vacation and part of my fine dining experience. Also, I eat plenty of meals at WDW without wine. But, for evening fine dining, yes, for me, there's wine. I wouldn't change the Be Our Guest experience to include it, but it doesn't have me excited to try it any time soon.

So you're right, I don't go to the MK to eat filet mignon. I do love the counter service when I'm there, and I'm happy to skip the adult beverages when I'm there. As long as I'm not trying to have an elegant adult meal.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I give this place less than 6 months before they drastically alter their kids menu.
    That would really disappoint me. I, for one, am thrilled to see that finally there's a menu that doesn't make finding a vegetable on a plate — for adults OR children — a quest worthy of Hercules. And even better that there are varied offerings when CS hours are in effect. It's easy enough to find fruit at WDW, but vegetables (besides salads) are more difficult.

I understand the limitations you face when trying to feed your children. However, I would bet that if you went to BOG at dinner time, they would be able to serve your children the items they will eat; dollars to donuts, they will accommodate them. At lunch, you would be able to purchase those items and bring them over. But I don't think the alternative of changing the entire menu over to "standard park fare" is a business model they would want to pursue. Many guests are seeking healthier options for themselves and their children.

As for whole grain waffles, turkey bacon and fruit, that's what's on our table at home. For me, it's annoying to go to WDW and not have healthy choices. At least you were able to get them the standard choices. Harder when you're at a restaurant (like say at the POFQ food court), and you would like something whole grain and all they offer is highly processed food (and to me that includes the gluten-free options) so you're limited to a piece of fruit or oatmeal for breakfast (not that I mind either of those choices).

Changing the subject, what I find really interesting and slightly amusing about this thread is that we're discussing (and ranting about, according to the thread name) a restaurant that none of us has actually been to or seen, and won't for several more months. The passion of a WDW fanatic is not to be underestimated, is it!?!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: