Quantcast What to do during a tropical storm or hurricance?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do during a tropical storm or hurricance?

We are heading to WDW this weekend for 8 days and it looks like Monday we'll be running into Isaac.
    Besides hitting the parks in the rain, DisneyQuest, or catching a movie - what other activities can fill up a stormy day?
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2005, Hurricane Wilma crossed over Florida as a Category 3 Hurricane while on our honeymoon. At that time Disney evacuated the campgrounds to rooms that were available at other Disney resorts till the storm passed. All resorts, transportation and parks were locked down, meaning you were not leaving your hotel unless there was an emergency.

If you are staying on Disney Property you are in the safest spot you can be during a Hurricane as the resorts are designed to withstand majors storms. Disney will keep you posted via messages as to what is going on and what to expect.

We were at the Wilderness Lodge, they had activities for the kids and even had some CM dress up in Characters for photos and autograph signings. By noon the storm and all activities opened and they even had fireworks that night.

So depending on what level Issac is at when it hits will determine what you can and cant do.

I would pack maybe some games or bring some dvd's to play in your hotel room and have a nice day to rest. If the monorails are up... take a monorail ride and explorer the hotels that are part of the MK loop.
    Brer_Fox

Disney Trips
    1988-2000 - 3 Trips Off Property

Oct 2005 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon)
    Oct/Nov2006 - Wilderness Lodge
    Oct/Nov2008 - Wilderness Lodge/ Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Oct/Nov 2012 - Beach Club Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Disney will provide you with excellent directions should the storm come your way. If conditions are severe enough, they will close all the parks and will instruct you to remain in your room/building. They will provide ample time for you to be able to stock up on snacks/sandwiches etc so that you have food and drinks for the duration.

If the storm is not severe enough to close the parks, it will be business as usual and you can visit the parks and/or do some of the other things you've suggested.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Could do the dinner and movie at Downtown Disney which I have heard is fun. You get to watch the latest movies while eating dinner. I believe Mel talked about it in one of the recent podcasts, around Mothers Day, I think?

Can do the bowling thing at Downtown Disney, does anyone know if this is officially open yet? When we were there in January it was still under construction.

Can go and see Cirque at Downtown Disney. And then like you mentioned there is always Disney Quest.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Once Upon A Toy and buy some board games. Pack a deck of cards, some movies and stock up on snacks. It will be fun
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

i was just looking into the weather update also, as I am down here now and supposed to leave Orlando Tuesday
    as they said, movies, dvds,games
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we were down during this time, and thought Irene would be a factor...
    It was a factor all right, at home. Florida never saw anything.
    I live in Northern, NJ and the devastation left by Irene in my town and the surrounding areas was epic.
    Also, had a moment of panic one evening while enjoying a stroll in WDW...we have a boat that needed to get moved to higher ground (marina did end up flooding and cut our season short) and while our house didn't flood, I wanted someone to be there to monitor things.
    So...the moral of my story is, you never know how the Jet Stream will carry the storm.
    However, Disney does have a Hurricane policy, and will implement it when they need too.
    Good Luck!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Our family of 6 got to experience Hurricane Charlie in 2005. Went to MK the day it hit and we were let in free because the parks closed at 1pm. Went back to our off-site hotel and waited out the storm.. Hotel lost power and had to move the next day to a sister hotel in Downtown Disney.

Central Florida was a mess with lots of damage and power outages.

We made the rope drop at EPCOT - like nothing even happened. The park was in great shape.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it can be costly, cirque du soleil is a must see!!! A fantastic show that I love!!! I have seen it twice and would go again!!!

5 days!!!
    Lindsey
    1991-2005: every year!
    Aug 05/06: OKW
    March, May, & Oct 07: SS
    Nov 08: SS
    Aug 09: SS
    Sept '11: AKL
    Dec '11: BW
    Mar '12: SS, WL, DCL Dream!
    Aug '12: Pop
    Oct '13: OKW
    Feb '14: AKL
    Dec '14: AKL
    Feb 15: Beach Club
    Feb 16: BWV
    Oct 16: Aulani
    Feb 17: BWV

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey310 View Post
    Even though it can be costly, cirque du soleil is a must see!!! A fantastic show that I love!!! I have seen it twice and would go again!!!

5 days!!!
    My daughter always wanted to see it, what a nice idea. I imagine that Downtown Disney will be open, just wet........
    Keep smiling and Have a magical day!!!
    It's all good.

We love to serve fun, food, and deliciousness.

AKA: Jean and Marty

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to note the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm. It is is a hurricane blowing through WDW nothing will be open and everyone best be working on staying safe with supplies to wait out the storm and possible power outages.
    5/21 SSR & BCV
    11/19 Copper Creek Villas
    5/17 - Boardwalk Villas & Swan
    10/14 Legacy Villas
    10/11 & 12 Coronado Springs
    1981 - 2010 Offsite
    1974,76,78 Fort Wilderness
    8/87 - 05 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrte62 View Post
    I think you have to note the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm. It is is a hurricane blowing through WDW nothing will be open and everyone best be working on staying safe with supplies to wait out the storm and possible power outages.
    You are absolutely correct. If the storm / hurricane is severe enough, Disney always looks out for the safety of their guests and their employees. There have been a few times over the years where a hurricane has shut down the park and restaurants for a day or 2. We were down for Hurricane Frances in 2004, and we spent a couple days in our All-Star room, waiting it out.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: