Quantcast My Rant on the Be Our Guest Menu

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Rant on the Be Our Guest Menu

I was writing this to post on the “Be Our Guest Menu” thread and how many posters didn’t like the menu. The dinner menu did seem more Epcot than MK. I started replying and I realized I got a bit off topic, so I decided to post this separately.

I just looked at the kids menu (lunch) and now I see why kids and parents might not be too enthused: whole wheat macaroni with marinara (where's the cheese?), pulled pork (they mean sandwich, right?) with sautéed green beans (Eeew!) and mashed sweet potatoes (mom, why are they orange?), turkey meatloaf (Eeew again) with broccoli and zucchini (Vegetables!!!), seared Mahi Mahi (does "seared" mean breaded and shaped like a stick?) with finger salad (Made with real fingers?) and peach applesauce (Dad, why don't they make their applesauce with apples?) and, my favorite, carrot catsup (Eeew!/Why is it yellow?/Vegetables!/Why don't they make their catsup with tomatoes?). It seems a lot healthier than other choices at the MK.

The adult menu (lunch), on the other hand, features a steak sandwich and the Croque Monsieur, a fried sandwich covered in cheese and a white sauce, both served with fries! Woohoo! It also has an adult version of the pulled pork entree and some other interesting stuff. Nowadays I'm trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, a bit less meat, less white rice and white potatoes. It almost makes me want to order off of the kids menu: smaller portions no Pommes Frites, etc.

After a couple of looks, I'm starting to like the menu. I would be interested to actually see and taste the plated product. Will I go? Probably not. Why? It sounds like I'll be surrounded by tables and tables of families who don't like the menu. Whenever there is something new at Disney we all have to at least try it. I think people will flock to Be Our Guest not for the food, but because it is new and shiny.

As a childless adult I love seeing healthier dining options for kids on menus. Since I'm not a parent I can't fully appreciate the challenges parents face trying to get their young children to eat healthier (or at least a greater variety of) foods. I know whatever my parents tried, it didn't work with me.

I think WDW is primarily for kids and families and I love it when I see others smiling and having a good time. What I can't stand is families sad, angry or pouting at a table because there's no burgers, mac 'n cheese or chicken nuggets on the menu to keep them happy.

It will be interesting to see how the menu evolves and if the restaurant is a success.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My problem with the menu is that it's fine dining without the wine- I like wine with my fine dining. But that's the MK for you, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm just not excited about Be Our Guest. I probably won't be trying it any time soon. But that's me.

I don't see any problems with the kids menu, but I was raised with a "try anything" mentality and my kids, though I had a picky one, would have gone along with it, too. The picky one knew not to fuss in restaurants. They learned to try everything but were never forced to eat what they didn't like. We would always pick up a counter service to feed hungry kids later. The main thing was that they tried without making a scene. But... I know not all kids will go along with that. And if you have a kid who will only eat chicken nuggets or whatnot, then there are plenty of other choices at WDW. Just like there are plenty of other choices for me, where I can get a glass of wine with my filet mignon.

If one restaurant isn't for you or your family, is it really a big deal? Should every place have to accommodate picky eaters with a generic not so healthy menu just because some kids are picky? Maybe see it as a good time to leave the comfort zone and try new things?
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We can't wait to try it, but for me, it is more because it is new and looks fabulous. The food is different to be sure, but I am actually glad to get something like this finally in MK. Wine would be very good though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the menu sounds wonderful! Shrimp and scallops in a rich lobster sauce in a puff pastry?? Ummmmm.... YUM!!!

And, the macaroni with marinara does have mozzarella on it, so there's probably plenty of ooey-gooey-fatty-high calorie cheese on it.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

When I go on vacation I want to eat things I can’t cook at home. To borrow from another site “Food IS a theme park”.

I have always been surprised by WDW’s inclination to pack all the non-traditional American restaurants in Epcot. I secretly assumed it was, in part, a push to get more park hoppers sold. It certainly has played a large part in why I hop.

When “where to eat” questions pop up on this and other boards is MK ever the winner? Is it even in the top 2?

Comparatively speaking WDW hosts the very best amusement park food experience and should be proud of that heritage. Nonetheless, the burger, nugget, pizza crowd is over represented in MK.

I will bet my paycheck to a wet doughnut this place will be packed with families like mine who, otherwise, would hop to EPCOT or a monorail resort for some “real vacation food”.

Although I agree a wine list wouldnt hurt!

'76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

I find your comments on the kid's menu surprising as there has long been an outcry on this board for restaurants to have a kid's menu that is a better reflection of the adult menu - at the very least some thought put into it.

There are many restaurants whose offerings are absolutely abysmal for young diners. It is an insult to be on a dining plan only to find that your 8-9 year old is being offered PB&J and carrot sticks and little more. (That is mostly a counter service offering, but the table service choices are not much better.) This problem was solutioned by our family years ago by purchasing the adult dining plan (and therefore park tickets) for my 9 year old. -A better solution would have been to pay out of pocket for dining, but we are getting there....

There may not be the common foods for the "select" (read "picky") young diners, but I think many will find the change a refreshing step in the right direction.

MDRICKS - interesting theory about all the non-traditional food being put in Epcot to sell more park-hoppers. I would not be surprised...
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited to try BOG. I don't like everything on the menu but I'm that way at every restaurant. I did see some items that look good and some that I might try because they look so different and I like to try something new once in a while. I can't wait to try the cupcakes, they sound delicious.

Post Thanks / Like

Seared Mahi Mahi is not breaded it is usually seared in butter or other light juice to attain a crisp outer coating with a tender juicy inside. It is usually cooked at a fairly high heat quickly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I don't see any problems with the kids menu, but I was raised with a "try anything" mentality and my kids, though I had a picky one, would have gone along with it, too.
    I agree. I think it looks good, but I'm the childless adult, what do I know. The target demo has to be families, right? I was fairly picky until about age 12-14. When I was 13 I went to Les Chefs de France and ordered the escargot on a whim. Since then I'll eat anything.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    My problem with the menu is that it's fine dining without the wine- I like wine with my fine dining. But that's the MK for you, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm just not excited about Be Our Guest. I probably won't be trying it any time soon. But that's me.
    I agree. It is nice to have some wine with dinner, but it I'm still glad there's no booze in the MK. I'm more interested to see how others like it than to try it myself. I probably will, but in a few years.

It does raise a point I hadn't thought of before: many restaurants would fail if they couldn't serve wine and coctails. What will they be charging for the meals at Be Our Guest to make the numbers work out? Disney does like to make a profit after all.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy 1 View Post
    Seared Mahi Mahi is not breaded it is usually seared in butter or other light juice to attain a crisp outer coating with a tender juicy inside. It is usually cooked at a fairly high heat quickly
    You do realize I was being sarcastic, right? It was a joke about a fish kids' meal usually being fish sticks. I've seared many a fish.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

To answer a PP - the Disney Web Site lists the price range from $15.00 - $35.99. The menus provided do not list any prices. Two things I noticed - 1) dessert is included with all adult entrees and 2) the child's menu says to add $2.00 for the grilled steak, but fails to mention what you are adding the $2.00 to.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like this place is the perfect counter to the outcry about how bland the kids menus have been for years.

Personally I think it's time for MK to "grow up" and allow an adult to order a glass of wine with their meal. The "tradition" reason is very weak. Every trip my wife and I think "Hey why don't we do a table service in MK for once" then we look at the options, nothing excites us, and we remember that they consider alcohol to be naughty naughty and skip it.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting points made, DISNEYD INK! And I agree, Quadstriker!

I, also a childless adult, was really surprised but happy to see the BOG menu.

We won't be back until 2013, but we will definitely give this a try. I really do not like the food at MK. In fact, we haven't done one dinner at MK in our past 6 trips. I really do not care for the pseudo-Italian at Tony's, Cindy's seems to be more for the kids and more about your money going toward photos for dinner, etc. - I'd rather spend our money at the restaurants at the other parks and resorts.

So, while there is no guarantee that this will be GOOD, I think it will be worth a try.

I think they are taking a page out of Universal's book. The Three Broomsticks restaurant at Islands of Adventure does not serve the usual quick-service fare. In fact, they do not even sell soda (I'm not counting the Butter Beer) because it is not in the HP novels. You would think that wouldn't fly at Universal because they really seem to celebrate junk food. Quite the opposite! The place is packed all the time with adults, children, etc. (although they do have mac and cheese and chicken nuggets for kids). In fact, the artwork from Gaston's pub kind of reminds me of Three Broomsticks... I bet we see an addition of some sort of non-alcoholic soda/beer...

I think BOG has a real chance of filling a void at MK for the part of the crowd looking for something a little bit different.

If it doesn't fit the need, we're sure to see menu changes at BOG!
    '85-Disney Village Hilton; '87-Poly; '88-Day Trip-Disneyland; '89-GF; '94-GF; '97-ASMu; '98-Dixielandings; '02-CBR; '03-Offsite; '03-ASMo; '04-WL; '04-Offsite; '05-POFQ; '06-POFQ; '08-POP; '09-POP; '11-POP; '13-Day Trip-HS; Up next: Oct. '14-Day Trip-MK

Post Thanks / Like

I think the menu looks interesting, and can't wait to try it in Nov
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Checking in from the picky eater planet .
    I struggle in general to find anywhere that my mother really likes. She is the only person I know who can walk the entire World Showcase and not find a single thing she would like to eat. There are only 6 entrees on the menu at BOG, so it is automatically going to be a tougher place to make her happy.I tend to better with her when we do buffets.

I really don't have an issue with the kid's menu. My picky children don't really like the standard kid's meal's items either (other than pizza ) They don't eat burgers and let's be honest the kid's nuggets are pretty bad.

I am usually happy as long as there is one thing my child is willing to eat. In most cases, if there is pasta, I request it with salt and butter and we are good.

I think it is a good thing that the kids menus are getting healthier. I certainly try to have them eat more fruit, more vegetable, more whole grains at home. But I find it a bit disingenuous that you can get a Mickey Bar just about anywhere but the meatloaf has to be turkey.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    Sounds to me like this place is the perfect counter to the outcry about how bland the kids menus have been for years.

Personally I think it's time for MK to "grow up" and allow an adult to order a glass of wine with their meal. The "tradition" reason is very weak. Every trip my wife and I think "Hey why don't we do a table service in MK for once" then we look at the options, nothing excites us, and we remember that they consider alcohol to be naughty naughty and skip it.
    I agree. Especially on vacation I like a glass of wine with dinner.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the menu looks rather decent for an MK restaurant - indeed a stronger one than any existing sit-down (not that there's much competition outside the Crystal Palace). The picky eaters (if this is the source of any discontent) are already more well-catered to at MK than any other park.

I concur though that the lunchtime menu seems to be a stronger theme-park restaurant offering than the evening.

I am allergic to wine and so can't really comment on that issue, but is it really that necessary to have it with a meal? Most gastronomes I know tend to favour water over it nowadays anyway.
    I've got a dirty thumb.

The People of Anandapur and the Royal Anandapur Wildlife and Forestry Authority trust you will enjoy your walk and ask that you respect and honor these lovely creatures with behavior appropriate for peaceful co-existence.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the boat that thinks the Children's menu looks good and is going in the right direction as far as looking more like the adult menu.
    In November, my girls turn 10 on the 4th day of our stay. I have upgraded them to the adult menu (even though I could have kept them on the children menu). The reason, is that my girls do not and never have eaten chicken nuggets and pbj. So, the pasta and marinara was pretty much the only thing they would eat on the kids menu. Often, I would just ask for plain pasta for them. When you go for 7+ days, they would be so sick of the same choices over and over and over again.

That said, I am a little surprised they did not have chicken nuggets or mac 'n cheese for those kids that do like the 'traditional stuff' they serve at most of the restaraunts. But, I suppose the pasta and meat was considered that stapple item.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

The restaurant is supposed to be french, so I wouldn't go in expecting American food. My children would have been happy with the menu when they were young.

As far as having all the "foreign" restaurants in Epcot, that is what World Showcase is about. I don't think it would have anything to do with selling more park hopper tickets.

Alcohol in MK? I've seen people drinking in Epcot. Not everyone is responsible. I'm perfectly happy with not having to deal with that in MK and waiting until I am out of that park to have a drink.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: